• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS L1230 or Def Tech BP 10?

Sorry to hear that.

I get a kick out of CL sellers complaining about the flaky buyers, but I've been burned by sellers, and, in some cases, quite badly. One time I drove 3 hours, one way, after making an agreement on price and time for some Yamaha equipment. When I arrived, no one answered the door. I called the number I was given, emailed the seller, with no response. I waited for over an hour and finally decided to leave. About 15 minutes after leaving his farmhouse, the seller called to tell me he had sold all the equipment the night before. I suspect there are many threads and many examples of CL nightmares on this site.

What are you using now?
 
A pair of cosmetically challenged but nice sounding Snell Type B speakers. They are a little imposing at 25" wide and 50" tall. Since I mostly listen at relatively low volumes, they are more than I need. But I like them.

Bostown had a pair of Sonus Faber monitors on BT last year that really tempted me, but I wasn't quite ready to make such a radical change. It could be time.
 
I've not heard Snells, nor Vandersteens, both of which I've heard good things about. One day...

I'd be curious about your impressions of the Sonus Fabers, too.
 
Craigslist sellers are like car dealerships. They may tell you they'll hold the item for you to come look at, and you may even put money down to try to guarantee that, but if they get a potential buyer standing in front of it sooner than you can get there they'll make the sale without hesitation. Been burned in both instances.
 
A pair of cosmetically challenged but nice sounding Snell Type B speakers. They are a little imposing at 25" wide and 50" tall. Since I mostly listen at relatively low volumes, they are more than I need. But I like them.

Bostown had a pair of Sonus Faber monitors on BT last year that really tempted me, but I wasn't quite ready to make such a radical change. It could be time.

Why do you think they're more than you need? I mostly listen at low volumes, too, but I sure do love the sound of my Klipsch Cornwalls
 
Craigslist sellers are like car dealerships. They may tell you they'll hold the item for you to come look at, and you may even put money down to try to guarantee that, but if they get a potential buyer standing in front of it sooner than you can get there they'll make the sale without hesitation. Been burned in both instances.
So true. I find I use CL less and less. I want to "recycle" items so often look at the Free Section. This, however, has become overly frustrating as fewer and fewer "sellers" will hold anything. That makes it very difficult for me, because I live a fair distance from town, and am not willing to drive 50-60 miles only to find "First Come, First Serve".
 
Why do you think they're more than you need? I mostly listen at low volumes, too, but I sure do love the sound of my Klipsch Cornwalls

Ha, you're right! I guess it is pretty special to have speakers that you like at all volumes. Maybe they aren't too much, just too big. I like the Snells. They seem a little bass heavy at times, but sound good otherwise. I have had a couple models of Vandersteens. They sometimes seemed a little bass shy, or a little mellow, but also were a pleasure to listen to. I never felt I found the right synergy of components for the Vandersteens to really shine.

No experience so far with Sonus Faber speakers. There was a pair on CL a couple of weeks ago that posted as I was heading out of town for a few days. The seller did not promise to hold them for me and I appreciated her honesty. CL can be an interesting and unpredictable marketplace.
 
... but the L1230 would have made my wife happy with a smaller footprint

You probably mean L1290.
Yes, it has great WAF (but L1230 is not because it's too bulky). L1290 or L1290/2 all the way.
$500 is great price (if in great condition).

As for your miss, it works like this. First come - First serve. Especially when it's truly collectible and rare speakers.
Because so many people email, expressing interest, but they are reluctant, asking too many questions, and then never show up.
But as a seller, I never give my address to more than 1 buyer. So no one driving to me for nothing.
 
Last edited:
As for your miss, it works like this. First come - First serve. Especially when it's truly collectible and rare speakers.
Because so many people email, expressing interest, but they are reluctant, asking too many questions, and then never show up.
But as a seller, I never give my address to more than 1 buyer. So no one driving to me for nothing.

I agree, but when someone says 'we got a deal' I want to believe them. Water under the bridge now and a better deal will show itself tomorrow.
 
I agree, but when someone says 'we got a deal' I want to believe them. Water under the bridge now and a better deal will show itself tomorrow.

On a $500 deal the majority of CL seller's won't honor a "done deal" for fear of losing both. I don't even ask for holds anymore. I just make sure I am ready to roll when the seller gets back to me with a yes. ADS made a lot of L1290s, be patient and a better deal will present.
 
Back
Top Bottom