• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS L/1290 issue

Parents go on vacation, son has party, blows up speakers with monster receiver. It's like the good old days!

Do you have another set of speakers to verify the Pioneer is ok? It really sounds like the crossover took the hit but definitely get it fixed.

Well, times are different for sure. I wouldn't have had the balls to 1. touch my fathers system or 2. Lie to him about doing so;)

Did you open up the receiver yet to look for visual damage and any burn odors? I like the headphone idea for testing, and then test on some cheap crap speakers. Easy to find at yard sales thrifts, Salvation Army etc... I keep a pair of Minimus 7's on hand for just this that I paid 10 bucks for at a thrift.
Good luck!
Richard will get it back to new condition!

I have not opened the cabinet. I don't like moving the receiver by myself and where it is in my rack doesn't provide access easily to the screws etc. I will try the cheap speaker idea though. I have some in the office I can bring home. With any luck, maybe I can blow them :)
 
Sorry David. Didn't mean to make light of it. My dad had an SX1250 when I was a kid and I did have pretty free reign to blast the thing, but I was always careful about not dropping the needle with the volume way up or similar. I hope the step son has learned a lesson and everything gets fixed.

I'd offer up a set of speakers to test with if you were closer.
 
I'd keep peace in the homestead by agreeing with wifey that "it was probably the lightning." Knowing the truth of the matter won't lower your repair bill one dollar, but keeping peace in the household is priceless.

Of course, you already know what not to do again. ;)

GeeDeeEmm
 
Sorry David. Didn't mean to make light of it. My dad had an SX1250 when I was a kid and I did have pretty free reign to blast the thing, but I was always careful about not dropping the needle with the volume way up or similar. I hope the step son has learned a lesson and everything gets fixed.

I'd offer up a set of speakers to test with if you were closer.

No offense taken:) You were spot on!
 
I'd keep peace in the homestead by agreeing with wifey that "it was probably the lightning." Knowing the truth of the matter won't lower your repair bill one dollar, but keeping peace in the household is priceless.

Of course, you already know what not to do again. ;)

GeeDeeEmm

I do know now, for sure. I have a 9 and 6 year old daughter with no interest in my system (although that will change) and my step-son's been out of the house since getting my system. IDK, I am starting to think that yes, this is going to be expensive, but the speakers will likely sing better once their all repaired:)
 
1. I feel for the OP and personally would be kicking some step son ass but that's probably why I don't have kids.

2. I accept that **** happens, but having a party while the parents are out of town, not being responsible, and lying about it is NOT **** happening, its being a ****.

3. No kid has ever toted a Bose wave radio to a party...just sayin.
 
Do I dare ask what was being listened to during meltdown?
I have no idea. My guess is it was something like hip hop. He and his friends are in the rap is cool phase. They all have Subaru WRX's or equivalents and I swear they are confusing New Hampshire with Compton..
 
I have no idea. My guess is it was something like hip hop. He and his friends are in the rap is cool phase. They all have Subaru WRX's or equivalents and I swear they are confusing New Hampshire with Compton..

Subarus like Saabs before them have the highest national concentration in New England

/bugeye wrx owner
 
Here is the crossover which seemingly burned up. I don't own headphones so I can't test the receiver that way, but I do hear the 2 relays during start up which I read is a good sign. The white capacitor? If that's what it is in the pictures, seems to have gotten really hot and scorched under it, and then melted the wire spool and crossover case. This is what it 'looks' like.

The other speaker capacitor has no visual damage like this one, but of course it might be something I can't visually see that is impacting it.

20170725_175716.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 20170725_175751.jpg
    20170725_175751.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
doesn't this speaker have a fuse that should pop before this happens? **** got way hot here never mind what the kid did, how did this thing ment like this, how many components get damaged so far can you tell? lets take it apart and have more pics mind pulling it out and taking the cross the wire terminals (make notes for wire color order)
 
The white component looks like a resistor. And man did it get hot!

Yep. The white component is a resistor which, in the process of resisting current, gets hot. The fuse not blowing could have several causes, with the most likely one being that somebody along the way replaced the factory fuse with one of higher resistance, or a slow blow rating. With that in mind, it seems obvious to conclude that the previous owner(s) blew the factory fuse - maybe repeatedly - and substituted a higher-rated fuse with a slow blow rating. It happens all the time - and not with just speakers. Checking the recommended fuse rating against the one that is in there now will either confirm this guess or not.

GeeDeeEmm
 
Back
Top Bottom