• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS L2030 Restoration

I have 2x sets of 1590/2s serviced by RS in AZ, all mids, and tweets, and all crossovers. Tinkering with the idea to cash and trade for a fine set of 2030. Keep that in mind if you get interested in letting your 2030s go again and mean it :). These 15902 are well matched and exercised, and driven by the likes of the SS amps I have around for them, 2x AdCom 555s, a JVC S600, and/or a nice Pioneer M-91. They do very well with these speakers, as others have mentioned... These speakers from ADS like to be worked out yet with care to their condition.
 
Last edited:
Wow Super Dave

What a theater you could create with 4 of the all time killers. I never heard the 2030s but I will never forget the 1590/2s for shear clarity. All I can say is WOW
 
Matt you have a piece of history and not counting the sound, they should be worth at least 5000$ in my opinion!
Good luck on the new home.
Even if my house was the size of an outhouse and I had a set of 2030's, they would never leave! So what if the toilet sits between em!
 
So...........

Let's get back to the speakers. I've decided it's time to get the crossovers and switch panels rebuilt. I've been getting intermittent distortion from one of the right speaker mids even after having the drivers rebuilt. So it was time to send the crossovers and switch panels to my friend in AZ to be rebuilt.

I removed the switch panel and crossover from the left speaker without any issue. The right switch panel came right out, too. When I went to pull the crossover, I had difficulty pulling it clear of the cabinet. A flashlight showed what looked to be a resistor preventing the crossover from being pulled free. That seems a bit...odd. So, I dug through the insulation from the front switch panel hole and, sure enough, there's a resistor sticking out to the side far enough that the crossover won't clear the cutout. :dunno: I actually had to reach in and clip the resistor lead, at which point it fell free, to get the crossover out.

So now that I have both crossovers and switch panels out, I can see that the resistors in the left speaker switch panel have been replaced and the resistors in the right speaker crossover have been replaced. Interesting. I'm sure Richard can get this all straightened out.

The offending resistor as viewed from the switch panel cutout:
View attachment 1241495 View attachment 1241496 View attachment 1241497 View attachment 1241498 View attachment 1241499 View attachment 1241500 View attachment 1241501

While the L2030's are down, I think the 910's will make a nice stand in. Tonight I'm demoing them with a recently acquired Scott 222. I picked this up from a friend and fellow AK'er (@rudedogg ) who did a full recap on it. What a great sounding little amp! I say little amp, but it's got a big voice, even on the 910's. It's is great cosmetic condition, as well.
View attachment 1241502
View attachment 1241551
View attachment 1241553
A quick update on the crossovers and switch panels. While I haven't sent them out to Richard, I did replace all of the resistors in both crossovers and thoroughly cleaned the switches. This was a month or so ago and I've yet to hear the distortion return! I still need to replace the one electrolytic on each crossover then I think I'll be done with them.
 
Not a major update, but the grills are now complete with proper badging. :bigok:

IMG_20181101_154146.jpg

Amp update - picked up an Audire Otez a little while ago and currently using it with the L2030's. Holy S**T, this 100 lbs. beast is impressive! ADS speakers are known for great bass, but this amp has taken it to another level. I have a historic home built in 1890 and I'm beginning to think I might rattle it apart. The floor shakes with this monster!

IMG_20180918_115004.jpg
2018-10-28_10-08-31.jpg

Oh, and I missed out on a pair of c-2000's because eBay glitched when I submitted my bid in the last 20 seconds. I watched that auction like a hawk and would have won if my bid had gone through. They ended up selling for $1099 for the pair. Could sell one of them and make back a big chunk of that. Oh well, one will fall into my lap someday. Until then, I'll just have to try to imagine what they'd sound like with a big SS amp on the woofers and a big tube amp up top. Someday...
 
Last edited:
Fabulous Matt. so glad you were able to hang onto those. I know you are too. Sad to hear about the C-2000. When was that auction? I cant think I would have missed that given not a day passes I dont check multiple sources.
 
Fabulous Matt. so glad you were able to hang onto those. I know you are too. Sad to hear about the C-2000. When was that auction? I cant think I would have missed that given not a day passes I dont check multiple sources.
Yeah, bummer about the C2000. I have saved searches through eBay and Hifishark that send me email alerts any time one is posted. They won't catch Craigslist, but most of the other sites are automatically searched daily. One of these days I'll find one. I'm not in too big of a rush, they still sound wonderful as is. :)

Yep, that was them.
 
Not a major update, but the grills are now complete with proper badging. :bigok:

View attachment 1320282

Amp update - picked up an Audire Otez a little while ago and currently using it with the L2030's. Holy S**T, this 100 lbs. beast is impressive! ADS speakers are known for great bass, but this amp has taken it to another level. I have a historic home built in 1890 and I'm beginning to think I might rattle it apart. The floor shakes with this monster!

View attachment 1320291
View attachment 1320293

Oh, and I missed out on a pair of c-2000's because eBay glitched when I submitted my bid in the last 20 seconds. I watched that auction like a hawk and would have won if my bid had gone through. They ended up selling for $1099 for the pair. Could sell one of them and make back a big chunk of that. Oh well, one will fall into my lap someday. Until then, I'll just have to try to imagine what they'd sound like with a big SS amp on the woofers and a big tube amp up top. Someday...
Sheeeeooottt! Fabulous Matt!
 
