• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Acrosound S1001

This preamp is odd.

The high level input goes straight to the tone circuit, then amplified/reversed.

So all the tone circuitry tend to pick up noise, which is amplified, instead of the classic design: 1st amplification, tone control (with loss), then re-amplification.
This design makes this preamp noisy.

And not using shielded wires makes matter worse. also some switches are soldered to the from panel. Not a great design IMO.

I made replica board but of course this did not solve anything.

I then started to change the circuit to a more classic preamp in simulation, but got side-tricked in the way.
That's as far as I went with it.

Brice.
 
This preamp is odd.

The high level input goes straight to the tone circuit, then amplified/reversed.

So all the tone circuitry tend to pick up noise, which is amplified, instead of the classic design: 1st amplification, tone control (with loss), then re-amplification.
This design makes this preamp noisy.

And not using shielded wires makes matter worse. also some switches are soldered to the from panel. Not a great design IMO.

I made replica board but of course this did not solve anything.

I then started to change the circuit to a more classic preamp in simulation, but got side-tricked in the way.
That's as far as I went with it.

Brice.
My experience with the S1001 is different from yours. I never used it in it's original "as found state" as I rebuilt everything before use. Yes, no shielded wires, just like the Dynaco PAS, but I corrected that (same as I did in my PAS). My S1001 is not noisy but does have a low level hum, possibly due to the close quarters of the power supply to everything and it being tube rectified plus needing new electrolytics (rebuild was in 93'). I will fix all of the PS issues this time around (same as I did with my PAS with a solid state rectifier for the HV.
 
I bought the one that multichamp built. He did a great job assembling it and I think it sounds quite nice. It’s being powered by the ULII amplifier through the octal socket. Credits to Brice on the help with the ULII. I just took out a fully restored Marantz 2275 which is about as good as it gets vintage for me and I do not want to put it back in the system if that tells you anything on the sound.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4294.jpeg
    IMG_4294.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4292.jpeg
    IMG_4292.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4290.jpeg
    IMG_4290.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom