• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Acoustic Sounds, Analogue Productions, Quality Record Pressings

Looks like they are also repressing the RCA Living Stereo releases, and it looks like they are getting some good press. From what I have seen over the years it appears the majority of AK members are largely rock listeners with a smaller segment of Jazz and a few Classical listeners. Personally when it comes to really hi grade vinyl Classical is where it is needed the most and possibly acoustical solo works, as IMO as those two genres have a real need for really quite background. Its not like your going to hear a little bit of surface noise when Jimmy Hendrix is wailing on the guitar, or Black Sabbath is selling out his soul. The RCA Living Stereo's are getting a bit pricy for more difficult ones to find, so a good repress is an alternative for those people who are not dedicated to owning a early or first pressing.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/9...njamin_Romantic_Fantasy-200_Gram_Vinyl_Record

Ken the Living Stereo are full blown Audiophile mastered at Analogue Productions and then pressed at Quality Record Pressing I have seen them in the store. Packaging is first class and every AP I have listen to blows me away. I would highly recommend you shopping their records, and to save a few bucks do the search under all records and put in Quality Record Pressing. They have a ton of stuff you would like.
 
Jeez, sorry.

^^^
Sorry here to. A bit off topic.
Sorry also....

Ok a little background is in order, I have been wanting to start a thread like this that will be helpful to members here. I for one have at least 2000+ new issues in the 180-200g class and there is a ton of stuff out there. I think they are pressing and mastering grate records today and a lot of them are better than old copies, and some are not but that percentage is small. Well small if you know what to look for when buying, not every new record is good.

I used to have ALL my new records filed together but needed to make some room, so a separation was in order. I decided to split up what I consider "Real Audiophile" records, like Analogue Productions, Sheffield Labs, MFSL, DCC, Classic Records among others which is around 600+ titles. Records that tend to be no holds bar all the way though production for an outstanding product. Now a days everybody is knocking out quote-un-quote limited audiophile records, while very good they just may not be in the same class. The new kid on the block is
Analogue Productions who has taken the top spot IMHO, they just take it farther than Classic did and MFSL does.

A really big part of it is the pressing plants for grate records as well as the materials used and how they perform their job. If the record was pressed at Pallas pressing plant Germany I want that record, 99% of their production is very good. You can have the best mastering in the world but if they don't do the best job possible in the pressing you don't have a great record.

Falling in love with every Analogue Productions titles I have, I started to research them and looking at what they are doing. Thats why this thread is started so people know how good Analogue Productions and Quality Record Pressing is. But you also don't have to just get AP products to get the grate pressing work at QRP. They only opened in 2011 and just added 9 presses in 2015 as well as all the equipment from Doug Sax. They look like they are starting to get a lot of work, full catalogues from Rush, Kiss, Hendrix, The Who and many others in Blues, Jazz, Classical and Rock. None of witch are AP records but QRP is getting contracted to press.

IMO we need to look for products from AS, AP and QRP, well unless you like to read new record bashing threads by someone that bought a limited 180g record imported from the Czech Republic...:rolleyes:

Now there is many grate mastering, labels, pressing plants but just not in this thread. However I did state labels are going to QRP to get their work done right.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the info - it's not on Amazon but looks like I can pick up a new one on EBay for a pretty good price. It's cheaper than I can get the MFSL release so I think I'll do that.
Do you want to wait for a review? well only my opinion.
I have mint old copies, first pressings, MFSL and this new Rhino 2016 limited edition pressed at QRP.

Hey I just seen it's for brick and mortar stores only, kinda like RSD.
 
I swear by Analogue Productions and buy them whenever possible. I own quite a few and have never (ever) been disappointed.
Their Blue Note 45rpm re-issues are worth their weight in gold!
Analogue Productions = Top notch.

Edit: No affiliation.
 
Last edited:
I swear by Analogue Productions and buy them whenever possible. I own quite a few and have never (ever) been disappointed.
Their Blue Note 45rpm re-issues are worth their weight in gold!
Analogue Productions = Top notch.

