• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS L-880's vs L-810's

According to HiFi engine the L880s and L810s have very little differences but there are some. The L810 is more efficient and has slightly lower LF extension from the dual 8" drivers, they're also 6 ohm & they're also heavier.

The L880s have some badass stands optional to them that let the cabinets swivel. $100 for L810 is an excellent deal.

Edit -- There is a wealth of information available over at hifiengine for both pairs.
 
Last edited:
I already have the 880s. It's the 810s this guy is selling that I am wondering about. I know soundmotor is an ADS guru on here, so when he says the 880s (which I already have) are maybe the best large bookshelf/ stand speaker that ADS made, and they won't be bested by the 810s, it makes me start to wonder if I should pass on the 810s (even if they are a good deal) and concentrate more on the equipment.

What version is the 810s? Condition?

For 100 bones you could have a fun weekend comparing the 810s and 880s and then sell the loser for a significant profit.
 
If that is what your thinking then I would definitely grab the Yamaha 2040. Take a look and listen to the rest an buy what you think is best and within your budget. Don't wait until it's all gone though.
 
OK right now my list has been pared down to the CR-2040, the YP-D4, and the 810s. If I can get all that for $300 I'll be happy. Reading up on the CR-2040 in other threads on here, it sure seems like a fine piece of equipment, highly thought of. It better do my ADS's proud. Believe it or not the best sound I have gotten out of my 880s, is pairing them with--wait for it-- a Radio Shack wireless digital audio link rear speaker kit! I have the source running straight into the transmitter box via RCA line in jacks, and then I'm transmitting the signal over to the receiver box, and outputting the signal to the speakers. I have no idea why this sounds so effing good with these ADS's, but I guess synergy really is everything. The amplifier circuit is a TDA7265 25x25 board. It's extremely simplistic--and cheap!-- but it sounds so good with these speakers, if I could find a higher end unit with the same amp circuitry I'd be all over it. But I digress....
 
I already have the 880s. It's the 810s this guy is selling that I am wondering about. I know soundmotor is an ADS guru on here, so when he says the 880s (which I already have) are maybe the best large bookshelf/ stand speaker that ADS made, and they won't be bested by the 810s, it makes me start to wonder if I should pass on the 810s (even if they are a good deal) and concentrate more on the equipment.
I have only heard the L880's on videos, which I know won't do them justice, but wouldn't the L980's be the TOTL large bookshelf ADS made? They were designed as studio monitors.
 
Thanks zunde. Soundmotor knows his ads stuff - your 880’s should really sing with this receiver!
 
Update- I haven't been able to snag the CR-2040 yet (although the seller says it isn't going anywhere, so hopefully down the road a bit.) However I was able today to buy the 810s and the Technics turntable (which actually turned out to be brand new in the box!- I posted about that over in the TT forum) for $250.

The 810s are in very good condition, with a few light nicks and scratches on the walnut cabinets here and there-- and both speakers seem to work perfectly. I will post a few pics in a bit. The only downside is that one of the speaker grilles was cracked and warped on one side- I am in the process of trying to repair it right now but we'll see how it goes. At any rate I am going to have to spend the next couple days A/B'ing between these and the 880s, man this is going to be a tough call.
 
Update- I haven't been able to snag the CR-2040 yet (although the seller says it isn't going anywhere, so hopefully down the road a bit.) However I was able today to buy the 810s and the Technics turntable (which actually turned out to be brand new in the box!- I posted about that over in the TT forum) for $250.

The 810s are in very good condition, with a few light nicks and scratches on the walnut cabinets here and there-- and both speakers seem to work perfectly. I will post a few pics in a bit. The only downside is that one of the speaker grilles was cracked and warped on one side- I am in the process of trying to repair it right now but we'll see how it goes. At any rate I am going to have to spend the next couple days A/B'ing between these and the 880s, man this is going to be a tough call.
Things could be worse!
 
I've been A/B'ing these today against the 880s and they really do sound very similar. I have to say I think I agree with soundmotor- I think the 880s are a bit more balanced, they seem to reach a tad bit lower and are a bit tighter with the 9.5" woofer. The 810's give the impression of good low end, but i think it's more a tiny bit of overemphasis (bloat?) from the 2 8" drivers in each cabinet. But they both sound very very good.
Unfortunately the one 810 grille I mentioned previously is pretty much irreparable- it is warped to the point I'm cracking it more if I try to bend it back to shape. Maybe another reason to go with the 880s. :D

A few pics:


20180203_155551.jpg 20180203_155208.jpg 20180203_153717.jpg 20180203_153724.jpg
 
i really like my 710s

:thumbsup: There's a pretty strong contingency around these parts that the 710s actually sound better than the 810s- more balanced without the occasional low end "huff." I've never heard the 710s so can't compare- I really like the 810s though.
 
Pretty sure this is the 910s, not the 880s. To my knowledge none of the x80 series had swivel stands, they were all stationary floor stands.

The 880s did have an optional stand that let the user rotate the speaker left and right — it lifted the speaker 2 or 3 feet off the ground and looked nothing like the 910 stand.
 
The 880s did have an optional stand that let the user rotate the speaker left and right — it lifted the speaker 2 or 3 feet off the ground and looked nothing like the 910 stand.

Ah. Sorry I thought you meant the stands that screw into the sides of the speakers and allow them to swivel up/down. I don't believe I've ever seen the stands you are referring to--would be very interesting!
 
I already have the 880s. It's the 810s this guy is selling that I am wondering about. I know soundmotor is an ADS guru on here, so when he says the 880s (which I already have) are maybe the best large bookshelf/ stand speaker that ADS made, and they won't be bested by the 810s, it makes me start to wonder if I should pass on the 810s (even if they are a good deal) and concentrate more on the equipment.
Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 9.25.29 PM.png

"F9P" stands -- you can find out a wealth of informaiton on the l880 and l810s at www.hifiengine.com

i quoted the wrong post oops
 
View attachment 1105685

"F9P" stands -- you can find out a wealth of informaiton on the l880 and l810s at www.hifiengine.com

i quoted the wrong post oops

Awesome!! Probably not much a chance of tracking those down though... I do already have the traditional metal floor stands that angle the 880s back a smidge (well not the original ADS stands but I had a pair made for me by a local company that did a superb job.) I put the 810's on those same stands to listen to them and they fit rather well.

Here's a really crappy photo

20180130_173943.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom