• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Active Studio Monitors

Register to hide this ad
i've heard a lot of actual studio monitors over the years in studios and at shows. i don't care for the Genelec sound, too dry to me.

the point about cost is the main point imo. a couple mid priced small monitors and a good sub though is a nice possibility!
 
I am familiar with the JBL version, the LSR6328SP. Plenty of power, excellent music, very flat, first-rate speaker systems. However, they are very expensive at ~1,600/each and are very sterile looking (studio gray), run unbalanced XLR inputs, need power to each speaker, and are designed to be near-field monitors not large room speakers.

If you're mixing, definitely the monitors. If you're listening to music for other reasons, there are a lot of choices at that price level.
 
There are plenty of people who use active monitors ( pro and consumer) in their home listening environment. I certainly do. Genelec 1031a and a pair of 1094 subs, in my office next to the Harbeths are KRK V4 , and there's a set of Miller and Kreisel MPS2510P around here somewhere.

I think that manufacturers are merely segmenting the market and capitalizing on the various segments. creates pricing strategies that keeps brands and consumers in their lane, Hell the audio cable industry made a fortune doing the same thing. 75ohm coax gets sold 4 different ways with nothing more than some outer jacket change and packing and yet they were able to get folks to never mix them for use in other applications. It's Video Cable, wait it's Audio Interconnects, No , it's a Subwoofer Cable, hold up, it's "digital coax" - Same geometry different price tiers and packaging. but I digress...

which reminds me... Phil Jones just introduced a new Active speaker within the past couple of months.
Air pulse Model 1 Active speakers

Paradigm had their Reference Studio 20 and 40 Active speakers

Genelec HT Series ( HT208 / HT210 - essentially the 1031a and 1030 marketed to the home audio / home theater market

Miller & Kreisel - hell they sold the same speakers to 2 segments under different model numbers with virtually no change in design. The MPS2510P = S-150P one pro the other consumer targeted.
why poeple have this brand pegged as "home theater" speaker is a discussion for another thread.

AudioEngine, Paradigm Shift, and the whole "active desktop segment"

ATC has active and passive versions of the SCM 20 ( I own the passive version)

My point is that in the right space "studio/ Pro" audio active monitors are great! and there are several consumer marketed Active speakers out there these days - most home users will almost certainly overlook the additional thousand that are brands "studio / pro" despite the fact that in near/mid applications which is how many will be used, they are certainly suitable .
 
Why are these not more used in home systems?

https://www.genelec.com/studio-monitors/8000-series-studio-monitors/8050b-studio-monitor

Never saw one outside a studio

Would belive they are close to perfect in ruler flat frequency response and reproduction of source material.

Is the thought of it just too boring ?

Genelec, JBL Pro, Adam Audio - they are all good speakers. Though most will require a subwoofer or two to provide full range sound. Of cause there are full range speakers in that segment too. Good models are not cheap, but prices are more competitive - people buy them for business and thus always keep in mind price/performance ratio. Of cause you have to give up something like piano lacquer finish.
 
Having to have each one plugged into the wall certainly doesn't help their popularity.

Something is going to be plugged into the wall. does it really matter to folks if it's an amp ( or 2 ) or the speakers. I'd hope people can rationalize the sameness of needing to have power supplied to something , external amp or internal amp.
 
It all depends on the situation. A couple powered speakers not too far apart ain't bad. But, consider my HT. Seven speakers and 4/7ths of them aren't near existing receptacles. OTOH, the four stereo amps powering them are all stacked in one cabinet, connected to power at a quad box behind the stack.

I've recently converted my pair of Behringer B2031Ps to fully biamp operation (stripped out internal crossovers and installed 4-pole SpeakOns for connection direct to woofers and tweeters). Each one is driven by a stereo power amp located near the speaker, with long interconnects going back to the centrally-located crossover/DSP, preamp, etc.

So, guess my point is I see both ends of the spectrum.
 
Last edited:
The best speakers I've ever heard are my KRK Expose E8Bs. Next to no-one uses them. Anyone who can afford them turns their noses up at them because they are KRKs. They require excellent Source components to sound great because they will not flatter anything upstream of them. I can't say enough about how much I like these speakers, but I rarely post about them because nobody has heard them.
 
The best speakers I've ever heard are my KRK Expose E8Bs. Next to no-one uses them. Anyone who can afford them turns their noses up at them because they are KRKs. They require excellent Source components to sound great because they will not flatter anything upstream of them. I can't say enough about how much I like these speakers, but I rarely post about them because nobody has heard them.

Ahem... :) not only the E8B but the E8T as well with focal drivers - heck come to think of it , even the old KRK K-Rok passives used focal woofers. ( talk about a great speaker for HOME use that is well under the radar). Stanton group would bring several of the KRK models on the road at the old REMIX HOTEL events. ( miss those events ) in NY and Miami at the Winter Music Conference.
 
I love my little JBl LSR305's. Best sound I've ever had at my desk and for under two hundred...a steal imho. Of course I fully expect that the internal amps may not have the best components in there and these may not give 20 years of trouble free listening. We shall see...

jblnut
 
I always love it when you post about the Meridians tubed. I remember reading the reviews of the M10. Are they your daily listening monitor?
 
I always love it when you post about the Meridians tubed. I remember reading the reviews of the M10. Are they your daily listening monitor?
In good time as soon as things cool off in the studio and new ferro fluid in the tweets.
Here's some more pics of the trannies and amp boards for everyones enjoyment;)
Picture 017.jpg
Picture.jpg

Picture 016.jpg
 

Attachments

  • Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1
Old post, but yeah. I wish I would have bought enough for a complete surround system when they (the non-powered P model) was on clearance at $75 each.
A nice price that was. They get a lot of criticism for cloning, but I've used a lot of their pro stuff and been satisfied.
 
Back
Top Bottom