• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS L2030 Restoration

Ok, cables arrived and installed. The hum is still audible, but greatly reduced. I think I can live with it...at least for now. I'm really surprised the cables helped as much as they did. Good craftsmanship and these LC-1 cables are much more flexible than the old BJC stuff I've had.

So here's a look at the back of the C2000 and how I have it setup with one amp for the woofers and another for the mids/tweeters:
  • INPUT
    • L/R channel input from preamp, but, in my case, it's input from the output of the MCM line level volume control
  • Left channel output
    • LO PASS - left channel of Audire Otez
    • HI PASS - left channel of Forte Model 3
  • Right channel output
    • LO PASS - right channel of Audire Otez
    • HI PASS - right channel of Forte Model 3

IMG_20190227_121413.jpg

NOW, here's something I want to share with you all. Do you have a preamp without remote volume control? Or perhaps a vintage receiver without remote but that has pre-out and main in jacks? Here's a pretty awesome little device that adds IR remote volume control to any system using line level inputs/outputs. This little gem only set me back $39 shipped to my door. Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/MCM-CUSTOM-50-8394-CONTROL-IR/dp/B01CX82KH2. No degradation of sound quality as far as I can tell. The only drawback is that the blue LED is super bright. I think I'll cover it up with some tape or something.

IMG_20190227_122650.jpg
IMG_20190227_122642.jpg
IMG_20190227_122656.jpg
 
Sounds amazing Matt! There are very few speakers that I have heard with the sheer presence and the ability to sonically dominate a room like the L2030s. And that was before you purchased and upgraded them so fantastically. I am sure they are just breathtaking now. Great choice of music too, Lee was in Buffalo a couple months back and he hasn't lost anything! I blew the dust off your old L1530s this weekend, they sounded wonderful too!
 
A little Lee Ritenour demo. I know you can't really tell from the video, but I can feel the bass line in this song through the floor. :eek:

Wow, and that was Spotify -> Chromecast? Spotify premium? (I ask because I am searching for something to switch to when I finally ditch Tidal...)
 
Finally! Now to find an amp for the mids and highs. I will definitely continue using the Audire Otez on the woofers. Anyone have thoughts on a reasonably priced (as far under $1k as possible) amp for the mids and highs?

View attachment 1410974
Thank goodness! Now I can feel less selfish. I've been watching this thread dropping in about once a month. This is the first I've read about your getting lucky with a C2000. Now that you have personally EXPERIENCED the difference that it makes for your L2030, I am sure you would agree that no ADS Lxx30 or Lxx90 that can be bi-amped hasn't been fully evaluated for their potential until you've heard them paired with the C2000 solution. Great job Matt! So excited for you!

PS - I saw your C2000 and let a buddy know - but he was very worried about the sellers lack of eBay history. When he dropped out, I was going to make him an offer, but decided against it. I am so thrilled I didn't. Funny how life works.
 
Last edited:
So it's not pretty, nor is it permanent, but we're up and running! I need to reconfigure everything and get all my cabling sorted out. At the moment, I don't have speaker cables long enough, so I either need to buy another pair or make another pair. Also, the C2000 doesn't like being near the power amps or else there's an audible hum through the speakers. So a grand re-configuring is in order.

How does it sound, you ask? Look, these are the best speakers I've ever owned or heard. Period. Simply bi-amping them can't make that much of a difference, right?

WRONG!

The addition of the C2000 and another amplifier (a Forte Model 3 in this case) have taken these speakers from truly exceptional to simply astounding. Seriously. Detail, clarity, imaging, soundstage, bass....all taken to another dimension. Oh, and bass? I've been spoiled by these speakers and their ability to dig deep and deliver clean, punchy bass. The C2000 allows them to dig even deeper and the bass has become much more musical. I never noticed until now that the bass without the C2000 seemed a bit one dimensional. Now the low notes are very defined with clear separation between notes which leads to really great musicality on the low end. No more one note (simply low and loud) pony!

More to come, folks, but it's going to take some time for me to get all this gear organized again.