Edit: No affiliation.
Yep one would be better served if they pay attention at what is coming out on AP, like the whole CCR catalogue, no more need for 4 men with beards.
 
I wish I could be as cheery about AP as you and the Nines.

My only fully produced AP record was a mixed effort. I bought the Brubeck "Time Out" 45rpm 2 LP pressing a few years ago. The side with only Take Five has a very thin and crackly sounding section right in the middle of the song. Also one other side has over modulation issues.(very Harsh) The rest sounds glorious. I usually listen to my Columbia Jazz Masterpieces CD instead. Have not paid $50 for any more of their pressings. Once bitten twice shy.

But IME quality control is lacking. If they did indeed press my 2 recent recently purchased Rush reissues, then it was a 50/50 proposition. Moving Pictures was great (near perfect), Permanent Waves was dull and lifeless, with moderate surface noise. PW was returned.

Just telling you my actual real world results. Good and Bad deserve equal mention.
 
Sorry also....

Ok a little background is in order, I have been wanting to start a thread like this that will be helpful to members here. I for one have at least 2000+ new issues in the 180-200g class and there is a ton of stuff out there. I think they are pressing and mastering grate records today and a lot of them are better than old copies, and some are not but that percentage is small. Well small if you know what to look for when buying, not every new record is good.

I used to have ALL my new records filed together but needed to make some room, so a separation was in order. I decided to split up what I consider "Real Audiophile" records, like Analogue Productions, Sheffield Labs, MFSL, DCC, Classic Records among others which is around 600+ titles. Records that tend to be no holds bar all the way though production for an outstanding product. Now a days everybody is knocking out quote-un-quote limited audiophile records, while very good they just may not be in the same class. The new kid on the block is
Analogue Productions who has taken the top spot IMHO, they just take it farther than Classic did and MFSL does.

A really big part of it is the pressing plants for grate records as well as the materials used and how they perform their job. If the record was pressed at Pallas pressing plant Germany I want that record, 99% of their production is very good. You can have the best mastering in the world but if they don't do the best job possible in the pressing you don't have a great record.

Falling in love with every Analogue Productions titles I have, I started to research them and looking at what they are doing. Thats why this thread is started so people know how good Analogue Productions and Quality Record Pressing is. But you also don't have to just get AP products to get the grate pressing work at QRP. They only opened in 2011 and just added 9 presses in 2015 as well as all the equipment from Doug Sax. They look like they are starting to get a lot of work, full catalogues from Rush, Kiss, Hendrix, The Who and many others in Blues, Jazz, Classical and Rock. None of witch are AP records but QRP is getting contracted to press.

IMO we need to look for products from AS, AP and QRP, well unless you like to read new record bashing threads by someone that bought a limited 180g record imported from the Czech Republic...:rolleyes:

Now there is many grate mastering, labels, pressing plants but just not in this thread. However I did state labels are going to QRP to get their work done right.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify. I can't find any disagreement with you there...

AP (and QRP) have been producing some real stunners! I have a bunch of the their Blue Note and Prestige repressings.

The only Pallas pressings that I knowingly own are the Beatles' mono reissues and the two volumes of the Beatles' BBC sessions (ordered from Europe, to ensure Pallas pressings), and those are all perfectly executed. I think my superlative IMP 2x45 pressing of "Mingus Ah Um" might also be a Pallas pressing?

I wish I could be as cheery about AP as you and the Nines.

My only fully produced AP record was a mixed effort. I bought the Brubeck "Time Out" 45rpm 2 LP pressing a few years ago. The side with only Take Five has a very thin and crackly sounding section right in the middle of the song. Also one other side has over modulation issues.(very Harsh) The rest sounds glorious. I usually listen to my Columbia Jazz Masterpieces CD instead. Have not paid $50 for any more of their pressings. Once bitten twice shy.

That's a shame... I have that same edition and it's gorgeous from start to end. Were you not able to exchange it for a replacement copy?

