• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS L2030 Restoration

Yes, sir, running them in mono. Unfortunately, I need an ADS C2000 in order to bi-amp the L2030's. The C2000 is quite rare and I've not yet found one. Someday I hope.

So....another update. I went ahead and did the whole damn thing:

McIntosh Stack by Audio Database, on Flickr

I think it's gone now Matt, but I found a guy in Canada couple weeks ago selling his 1530's with a ç-2000. I tried to contact him to see if he'd sell me the Ç-2000 but I got no reply. I'm at work now, but tomorrow when I get home I'll check to see if the guys still around for ya.???
 
Yes, sir, running them in mono. Unfortunately, I need an ADS C2000 in order to bi-amp the L2030's. The C2000 is quite rare and I've not yet found one. Someday I hope.

So....another update. I went ahead and did the whole damn thing:

McIntosh Stack by Audio Database, on Flickr
Ohhhh YEAH! Congratulations on an awesome system Matt!! I am glad you pulled the trigger on these Mc units. WELL DONE!
 
Last edited:
What a beautiful looking pair of monsters and I'm glad to hear they're going to get a full restoration as they certainly deserve it. Jeez they look like 1530's on steroids.
I was going to mention Harbor Freight for casters as they have a great selection of them and their prices are better than home depot to.

I have a rack full of electronics and found heavy duty casters at this place,
http://vkcasters.com/
All weights materials and colors. A gigantic assortment.
Owned by a couple of woman and the prices are ridiculously low.
These are rated at 70lbs, and using 4 of them, they also have locks.
Supporting a P5 amp-135lbs and 2 Alpha 440s 45lbs each as well as a few other lighter electronics.
I assure you if you wanted to go this route they have what you need.
 

Attachments

  • 20160909_205419.jpg
    20160909_205419.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 20160910_191708.jpg
    20160910_191708.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 54
So...........

Let's get back to the speakers. I've decided it's time to get the crossovers and switch panels rebuilt. I've been getting intermittent distortion from one of the right speaker mids even after having the drivers rebuilt. So it was time to send the crossovers and switch panels to my friend in AZ to be rebuilt.

I removed the switch panel and crossover from the left speaker without any issue. The right switch panel came right out, too. When I went to pull the crossover, I had difficulty pulling it clear of the cabinet. A flashlight showed what looked to be a resistor preventing the crossover from being pulled free. That seems a bit...odd. So, I dug through the insulation from the front switch panel hole and, sure enough, there's a resistor sticking out to the side far enough that the crossover won't clear the cutout. :dunno: I actually had to reach in and clip the resistor lead, at which point it fell free, to get the crossover out.

So now that I have both crossovers and switch panels out, I can see that the resistors in the left speaker switch panel have been replaced and the resistors in the right speaker crossover have been replaced. Interesting. I'm sure Richard can get this all straightened out.

The offending resistor as viewed from the switch panel cutout:
IMG_20180722_162603.jpg IMG_20180722_162707.jpg IMG_20180722_164051.jpg IMG_20180722_164123.jpg IMG_20180722_164249.jpg IMG_20180722_164254.jpg IMG_20180722_164329.jpg

While the L2030's are down, I think the 910's will make a nice stand in. Tonight I'm demoing them with a recently acquired Scott 222. I picked this up from a friend and fellow AK'er (@rudedogg ) who did a full recap on it. What a great sounding little amp! I say little amp, but it's got a big voice, even on the 910's. It's is great cosmetic condition, as well.
IMG_20180722_205005.jpg
IMG_20180722_214611.jpg
IMG_20180722_214603.jpg
 
Last edited:
That Scott is in lovely condition! It is great to see one preserved so nicely!
Richard will fix you speaker electronics to better than new condition! I bet there aren't many folks around who have a gorgeous set of 910s in the bullpen! I can wait to hear your thoughts of your new preamp and tuner......
 
Thanks for the mention! I love that little amp, and I miss it already! I will have to hear it in your system(s) soon
I'd venture to say it's the best sounding Scott amp I've heard yet. And it put a thumping on the Fisher yesterday in a back to back comparison. Looking forward to hearing it with the new Amperex E80CF's when they arrive.
That Scott is in lovely condition! It is great to see one preserved so nicely!
Richard will fix you speaker electronics to better than new condition! I bet there aren't many folks around who have a gorgeous set of 910s in the bullpen! I can wait to hear your thoughts of your new preamp and tuner......
I really think updating the crossovers and switch panels is going to make an audible difference. It will also be nice to be able to use the switches. One of the switch panels has been finicky when used and would often trigger the overload lights to flicker and cause distortion. It will also very likely be the culmination of this restoration. I'm excited!

One other thing. Here is an interesting find. Check out the wire termination second from the left:

IMG_20180722_160615.jpg

It's possible this was done when the resistors were replaced, but it's not the first higher end ADS speaker I've seen with twisted wire connections.
 