View attachment 1420735
I am so excited about this post!!!! I think you will agree that C2000s are worth whatever you can afford once you find one. About the humm - the RCA cable jacks are really junk on the back of the C2000 and the screws that attach them are even worse. If the humm is still a problem after cleaning them up, it may be worth replacing them with gold RCA jacks and copper screws like higher end Denon and Pioneer Elite AVRs do. My guess is that is likely part of your problem. As you know, the two pronged plug of the C2000 doesn't have a proper ground. It's ok - but you really need good contact between the RCA jacks and the chassis of the C2000. Well done Matt - I'm totally jealous.
 
Last edited:
A little Lee Ritenour demo. I know you can't really tell from the video, but I can feel the bass line in this song through the floor. :eek:

Obviously, you're underpaid at work. Great decision making all the way through! Hope your wife knows....
 
I know this discussion is a little old but thought I would drop this here anyways just for future reference. I have two c2000’s, both restored with all new electrolytics. Both will hum with certain pre-amps, but there is a ground anchor on the back of the c2000, exactly like what you would hook a turntable ground up to. If I tie this back to the chassis (through the turntable ground lug) on the preamp, the hum is complete gone. Funny there is no mention of this in the c2000 manual at all, but it seems very important. I played with new cables, tightening up the crappy RCA jacks, etc which helped but the grounding completely eliminated it.
 
I know this discussion is a little old but thought I would drop this here anyways just for future reference. I have two c2000’s, both restored with all new electrolytics. Both will hum with certain pre-amps, but there is a ground anchor on the back of the c2000, exactly like what you would hook a turntable ground up to. If I tie this back to the chassis (through the turntable ground lug) on the preamp, the hum is complete gone. Funny there is no mention of this in the c2000 manual at all, but it seems very important. I played with new cables, tightening up the crappy RCA jacks, etc which helped but the grounding completely eliminated it.
I found the C2000's to be susceptible to hum as well. I have to keep mine as far away from the power amps as possible to keep the hum away.
 
The 2030's are hard to beat but ehhhhh - 5K+++ with half rebuilt drivers, humidity issues apparent, cabinets needing some reso, no C2000 and a seller that seems like a clown -

I sold a much nicer set with C2000 for 5k cash - I think this was around the max for anything less than pristine -
 
Last edited:
Things are finally shaping up here in the new home. I've had these set up for a few months now, but I'm just getting the components dialed in. This setup, while a little unorthodox, is sounding simply incredible.

ADS C2000
Yamaha A-S2100 as preamp and power amp for mids/tweets
Crown XLS1502 on woofers
Marantz TT-15S1 with AT OC9XLS
TEAC UD501
IMG_20200418_133124.jpg IMG_20200418_132939.jpg IMG_20200418_133242.jpg
 
Things are finally shaping up here in the new home. I've had these set up for a few months now, but I'm just getting the components dialed in. This setup, while a little unorthodox, is sounding simply incredible.

ADS C2000
Yamaha A-S2100 as preamp and power amp for mids/tweets
Crown XLS1502 on woofers
Marantz TT-15S1 with AT OC9XLS
TEAC UD501
View attachment 1835721 View attachment 1835722 View attachment 1835723
What a great space! I bet movies sound decent also! LOL!
 
Things are finally shaping up here in the new home. I've had these set up for a few months now, but I'm just getting the components dialed in. This setup, while a little unorthodox, is sounding simply incredible.

ADS C2000
Yamaha A-S2100 as preamp and power amp for mids/tweets
Crown XLS1502 on woofers
Marantz TT-15S1 with AT OC9XLS
TEAC UD501

No sub...? o_O......:D

I bet that system sounds sweet. :thumbsup:

Plus, good choice on the Yamaha A-S2100. I've gotten into mosfets again too. A fine sounding output design.

Thanks for sharing. :)
 
Last edited:
Very ... very nice Matt. I'm so proud for you on your new home and your system. I can't say it any better then that. Just lovely fella.
Thanks, Garry!
What a great space! I bet movies sound decent also! LOL!
Thanks, Glenn! They do work wonderfully for movies. I don't even miss a center channel because they image so well.
No sub...? o_O......:D

I bet that system sounds sweet. :thumbsup:

Plus, good choice on the Yamaha A-S2100. I've gotten into mosfets again too. A fine sounding output design.

Thanks for sharing. :)
Lol, no sub needed with these guys. The A-S2100 is one of, if not the, best integrated amps I've had. Really great sounding piece of equipment.
 
Back
Top Bottom