• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS L1090 build. Or not?

uplander

Well-Known Member
Here's my dilemma. I have a pair of ADS L1290 speakers that I've enjoyed for a few years, but I've recently acquired some Snell Type D's that I prefer for a larger, somewhat imposing speaker.

I've always wanted a pair of L1090's, due to their smaller size (better fit for my room), but have not been able to find any at a decent price. Several months ago I found two pairs of 1090 woofers and crossovers, and planned on waiting until I found some tweeters and mids so I could build some over-built cabinets and re-create them (possibly improved over original). The tweeters/mids seem to be very rare and/or expensive, though, and I am running out of patience.

I could build the L1090's, use the mids/tweets from my L1290's, part out the rest of the L1290's, or sell the L1290's and wait to see if some more mid/tweets appear.

I hate to part out a desirable speaker, but getting my investment back from them, and waiting for the right deal on more mids/tweets seems a long shot.

Any opinions or perspectives I haven't considered would be appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
The 1290 being a highly regarded ADS would be a shame to part out if they're in good shape. Midwest speaker carries a re-issue Peerless tweeter that could be used in your project, and Dahlquist used a very similar (if not the same) dome midrange. I've seen ADS 710's go for as little as $125 on craigslist here so perhaps a pair will turn up for parts to complete the 1090 project.
 
They're your speakers. Do what you wish and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. You have my blessing.

cubdog
 
They're your speakers. Do what you wish and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. You have my blessing.

cubdog

Thanks, that's a relief to hear. :D

If my post came across as me seeking approval or permission, that was not my intent. I am simply undecided and was looking for perspectives or ideas I may not have considered.

Best regards.
 
Agreed, why not post a swap ad in Barter Town and/or Craig's List? You might find someone nearby who would be happy to trade their L1090s for your L1290s.
 
Maybe you can find someone with 1090 that wants to make a deal for your 1290.

Agreed, why not post a swap ad in Barter Town and/or Craig's List? You might find someone nearby who would be happy to trade their L1090s for your L1290s.

Thanks, that's a good idea that I hadn't considered. But I've already purchased parts for the potential project, not realizing the mids and tweets would be so hard to come by. I already have 4 woofers and 2 crossovers that I guess I could sell if I found a trade partner. But if I'm going to do that, I could probably more easily sell the woofers, grills, and crossovers out of my L1290's. There seems to be much greater demand for L1290 parts than L1090 parts.
 
The L1290 and L1090 use the same tweets (206-0117) in both the first and second series. The first series L1290 and L1090 use 206-0211 mids while the /2 series of both use the 206-0215 mids. So I think the drivers you're looking for are common to both speakers within the first and second series of each.

Yes, cubdog has blessed your disassembling of your L1290s and you can do whatever you want but I hope you can find drivers or a trade. I have two pairs of L1290/2s and just gave a third set with cabinets that need work to a friend of mine. Like any classic item, it's good to keep as many of them "on the road" as we can.

Good luck with the project.
 
The L1290 and L1090 use the same tweets (206-0117) in both the first and second series. The first series L1290 and L1090 use 206-0211 mids while the /2 series of both use the 206-0215 mids. So I think the drivers you're looking for are common to both speakers within the first and second series of each.

I've also been keeping an eye out for some L880's with trashed cabs. They use the same mids and tweets. My L1290's are series ll, and the L1090 parts are series l. I believe the 206-0215 can be used in place of the 206-0211. I remember reading in a thread quite a while ago that it was a matter of the back plate being built-in on one and being attached on the other, resulting in basically the same driver.

The ideal would certainly be to find drivers, but I get the feeling there's a lot of people looking of mids and tweets who blew them up at some time. Every one I've seen has been priced about 4x higher than I'm been willing to spend.
 
1290/2 Mids

The 206-215 cannot be used on the 1290 series one. They have an impedence of 9 ohms instead of the 7.2 ohms of the 211. They will sound different. I talked with Richard So about this very thing when I was looking for replacement drivers.
 
Back
Top Bottom