• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS L2030 Restoration

Uh oh...afraid I didn't think about that. What alterations are required for use with 1590's?
In lower corner of the attached jpg of the scematic the mod is listed. i also had the ads bullet from jdurbin which i cant find. As it does not not modify any of the 3 settings A,B,C, it wont effect your use for the 2030. Ive blown up the corner in the second pic. Wjen i modified mine, i tapes the parts and instruction inside for future use.C2000 schematic color2.jpg Screenshot_20190207-091348_Gallery.jpg
 
In lower corner of the attached jpg of the scematic the mod is listed. i also had the ads bullet from jdurbin which i cant find. As it does not not modify any of the 3 settings A,B,C, it wont effect your use for the 2030. Ive blown up the corner in the second pic. Wjen i modified mine, i tapes the parts and instruction inside for future use.View attachment 1412141 View attachment 1412142
Awesome! Thanks. Seller tells me this unit is unmodified. I will check it out once received.
 
Awesome! Thanks. Seller tells me this unit is unmodified. I will check it out once received.
Yes, Prob best to check anyway to see what you have. Unless they are the orig owner (and so know its not modified), and still yet i like to peek inside all my stuff anyway! Don't expect much action out of the "dynamic bass extender" led until your giving it bass, and volume level. Thought mine was out until i realized how it worked. Its more or less a peak level indicator when it starts trimming. (that's my understanding anyway) I did clean my volume control while i was in there. If you need tips on how to get at difficult controls feel free to PM. I bend the straws at a 90 to slide UNDER controls to shoot straight in (among other things). Prevents from having to disassemble a lot of stuff one might ordinarily think they have to.
 
So it's not pretty, nor is it permanent, but we're up and running! I need to reconfigure everything and get all my cabling sorted out. At the moment, I don't have speaker cables long enough, so I either need to buy another pair or make another pair. Also, the C2000 doesn't like being near the power amps or else there's an audible hum through the speakers. So a grand re-configuring is in order.

How does it sound, you ask? Look, these are the best speakers I've ever owned or heard. Period. Simply bi-amping them can't make that much of a difference, right?

WRONG!

The addition of the C2000 and another amplifier (a Forte Model 3 in this case) have taken these speakers from truly exceptional to simply astounding. Seriously. Detail, clarity, imaging, soundstage, bass....all taken to another dimension. Oh, and bass? I've been spoiled by these speakers and their ability to dig deep and deliver clean, punchy bass. The C2000 allows them to dig even deeper and the bass has become much more musical. I never noticed until now that the bass without the C2000 seemed a bit one dimensional. Now the low notes are very defined with clear separation between notes which leads to really great musicality on the low end. No more one note (simply low and loud) pony!

More to come, folks, but it's going to take some time for me to get all this gear organized again.

IMG_20190215_123542.jpg
 
Last edited:
Everything is great with me, but not as well as you are doing! :) I hope to have a chance to hear those beauties some time, now that you have put all of the time and effort into them!
 
The flexxy rack has treated me well for the last couple years, so I decided to build a different version to shorten my cable runs. 3/4" birch ply with rounded edges and 3 coats of wipe on poly. Threaded rods are 3/4" and cut to 26". ROCK SOLID.

I'm still getting some hum through the woofers, so I ordered all new shielded interconnects from BJC. Hopefully that helps because the hum is driving me crazy! Once the new interconnects arrive I'll spend some time organizing all of the cables and wires.

Oh and note the new preamp. :music:

IMG_20190223_093701.jpg
 
Hum isn't in the c2000? but getting into the cables to the amps or through the shielding of the crossover? Does the crossover need new 'lytics?

Isn't it amazing how much better the sound is when you don't need to dump a pile of watts into a passive crossover for the woofer? Each amp is in full control of the speakers attached.

I'll check back.
 
Hum isn't in the c2000? but getting into the cables to the amps or through the shielding of the crossover? Does the crossover need new 'lytics?

Isn't it amazing how much better the sound is when you don't need to dump a pile of watts into a passive crossover for the woofer? Each amp is in full control of the speakers attached.

I'll check back.
Very well could be the electrolytics, but cables are easy and I wanted to get a set that are the appropriate length for the new stand. They're also running very close to power cords now. The hum does seem to get a little better the further the C2000 is from the power amps. So, we'll see. Start with cables and go from there. I haven't opened the C2000 yet but will have a look soon. Given its age it would be good preventive maintenance to recap regardless.
 
Last edited:
I have a pair of nice cables that are not shielded and couldn't use them for the power amp as it is down by a power strip so lots of ac cords in that area. They are fine in another location. Enjoy the hunt and especially the resolution of the issue.
 
Back
Top Bottom