• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Active Studio Monitors

Depending on ones point of view, the joy, effort of searching and shopping for that "right synergy" in an amplifier is eliminated in a well designed active speaker.
Philips MFB 544 active speakers really sparkle.
I received these from a real deal music engineer in exchange for a painting.
Picture 1462.jpg
 
All I'm after right now is truth in sound. After spending most of my time and money on traditional HiFi systems, listening to some accurate studio monitors seems like a wake up call. Its one of those rare moments were your are deeply satisfied and know these might be the speakers that stick around for the long haul.

I certainly get the allure of having more components in the chain that can be upgraded or tweaked but I also really like simplicity. Right now I have a my DAC and Turntable connected to a Mackie Big Knob Passive which acts as a source selector and volume control running out to my Mackie HR824 mk2s.
 
After using the KRK Expose E8Bs I'd prefer to buy an active studio monitor than any audiophile amp/speaker combination. Which monitor will be the question.
 
I love my little JBl LSR305's. Best sound I've ever had at my desk and for under two hundred...a steal imho. Of course I fully expect that the internal amps may not have the best components in there and these may not give 20 years of trouble free listening. We shall see...
As someone who owns over a dozen pair of JBLs from L1 to 4345, let me say . . . the LSR305s just floored me. I was so impressed I bought a second pair!
 
Still extremely happy with my Mackies as my primary listening speakers. I'm beginning to wonder about some other brands os active studio monitors like ATC which are very well liked but likely out of my budget for some time.
 
Most of the studio self powered monitors need XLR or Neutrix style connector for your line input. Most people don't care to deal with that at home. I personally don't prefer self powered speakers. Even on my JBL sub, I prefer the speaker level in. Coming up with a long length line level RCA cable can be a pain or, at least, costly.
 
Still loving my Mackies for listening to music and movies. Even comparing them to my custom full range speakers the detail and imaging on these speakers is awesome! These are serious music listening tools and compete easily with other expensive HiFi minded audio gear.
 
Back
Top Bottom