• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADC cartridge identification

undergroundr

Active Member
I was thrilled to get this ADC cartridge on an Onkyo CPM-1130f I picked up for a very reasonable price today.

As you'll see in the picture, the stylus is labeled "ADC LM MK V". I'm not finding any reference to this model on Vinylengine or elsewhere. Is it some OEM model maybe?

Just want to make sure I get the right replacement stylus. I understand a lot of different model numbers are given to the same ADC cart chassis.

IMG_20110429_124011.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Congrats on the nice find, yes it does look like an OEM ADC and with a genuine ADC XLM stylus it should sound very nice. What turntable do you plan using it on?

Dave
 
Might work fine on the Onkyo, but be careful with the used stylus, they can be like new or worn and damage your LPs.

Dave
 
Hi all,

To revive a thread on ADC identification. I have an old ADC cartridge that I just ran across that I used in an AR XA table in the early '70's (in fact, it's still in the AR headshell). I'm having a devil of a time identifying it though. It has a silver body and round pins and the resistance is about 370 Ohms. The stylus holder, which is black, has on the nose in silver lettering ADC 950E, which I can't find referenced anywhere. Unfortunately, the stylus is broken off, which is why I recall it was taken out of service, but I would like to get a replacement stylus to give it a spin. Can anyone help with identifying what cartridge body it is and perhaps what would be a good replacement stylus for it? In looking at many photos pos ADC cartridges here and in other forums, the cartridge looks very similar to the QLM. I have a number of turntables, so the I can match pretty well any stylus compliance needed. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

LarryRS
 
The 950E was a house-brand or private-label model. With that 370-ohm measurement, you have what we can call a "Mk I" body, the same body that the original 1972 XLM used. ADC never called it the "Mk I" themselves, but as they went to the Mk II models in 1975 and then the Mk IIIs in 1977, the cartridge bodies were given progressively bigger coils inside, making backwards compatibility less and less likely. The problem is, the only easily-found styli using "Mk I" voicing nowadays are the lowest QLMs (30 Mk III and 32 Mk III) and the K models (K8, K8E, K7E, K6E, &c &c).

So, aside from getting a K8, or getting a Mk III body to be able to use more easily-available styli, what can you do?

The good Mk II styli (XLM, VLM, QLM 36) are voiced close enough to work well in a "Mk I" body. They're not as hard to find as the "Mk I" styli, but still not easy. thevoiceofmusic.com has new-old-stock QLM 36 Mk II styli, and NeedleDoctor has LMA-1 styli, but they're both around $60 shipped. So if you really want to get this cartridge running for reasonable money, I'd recommend getting a K8 conical and using it while you have a running search going for the Mk II XLM, VLM or QLM 36 at a price you feel comfortable with. In the AR, with no antiskate, I'd go for the VLM or QLM 36, ideally the Mk II VLM, which tracks at up to 2g, unique among top ADC styli of the '70s.

Note: The Super XLM Mk II and the XLM Mk II Improved will both sound bright in a "Mk I" body.
 
Last edited:
Wualta,

Thanks very much! That was very helpful! Might very well be a house brand. I hadn't thought of that but, at the time that that cartridge was purchased, EJ Korvette was a selling a lot of audio gear and that cartridge may well have come from there. Unfortunately, the AR XA that the headshell mentioned belonged to is long gone. But, for whatever reason, cartridges seem to stick around forever, usually tucked away in a drawer somewhere (has to be a size thing). Since the cartridge will find use in a table with antiskate (since I don't have any tables without it), I may just start a search for an original XLM or a replacement (Jico has an XLM listed (e000229) but, based on your description, I think it might be for the Mk II). Thanks again.

LarryRS
 
You're welcome!
Maybe send an email to Jico's Seth Kolon (noisemodule here on AK) asking him to find out which XLM body (Mk I, II or III) their e000229 is voiced for. Jico may have aimed for the Mk II, but the Mk III bodies are more plentiful, so there's a chance they went for those. Since the biggest change was going from Mk II to Mk III, this might make all the difference between something thin and/or bright sounding and something that has a nice balanced sound.
As original styli go rare, the aftermarket's efforts become more important, so let us know if Jico's XLM stylus satisfies. On the other hand, you might get [very] lucky and find an original XLM for a reasonable price whose suspension hasn't age-hardened.