Speaking of Brubeck's "Take Five" on CD, the commonly found $6 Legacy CD sounds amazing, and is secretly encoded with HDCD (if your player can decode it).
 
I wish I could be as cheery about AP as you and the Nines.

My only fully produced AP record was a mixed effort. I bought the Brubeck "Time Out" 45rpm 2 LP pressing a few years ago. The side with only Take Five has a very thin and crackly sounding section right in the middle of the song. Also one other side has over modulation issues.(very Harsh) The rest sounds glorious.
But IME quality control is lacking. If they did indeed press my 2 recent recently purchased Rush reissues, then it was a 50/50 proposition. Moving Pictures was great (near perfect), Permanent Waves was dull and lifeless, with moderate surface noise. PW was returned.
Just telling you my actual real world results. Good and Bad deserve equal mention.
Brubeck "Time Out" 45rpm
I am going to start a thread on critiquing fine audiophile pressing. But in that thread the poster has to state the equipment used in vinyl play back or not post their oppinion. Some people expect perfection (what ever that is) with records and want it on their equipment/all equipment. Our equipment plays a huge roll in how a record sounds. I was going to link you to a Steve Hoffman thread, and then I kept seeing overwhelming reviews all over the web that states the opposite that you presented. But that's all for another thread.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify. I can't find any disagreement with you there...
AP (and QRP) have been producing some real stunners! I have a bunch of the their Blue Note and Prestige repressings.

The only Pallas pressings that I knowingly own

That's a shame... I have that same edition and it's gorgeous from start to end.

Thanks just trying to inform and give history here and what taking place with this company.

We should also start a Pallas thread.

The Brubeck "Time Out" 45rpm really has nothing but five star reviews.
 
Our equipment plays a huge roll in how a record sounds.

Absolutely true, it's important to know the gear being used when reading reviews.

Example: Some reviewers feel that the recent MFSL 2 x 45 of Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" is bass-heavy and dull on top; others say it is perfectly balanced and natural.
 
Last edited:
Absolutely true, it's important to know the gear being used when reading reviews.

Example: Some reviewers feel that the recent MFSL 2 x 45 of Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" is bass-heavy and dull on top; others say it is perfectly balanced and natural.
That's why I want a critiquing thread on records here with equipment, matrix # and country of origin. To many people come here and just say this new title sux, it's noisy, then I have the same title "I think" but don't hear all that noise. bayoutiger had a thread not to long ago, he got a Oracle Delphi SME 309 arm and decided to buy a Sumiko Blackbird for it.

Here
After 40+ years, I finally get it!
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/after-40-years-i-finally-get-it.686370/
 
Do you want to wait for a review? well only my opinion.
I have mint old copies, first pressings, MFSL and this new Rhino 2016 limited edition pressed at QRP.

Hey I just seen it's for brick and mortar stores only, kinda like RSD.

I probably should have waited but when I saw "limited edition" and that it just came out, I had to jump. Now I will just cross my fingers that the review is good!
Also - thank you for starting this. I too have some Blue Note AP albums and they are great. It's going to be nice to have a place to come for this type of information.
 
Quality Record Pressings
Quality Record Pressings is a vinyl record pressing plant launched by music entrepreneur Chad Kassem in Salina, Kansas, United States in 2011. QRP sought to improve premier audiophile pressings, introducing innovations never before tried in the Record pressing industry.

In 2010 the acquisition of Classic Records, of Los Angeles, California, by Acoustic Sounds, was announced by Kassem and Classic Records Mike Hobson. Acoustic Sounds acquisition of Classic Records included the “Quiex SV-P” vinyl formulation/process, “Clarity Vinyl”, the unique 200-gram “flat profile” tooling and all other aspects of Classic’s proprietary vinyl pressing technology.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_Record_Pressings

Acoustic Sounds Purchases Classic Records
Michael Hobson, who founded Classic Records in 1994, will continue in an advisory role to Acoustic Sounds to ensure a smooth transition.

