• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS L1090/2's - Really?

Is this statement based upon personal experience?
Soundmotor:

I certainly meant no disrespect by this. As you can tell, quite obviously from my posts, I am pretty passionate in my feelings for these speakers. Having said that, I have never designed a loudspeaker, worked for a loudspeaker manufacturer of even been an employee of a real Hi-Fi dealer. I am an enthusiast that enjoys listening to music through something other than most of today's offerings. I have learned much in my short time on AK due to the generosity of many here. I still have very much to learn, but I do know what I like and enjoy. At least within the orb of what I have been exposed to thus far.

Dave
 
I didn't work at a speaker manufacturer, but I'm friends with someone who did, AND I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night....AND I have some ads L880's that are pretty badass...I have 1290's too...you're welcome to jam up here any time you want and A/B them. I actually think I like the 880s better than the 1290's..probably sacreligious to say that here but my ears are my ears (as opposed to being someone else's ears).
 
Oh crap! Let me just back out of the room slowly ... ;)
I didn't state what I did there. :D

Between my senior year in high school and freshman year in college I worked at a white van speaker manufacturer. I was the guy that painted the black on the particle board showing on the back of the speaker cabinets. :yikes: As I recall some of the models sounded pretty decent, but what did I know I was only 17. I had the opportunity to sail to Catalina Island for a week with my buddy from high school on his parents 28 foot sloop. They wouldn't give me the time off so I quit. Glad I went as that was one of my favorite adventures from my youth. :thmbsp:

And the reason it remains nameless is because I can't remember the name of the company.
 
Dave
You are more then welcome to visit and A/B any of the ADS I own. We are likely about 45 min away from each other.
 
I didn't work at a speaker manufacturer, but I'm friends with someone who did, AND I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night....
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Well, I've spent the last 26 years of my life in a cave writing CAD software. As a result, I know nothing of loudspeaker design other than what I have gleaned here.

Dave
 
Well he worked at ADS. ;)

I think his comment was not dissing the L1090 but merely stating the bigger brothers got more attention. Many think the L1090 was better balanced and maybe the better sounding of the three sans deep bass. I've owned L1090's before and now have L980's. The 980 and 1590 share the same mid and tweet domes. I really liked my 1090's but don't remember the highs and imaging being as good as the 980's. :no:

I've played around with all of them over the years and I think they are all very good and they are all similiar sounding. The 1090 is the most impressive sounding at first listen but I actually think the L1590 might be the most refined and best balanced of the three if setup properly. I've also heard all of them sound almost unnatural and tizzy with the wrong electronics. However with good electronics they leave little to be desired. In fact I'd say their only weakness might be that the midrange is not the most natural but still acceptable and in their own way pleasant. I was comparing the 1590's to a pair of JBL 250Ti's the other day and while the JBL's are more neutral the ADS's are more musical and more enjoyable on most music.


Mike
 
The 1090s are great. What the 1290s and 1590s offer is perhaps not the refinement of the 1090 but a larger, more effortless, bigger sound. And more bass- often enough to forgo a subwoofer.

I dunno how the 1090 tested-I imagine pretty well. I do know the 1290 tested one of the flattest at the time. It was a darling of the press, audio groups, testors and by sales numbers, the audiophile buyers.

If you are lucky enough to get 1090s, 1290s, or 1590s, count your blessings.
 
Soundmotor:

I certainly meant no disrespect by this. As you can tell, quite obviously from my posts, I am pretty passionate in my feelings for these speakers. Having said that, I have never designed a loudspeaker, worked for a loudspeaker manufacturer of even been an employee of a real Hi-Fi dealer. I am an enthusiast that enjoys listening to music through something other than most of today's offerings. I have learned much in my short time on AK due to the generosity of many here. I still have very much to learn, but I do know what I like and enjoy. At least within the orb of what I have been exposed to thus far.

Dave

No worries, I thought you were just asking a question. If you search the L1090 here you will find my comments most favorable about it. I was at ADS just as the L1090-1590 were phase out and through the M9-M15, M9/90-M15/90, & M20-M30 years.
 
soundmotor:

I truly appreciate your comments and knowledge of ADS speakers! What is the difference between the Series I and II of the xx90's?

Cheers!
Dave
 
I've played around with all of them over the years and I think they are all very good and they are all similiar sounding. The 1090 is the most impressive sounding at first listen but I actually think the L1590 might be the most refined and best balanced of the three if setup properly. I've also heard all of them sound almost unnatural and tizzy with the wrong electronics. However with good electronics they leave little to be desired. In fact I'd say their only weakness might be that the midrange is not the most natural but still acceptable and in their own way pleasant. I was comparing the 1590's to a pair of JBL 250Ti's the other day and while the JBL's are more neutral the ADS's are more musical and more enjoyable on most music.


Mike
I'm not surprised by this after listening to my L980's. The mids and highs are excellent in them and the bass is the typical tight and articulate ADS bass.
 
soundmotor:

I truly appreciate your comments and knowledge of ADS speakers! What is the difference between the Series I and II of the xx90's?

Cheers!
Dave

The main difference is that in the woofers, the voice-coil formers changed from aluminum on the S1 version to kapton on the S2. Kapton is essentially a high-temp plastic. There may also be some minor crossover tweaks. Acoustically they are indistinguishable.
 
The main difference is that in the woofers, the voice-coil formers changed from aluminum on the S1 version to kapton on the S2. Kapton is essentially a high-temp plastic. There may also be some minor crossover tweaks. Acoustically they are indistinguishable.
Didn't the mid domes change as well?
 
Back
Top Bottom