• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS L1230 or Def Tech BP 10?

Mingo

stranger in a strange land
Subscriber
I've got a line on a pair of ADS L1230 speakers, but noticed in the local CL that there is a pair of Definitive Technology BP10 speakers for about the same $500 price. There is also a pair of Def Tech BP 8 for much lower. I suspect that the sonics are much different due to speaker design. I have some experience with ADS, but none with Def Tech. Any opinions?
 
Register to hide this ad
Do you care about looks? One is a tall slim tower and the other is wide and sort of looks like it would be placed in a room to absorb sound not create it.
 
I would absolutely go for the ADS. I had some BP10s for a while, and while they had some strong points, they're not in the same league as the ADS. IMHO, of course.
 
Oops! L1290 instead of 1230. But I suspect the conclusion is the same. I had 1230s once and really liked them.
 
I'd go ADS. I've never heard an ADS speaker I didn't like whereas the couple Def Tech speakers I've heard were merely ok.
 
$500 for a pair of 1290's in good condition? That is a very fair price! (Assuming condition is as stated) Really, though, bottom line is, whether you consider the price is fair. That's the only parameter that truly matters.
 
Never heard those ADS. The BP10s are decent, but I think $500 is high for them. I'd sell my nearly mint early model (soft dome tweeters) pair for that. :)
 
I think he meant that is a lot of sound for $500 with the ADS. But to avoid stating something that others did not say, (which I just did so ignore that) I will say that a pair just transacted through BT with an ask of 475 and an unknown final deal as it was a picked up in person deal. So a 5 bill ask on CL is apparently on target and CL is a deal you can negotiate and walk from if you want.
 
I've owned Def Tech BP20, ADS L1090/2 and L1230. I would, personally, choose either ADS over the Def Tech. Keep in mind that the Def Techs are a Bipolar design and will need a lot of room around them to breath. They do produce a very enveloping sound (think Bose 901) and are very nice, but I don't feel they are in the same league as the ADS.
 
I will say that I bought the 1290s for between $400 and $500 that I think Blue Shadow refers. While I will admit being ADS biased, these are wonderfully sounding speakers and I'd say the 5 bills is a very good price, if in good condition.
 
Well, I thought that we had a deal, but the dude sold the ADS yesterday. Disappointed to say the least...
 
Bummer, indeed. I am listening to the 1290s and they are quite nice. That being said, I've several other ADS speakers and all are excellent. You might be able to find 710s, 810s, 910s,, 980s, Brauns (see other threads for relationship between Braun and ADS) still for decent pricing. Perusal of the local CL lists several...
 
Gotta be quick about speakers like that.

IMO the L520 is one of the best ADS speakers besides the L1230 or L1530.
 
Not the end of the world, but a disappointment for sure. We had agreed on a price and (I thought) a time for the transaction. I am not lacking in speakers, but the L1230 would have made my wife happy with a smaller footprint than the speaks I am currently using. Back to the drawing board.
 
Back
Top Bottom