It's possible this was done when the resistors were replaced, but it's not the first higher end ADS speaker I've seen with twisted wire connections.

Wow. Looks like someone forgot to go back and do it right, or at least solder it. The one on the far right could use another push too.
 
So...........

Let's get back to the speakers. I've decided it's time to get the crossovers and switch panels rebuilt. I've been getting intermittent distortion from one of the right speaker mids even after having the drivers rebuilt. So it was time to send the crossovers and switch panels to my friend in AZ to be rebuilt.

I removed the switch panel and crossover from the left speaker without any issue. The right switch panel came right out, too. When I went to pull the crossover, I had difficulty pulling it clear of the cabinet. A flashlight showed what looked to be a resistor preventing the crossover from being pulled free. That seems a bit...odd. So, I dug through the insulation from the front switch panel hole and, sure enough, there's a resistor sticking out to the side far enough that the crossover won't clear the cutout. :dunno: I actually had to reach in and clip the resistor lead, at which point it fell free, to get the crossover out.

So now that I have both crossovers and switch panels out, I can see that the resistors in the left speaker switch panel have been replaced and the resistors in the right speaker crossover have been replaced. Interesting. I'm sure Richard can get this all straightened out.

The offending resistor as viewed from the switch panel cutout:
View attachment 1241495 View attachment 1241496 View attachment 1241497 View attachment 1241498 View attachment 1241499 View attachment 1241500 View attachment 1241501

While the L2030's are down, I think the 910's will make a nice stand in. Tonight I'm demoing them with a recently acquired Scott 222. I picked this up from a friend and fellow AK'er (@rudedogg ) who did a full recap on it. What a great sounding little amp! I say little amp, but it's got a big voice, even on the 910's. It's is great cosmetic condition, as well.
View attachment 1241502
View attachment 1241551
View attachment 1241553
Gorgeous Scott! Ok, Matt, we expect a video with the Scott & 910's!
I loved the way my LK-72 & 910's sounded, but @ 35wpc, the 910's just were begging for more!
Cheers, Glenn
 
Gorgeous Scott! Ok, Matt, we expect a video with the Scott & 910's!
I loved the way my LK-72 & 910's sounded, but @ 35wpc, the 910's just were begging for more!
Cheers, Glenn
At reasonable listening levels, the 910's are absolutely sublime on the little Scott. It's when you start digging into the bass when the Scott suddenly becomes unreasonable. The 910's become just as insensitive as the L2030's at high school volume, you know. I've seen the Power Guard lights twice now, for the record. However, it's been working out quite well for me as most of my recent listening has been evenings after the kids are down for the night. Acoustic music and vocals on this setup are just the perfect cap to a chaotic day at work. Smoooooooth and relaxing with a good bourbon in-hand.

And, yes, a video will be in the works. :D
 
You know what Matt .. I was experiancing this myself just this past Saturday. I was in the mood for something soft and mellow. I yanked in a set of Lou Rawles and closed my eyes. I had even posted in AK's thread how heavenly it was, and what a shame I didnt have more if Lou then I had.
 
At reasonable listening levels, the 910's are absolutely sublime on the little Scott. It's when you start digging into the bass when the Scott suddenly becomes unreasonable. The 910's become just as insensitive as the L2030's at high school volume, you know. I've seen the Power Guard lights twice now, for the record. However, it's been working out quite well for me as most of my recent listening has been evenings after the kids are down for the night. Acoustic music and vocals on this setup are just the perfect cap to a chaotic day at work. Smoooooooth and relaxing with a good bourbon in-hand.

And, yes, a video will be in the works. :D
Looking forward to hearing your video.
With the LK-72, bass was great, just overall volume could only go so far. Loud enough for relaxed listening, but when that one song comes on and you just gotta crank it up, especially after a Bourbon or two :rolleyes:, the Scott wasn't able to do it to where I wanted.
At the beginning of the video thread, one of my videos is with the Scott and 910's. It was before they were up on their stands.
 
Matt, I think you are going to be happy with the rebuild, clean up of the crossovers and all other electrical connections in the 2030s. Here is a review by a recent 910 owner, @foo.kamikaze (from the 910 thread) where he talks about cleaning everything in the speaker. If you haven't done the 910s you might want to, but then what is the backup for the backup 910s?

Now in the ADS 910 club
 
I have a question on the hook up at the crossover. My L1290s and 1230s have the woofers connected in parallel and I think that drops the resistance in half. How did the multiple mids and tweeters hook up in the 2030s?
This pic came from Rich showing the crossover being tested
 

Attachments

  • 073.jpg
    073.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
We do have a decent scan of the 2030 owner's manual in company archives. It's too big to post as a linked file but I can email it to anyone that needs a copy. Just hit me up using the Conversations option.

John
Hi Jhon these is Fred, and I live in Mexico City and I have a Pair of these wonderful speakers, do you mind if you send me a copy of the information that you have about these speakers, I will really appreciate your help, one mor thank you very much for your time.
 
Back
Top Bottom