"Classic Records has always been driven by my desire to make the best sounding records possible, and to that end we have successfully innovated over the years such that we are now able to make an LP that sounds better than when we started 17 years ago. I have worked with Chad for over 20 years and have seen Acoustic Sounds grow into a powerhouse in the audiophile market. In many ways having Classic Records join the Acoustic Sounds empire is a logical progression and makes a lot of sense strategically. I am confident that Chad and Acoustic Sounds will carry on in the Classic tradition of the pursuit of sound excellence, and I am committed to making sure that our knowledge base and experience transfers completely,” said Hobson.

http://news.acousticsounds.com/post.cfm/acoustic-sounds-purchases-classic-records


 
How To Make a 200 gram Super Vinyl Profile LP Record

Published on May 14, 2013
This is a video taken at the Classic Records pressing plant which operated for the last two years before Classic Records was purchased by Chad Kassem's Acoustic Sounds. The video shows all the steps that it takes to press a Classic 200g SVP record on a customized SMT press using Kenan 550 vinyl. The press has since been moved to Salina Kansas and is presently pressing 200g records at Quality Record Pressing (QRP).

 
Just got the Analog Productions, QRP pressed Pet Sounds in stereo. It is stunning. All my old Capitol pressings of this are instantly obsolete.
 
I liked the video of them unloading that old warehouse full of old presses, what a find. They show a Ampex RTR which appears to be their source for making their pressings. Is that the normal format size tape that the music companies would provide you with if you wanted to do a remaster? I thought they would be using something a bit wider as I have seen some of the Studer machines and their tapes are much wider. Possibly depends on the number of tracks, but I really don't know. It would be interesting to hear from them the process involved in getting the master tapes, as that alone must be quite involved. But first things first they might have great LP's but their ability to mic well for their you tube videos sucks, you can't even hear what they are saying as their mic's are so muffled.
 
Count me as a 100% fan of both Classic Records pressings and Analogue Productions pressings. I have a fairly hefty group of both and they are always my reference even though I have the original first pressing in the country of origin and the Japanese pressings of the same titles. It is the Classics and the APs that win out every time. If I see that AP have something that I want, I won't even bother looking for the original pressing, even if it is sealed. The AP beats them all.

Chad should be Sainted by the Pope. Santa Vinyl.
 
Just got the Analog Productions, QRP pressed Pet Sounds in stereo. It is stunning. All my old Capitol pressings of this are instantly obsolete.
Yep I'm going to be dumping some records unless they are rare for some reason. I got The Doors infinite box set plus a full set of the individual copies.....soooo why have all my old copies.

Stevie Ray Vaughan same thing.

I have all theLed Zeppelin deluxe box sets pressed at Pallas plus 1,2,3 and 4 on Classic Records plus some test pressings....sooooo who needs a bunch of old copies.

My next move will be all the CCR and Sarah McLachlan at AP I do have some Sarah McLachlan Classic Records that I'll keep but the old ones need to go.
 
Last edited:
Just got the Analog Productions, QRP pressed Pet Sounds in stereo. It is stunning. All my old Capitol pressings of this are instantly obsolete.

FWIW, that was mastered from digital files, since it was not possible to do a stereo analog mix due to how it was recorded back in '65-'66.

The backing tracks were recorded on a four-track, which was mixed to mono and transferred to one track on an eight-track machine. The remaining seven tracks were then filled with vocal overdubs. The original LP was issued in mono and in fake (rechanneled) stereo.

For the purposes of creating a modern stereo mix, all of the original tracks - four instrumental and seven vocal - were transferred to digital and sync'd, enabling for the first time a true stereo mix.

Considering how much care was put into the writing and arranging, it's a shame that the original mono mix is so MUDDY... but it is what it is, and that's what Brian signed off on back in '66.
 
YEAH!!

I am a huge fan of Analogue productions and QRP

great thread....

I was over the moon when I opened my Hendrix LP's and saw the QRP sleeve....that's the way to do it right!

I always look for a release from them, first
 
Back
Top Bottom