Another note: Despite seeing models labeled everything from "Mk IV" to "Mk VII", there was nothing more advanced than the Mk III (Improved or not) era styli for XLM-style ADCs unless you count the sapphire-cantilevered Astrion.
 
Just ran across an interesting piece on that selling site - a NOS stylus for the XLM Type II Improved (that's what it says on the nose piece). Not sure if it will work with my cartridge but I lean toward a new replacement - I've had good luck and not so good luck in suspension condition on NOS styli. I'm looking toward replacing the styli on 3 of my old cartridges, the ADC we've discussed here, a Pickering XV-15 and an Empire 888TE. I'm actually hoping I can identify a single source for all 3 and maybe combine shipping (especially if international shipping). We shall see!


LarryRS
 
Last edited:
Just ran across an interesting piece on that selling site - a NOS stylus for the XLM Type II Improved (that's what it says on the nose piece). Not sure if it will work with my cartridge but I lean toward a new replacement - I've had good luck and not so good luck in suspension condition on NOS styli. I'm looking toward replacing the styli on 3 of my old cartridges, the ADC we've discussed here, a Pickering XV-15 and an Empire 888TE. I'm actually hoping I can identify a single source for all 3 and maybe combine shipping (especially if international shipping). We shall see!


LarryRS
If your talking about the one for 189.99 that isn't a mark 2 improved that is an STXLM MKII
 
At the risk of geeksplaining:
Despite its confusing name, the XLM Mk II Improved is not simply an improved version of the XLM Mk II. It was introduced alongside the XLM Mk III Improved, is a cost-reduced version of it and shares a cartridge body with it, all of which means it will lose overall output level and gain a boost above about 5kHz when used in a "Mk I" body.

That's as "wrong" as it gets; the combo will still track and play records just fine, but I don't recommend it for the simple reason that I don't want anyone to come away with the impression that ADCs are bright-sounding or bass-shy. If you can deal with the lower output and boosted high treble-- a combination that might give someone not expecting it the impression of weak bass-- it's a good stylus, and let's face it: sometimes you have to go with what's available and make it work. But it's not hard to find an XLM/VLM/QLM36/QLM34 Mk III body for that stylus, so the strategy of grabbing an NOS stylus while you can, then getting the matching body later, has some merit. Go with a vendor who will believe you if an NOS stylus shows signs of age-hardening and will accept returns.. or else go with Jico, which won't be what I'd call cheap but does offer a version with a Shibata diamond (e000231).

As the owner of an XV-15 and an 888TE, I sympathize and have found workarounds that work for me and for others, though not from a single source.
 
Last edited:
The one I was referring to said "XLM Type I Improved" on the nose of the stylus and was about $80. Wualta, I like geeksplaining - it's the kind of information that keeps someone like me who's not familiar with ADC cartridges from buying a mistake. I haven't yet heard back from Jico about the voicing of their stylus, when I do I will make a decision about the direction I should take.

LarryRS
 
The one I was referring to said "XLM Type I Improved" on the nose of the stylus and was about $80. Wualta, I like geeksplaining - it's the kind of information that keeps someone like me who's not familiar with ADC cartridges from buying a mistake. I haven't yet heard back from Jico about the voicing of their stylus, when I do I will make a decision about the direction I should take.

LarryRS

This one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TURNTABLE-S...069594?hash=item2f03ca8f9a:g:9k4AAOSwE0JY~ocC

There is no XLM Type I or, for that matter, MKI. There is, however (and just for the sake of cussedness), an XLM I, a stylus intended for the Integra integrated cartridge and headshell. It's a little closer to what you're looking for, in terms of compatibility and will fit your cartridge just fine. Resistance and inductance are a little lower than for the XLM MKII Improved so a little closer to what you have and would exhibit the flaws that wualta mentioned to a lesser degree.

John
 
Yes that's the one. Had it right (Type II) in my first reference to it but mistyped (Type I) in my second reference to it.

LarryRS
 
Back
Top Bottom