On the C-2000 front, has anyone tried a crossover like this? https://dbxpro.com/en/products/223xs

I have read a few post around and here at AK as well regarding successfully using a dbx crossover. At the time I was not as clear about how to set it up, and thought when I come to this bridge in my journey I'll look up how to do it.

I admit, that the quest to find one is part of the journey.
 
Not a major update, but the grills are now complete with proper badging. :bigok:

View attachment 1320282

Amp update - picked up an Audire Otez a little while ago and currently using it with the L2030's. Holy S**T, this 100 lbs. beast is impressive! ADS speakers are known for great bass, but this amp has taken it to another level. I have a historic home built in 1890 and I'm beginning to think I might rattle it apart. The floor shakes with this monster!

View attachment 1320291
View attachment 1320293

Oh, and I missed out on a pair of c-2000's because eBay glitched when I submitted my bid in the last 20 seconds. I watched that auction like a hawk and would have won if my bid had gone through. They ended up selling for $1099 for the pair. Could sell one of them and make back a big chunk of that. Oh well, one will fall into my lap someday. Until then, I'll just have to try to imagine what they'd sound like with a big SS amp on the woofers and a big tube amp up top. Someday...
Hi Matt - you likely didn’t miss out on the pair of C2000s. I entered my top bid of $1604.01 with seven seconds left. My C2000 searching is now over, officially. I have no plans to flip them, and you have one less serious buyer out there. Care to trade those l2030s for a pair of L1530s with a C2000? I thought not. I hope you can count your blessings - because a pair of nice L2030s are the holy grail. Active crossovers are far less tougher to replace.
 

Attachments

  • A725387C-96EB-4604-9351-AEE07DE98414.jpeg
    A725387C-96EB-4604-9351-AEE07DE98414.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Wow, that looks like a serious amp Matt! You have done an amazing job getting the L2030s optimized and also building an impressive system around them! I just know that you will find a C2000 one of these days! I will be keeping an eye out for one for you as well!
 
Congrats Liefloff! I was watching that auction closely and you really wanted them! Is that three I see in your picture? In addition to the 1530s what other applications do you have planned for them?
 
On the C-2000 front, has anyone tried a crossover like this? https://dbxpro.com/en/products/223xs
I've thought about seeing if an active crossover like a MiniDSP, or the one in your link, would work, but that's about as far as I've gotten with it, lol. I'm not sure the full effect/circuit/crossover slopes of the C-2000 is understood to the point where it would be a simple integration. Might be worth the effort, though. I'll have to do some more reading.

Wow, that looks like a serious amp Matt! You have done an amazing job getting the L2030s optimized and also building an impressive system around them! I just know that you will find a C2000 one of these days! I will be keeping an eye out for one for you as well!
Thanks, Joe! I'll find one someday and appreciate you keeping an eye out!

Hi Matt - you likely didn’t miss out on the pair of C2000s. I entered my top bid of $1604.01 with seven seconds left. My C2000 searching is now over, officially. I have no plans to flip them, and you have one less serious buyer out there. Care to trade those l2030s for a pair of L1530s with a C2000? I thought not. I hope you can count your blessings - because a pair of nice L2030s are the holy grail. Active crossovers are far less tougher to replace.
I guess I wouldn't have won, but I would have made you pay a bit more, lol. I entered $1550 as my bid but the page just stalled and then told me the auction had ended. Given I wouldn't have won them with my bid, I think it worked out for the best. Enjoy!

P.S. - Should you decide to sell one of those THREE C-2000's in the future, please PM me. :D
 
Matt,

I am using an Ashley XR1001 active crossover with my 1530s and I like the results a lot. (150 bucks used) Bryston 7bst monoblocks on the woofers and Classe CA2100 on the top end with Classe CP-500 preamp. I sometimes wonder though if I am missing something with not having a C2000 with its secret squirrel phase reversing circuit or whatever it does. Then I crank up the 1530s and all is well.....:rockon:Every time I see one up for sale, which isn't often, they are pulling a serious amount of cash.:confused:
Good luck with your search.
J.T.
 
Matt,

I am using an Ashley XR1001 active crossover with my 1530s and I like the results a lot. (150 bucks used) Bryston 7bst monoblocks on the woofers and Classe CA2100 on the top end with Classe CP-500 preamp. I sometimes wonder though if I am missing something with not having a C2000 with its secret squirrel phase reversing circuit or whatever it does. Then I crank up the 1530s and all is well.....:rockon:Every time I see one up for sale, which isn't often, they are pulling a serious amount of cash.:confused:
Good luck with your search.
J.T.
Glad to hear you are happy with they Ashley active crossover, J.T. Do you feel the active crossover offers an improvement in sound quality over the factory passive crossovers in your L1530's? I'm definitely going to have to do some more reading on this. Considering the low cost of entry, it's certainly worth a shot!
 
I do for sure. They sound excellent through passive crossovers alone, but the Bryston's alone take the woofers to a whole new level.
What I really like is the adjustability I have with the Active crossover. It opened up the speakers IMHO. Course Richard's magic on the drivers is a plus as you know.:thumbsup:
I also shifted to balanced system with the Classe preamp, Brystons and the Ashley Xover. I really like the balanced connections compared to RCA. Just my opinion but it sounds excellent to me. YMMV.
J.T.
 
Back
Top Bottom