• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS L1090/2's - Really?

The main difference is that in the woofers, the voice-coil formers changed from aluminum on the S1 version to kapton on the S2. Kapton is essentially a high-temp plastic.
Can I assume this to mean that the VC's would be less likely to become misshapen and cause rubbing in the S2?
 
Can I assume this to mean that the VC's would be less likely to become misshapen and cause rubbing in the S2?

Yes they are more rugged mechanically as well as thermally.

The L1090/2 woofer is essentially the same as the automotive "subwoofer" CS700/S7 except for the impedance & dust cap.
 
The aforementioned parts manual says the mid changed from the 206-0211 (also used in the L880) to the 206-0215 for both the 1090 and the 1290 (and the L880/2).

L1590 changed mids too but it has fairly unique part numbers for both: -0213 for the Series 1 (not used in other models), -0214 for the Series II (also the L980/2).

John
 
The aforementioned parts manual says the mid changed from the 206-0211 (also used in the L880) to the 206-0215 for both the 1090 and the 1290 (and the L880/2).

L1590 changed mids too but it has fairly unique part numbers for both: -0213 for the Series 1 (not used in other models), -0214 for the Series II (also the L980/2).

John
What mid was used in the L980/1?
 
You cannot go wrong with any of the L-Series ADS. I agree with all posts on this thread, and yes I know I am late to the thread. I acquired my 1090's 4 days ago and I'm just gung-ho. I never realized how much I missed my ADS speaks. Till now.

Their only drawbacks are that they are inefficient and don't handle a lot of power. Be gentle with them and they will reward you with love for years and years. Beat the hell out of them and 0=Fail. I suggest if you want LOUD get yourself a pair of JBL 4350's. All of the L-Series, but especially the 1090's, are delicate speakers with a quiet voice. Set up properly you won't even know they are in the room. Plus, they are handsome, like eye candy :)

-A
 
As you can see, we in the ADS club love our speakers. If I had the room, there would be more in my house. A set of 1090's could certainly replace my AR-4xs in my living room stereo/TV surround system with their small foot print.
If you have the opportunity, try to hear some of the bigger models, some can be jaw dropping!
Are 1090's really unable to take good amounts of power? I've found mine thrive big time with more power.
 
As you can see, we in the ADS club love our speakers. If I had the room, there would be more in my house. A set of 1090's could certainly replace my AR-4xs in my living room stereo/TV surround system with their small foot print.
If you have the opportunity, try to hear some of the bigger models, some can be jaw dropping!
Are 1090's really unable to take good amounts of power? I've found mine thrive big time with more power.

Obviously I do not own any yet, from what I have read in other places there was a consensus that you dont want to push them with a amp with little headroom or the high and mids can easily be damaged. I think they are only rated 150 watt but 6--7 people agreed (who have them) they come alive and sound much better with a 200 wpc amp. I only have a 100 wpc amp now so I will be missing some capabilities but will be careful with them if he ever emails me back
 
Obviously I do not own any yet, from what I have read in other places there was a consensus that you dont want to push them with a amp with little headroom or the high and mids can easily be damaged. I think they are only rated 150 watt but 6--7 people agreed (who have them) they come alive and sound much better with a 200 wpc amp. I only have a 100 wpc amp now so I will be missing some capabilities but will be careful with them if he ever emails me back
You should be fine with 100wpc.
Good luck and hope it works out.
 
I've had my L1090's (not/2's) since the late '80's. These are rated at 8 ohm 175 watts. Driving them with an ADS PA4 amp, very clean up to levels beyond my liking without a problem or clipping at all, very clear. Can't say that about a lower powered amp that is dirty. I would not consider them fragile, like anything they respond well to good power. Mine are the limited edition Oak cabinets (with original shipping boxes) and are accompanied with an ADS SW5 powered sub. Me likes. Referring to NH MAN other post; Better buy them for $75!!
 
You only have to look as far as the car audio world to understand where ADS stood when these home models were made. They were one of the quality Kings of hi end car audio at the time that the L series was being made. This was in part due to rating their gear accurately in the power department when all the rest of the world was using inflated figures. Their car audio systems were being put into nearly all BMW and Mercedes custom systems due to their understated elegance. and engineering. They even named their best component car speaker pair the 320i just like that famous German car company. The performance of their gear was all about precision, not brute force. Their focus was on quality over quantity, for sure. I wouldn't go as far as calling them delicate, but they were made to perform within their limits. They even stayed away from huge woofers in favor of multiple smaller models. This was a time when the company looked as though they would take over the world.
 
Anyone happen to know how low the 1090s were spec’d for? I don’t have a meter but I’m guessing they are about 45-50 in my room. And they are just great great musical transducers
 
The L980's are big single 12 inch woofer beasts. These sound great with 210 wpc of power, and can go very loud when asked without complaint. Same goes for the 910's, 1590's, 1530's. He big ADSs are not fragile. And yes, don't push them with a low powered amp, you'll clip and most likely fry the tweeters and possibly the mids.
 
Anyone happen to know how low the 1090s were spec’d for? I don’t have a meter but I’m guessing they are about 45-50 in my room. And they are just great great musical transducers

I think your guess is about right. I use a pair of ADS SW2 subs with mine. You are correct, they are fine sounding speakers and some of my favorite ADS.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom