• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS L8-10s Trash or Treasure???

BTW, the Aristocrat cost me $15. I thought it was junk until I visited this site and learned otherwise. Now someone who appreciates it will have the chance to buy it, I might make some money and the cabinet won't go into the dumpster. Thanks again.

PJ
 
...or someone else who wanted the speaker would have purchased it from the thrift shop and gotten years of enjoyment out of it for a few dollars. I'm not sure that you are doing the community such a favor. It sounds more like you are making a buck off of the knowledge of the people here....maybe I'm completely wrong but if it was already at the thrift why would it have ended up in the dumpster without you saving it?
 
PJ, couple of thoughts here...

The discussion forums are just that....discussion forums. Not a place for a "newbie"...to drop in to grab info during a buisness transaction.
It seems you just did a "hit & run" on the guys while they were just winding up to discuss ADS speakers with you.

Don't take offense....it just seemed kinda rude is all.

I only say "newbie" referring to your 12 or so postings....you may have been registered here a long while.

Russ
 
pjones2127 said:
I found a pair of ADS L8-10 Speakers at the local thrift store for $24 so I took a chance and bought them. I'm only just now getting into vintage audio equipment, but these look so sweet! The cabinets are awesom and they have the metal clip-on front covers. I hooked them up today and they seem to perform great.

I know these are good speakers, but are they nice enough that I should sell them or keep them? How do they shape up to other ADS models and others by compeditors?

Really just wanting to milk the brains of people who know a lot more about this stuff than I. I look forward to hearing from you.

PJ :banana: :no: :banana:


I think we were all under the assumption that you were really liking these speakers from your comments in the first post? It's sort of hard to "get into vintage audio equipment" if you wind up selling stuff that you like. Just a little confusing, it's your choice and no big deal either way... :scratch2:

Good luck on your endeavors.
 
pjones2127 said:
I never had any interest other than making good money on these.
and that is precisely the problem i have with this whole episode. i have to give you credit for being honest about it. this is not a forum for turning a profit on audio gear. the purpose here is to expand ones experience in enjoying the gear. if your only interest is to turn a quick buck, you are wasting everyones time, including yours.
 
Actually, my purchase decision was made by consulting completed items on Ebay. I'm not an audiophile by any means, so I was just going by the numbers (I'll admit it). My hobby is buying and selling stuff (mostly antiques and collectibles) on Ebay and I'm very good at it. After I got them home, I followed up on AK.com to fine-tune the asking price, but jumped the gun a bit by listing them too quickly. I should have sat on them for a week or so. Besides, if you guys didn't have anyone to beat up on, this forum wouldn't be quite as much fun. I'm facinated at the amount of information about a very wide range of things that can be gleaned from the internet. I provide my share of that info to others (as you do) via interactive forums such as this where I am considered to be "In the know" and the shoe is on the other foot. Believe me I share your perspective, but I also freely share (and enjoy sharing) information about my passion to others as do all of you. After all, that is why you are here and responding to this thread. PJ
 
If you were "very good" at selling on Ebay, you wouldn't be putting Buy It Now prices on things, particularly ones you don't know how much they are worth. Might take a bit longer, but doing the research first, then letting something sell in a full seven day auction instead of BIN, will maximize profits. I've "flipped" a few non-audio thrift store finds, and have never used Buy It Now; I have the patience to wait and make more money.

You look kinda silly bragging on your eBay skills after letting these speakers go for so little -- Foe
 
pjones2127 said:
I found a pair of ADS L8-10 Speakers at the local thrift store for $24 so I took a chance and bought them. I'm only just now getting into vintage audio equipment, but these look so sweet! The cabinets are awesom and they have the metal clip-on front covers. I hooked them up today and they seem to perform great.

I know these are good speakers, but are they nice enough that I should sell them or keep them? How do they shape up to other ADS models and others by compeditors?

Really just wanting to milk the brains of people who know a lot more about this stuff than I. I look forward to hearing from you.

PJ :banana: :no: :banana:

At 9:27 you asked our opinion of whether you should keep these or not, at 11:17 you said you sold them with a BIN of $199, why bother with the post at all. That's all, someone got a good deal, but you put us under the impression you were considering keeping them for your own enjoyment which according to your last post was totally misleading.
 
I dont know how many times Ive gone into local thrifts and found a "sold" sign on a piece of audio gear I really,really wanted-a pair of AR 58's,a marantz 2385,etc,and then seen it on ebay later that day.last saturday my wife and I walked in right as a set of china my wife needed pieces to complete her set was sold.The women who bought it said,that this piece goes for 40 on ebay,this one for 30,etc.I know its the nature of ebay,but I always get bummed out because I know that myself,or another collector would be whistling a tune all the way home,looking for ways to use their new find if they had bought the item instead of someone whos just going to sell it to the same person on ebay for 5 or 6 times what they paid for it.
Jimmy
 
How many times have you found something cool at a thrift,and spent the rest of the day just thinking about it,and where you would put it,and which receiver youll try it with first,pinching yourself,happy at your good fortune,wondering if these will be the speakers that will finally make that h/k 330 sing?I wonder if its the same for someone who finds a pair of Cornwalls,and puts them on ebay 15 minutes later.Just wondering.
Jimmy
 
Don't be too hard on the guy- he asked if they were worth selling or keeping and that he was "milking information".

And I agree with him on the rescuing idea- I've been to the bin auctions at our local GW- the stuff from around the area that did not sell. Nice speakers and gear just dumped into bins. Who knows what kind of shape they were in before- I've seen nice gear with the glass fronts cracked and broken , glass shards all around, speakers with fresh damage. Hurts me much worse than some guy buying and flipping gear.

Of course, I'm seller, so I guess my opinion is skewed. But one of my more recent finds were my 412B Altecs- the guy who sold them to me said there had been another person who wanted to "take out the crappy old speakers and put his HT speakers in the (original 1958) cabinets". I got there after he had taken measurements to see if they would fit. Even if I had sold them (I didn't) wouldn't that have been better than the alternative? We all love finding a bargain, but when we really want something in particular, we go to antiques dealers or ebay. We need those people to look for us. If they make a buck who cares? If we help him make a buck, who cares? Did the gear go to someone who will enjoy it? yes it did.

I'm on good terms with most of the thrift store managers here, and they all tell me that the only people who buy this vintage high end are collectors or ebayers. The people who are supposed to benefit from "charity stores" (using the term loosely) overall want small and working, not big, heavy "old" stuff.

Just my .02
 
No I don't. But when I picked up a Auburn fram and running gear out of a field a couple of years ago, I certainly went to the ADC forums and talked to the guys there about what to do with it. What I KNEW was that it need to get out of that field before it got buried by a developer or hauled off to a scrap heap. Did making money off of it come to mind? Yep. I sell stuff for a living. Do I sell audio stuff? Yes I do, it feeds my audio hobby. Do I take advantage of the collective AK knowledge? If you mean, have I learned anything to make me both a better enthusiast AND a better buyer/seller, then the answer is yes.

What he did, while perhaps taking advantage, was not terribly out of line.
 
The irony here is that just before I read this post, I posted a question about some ADS stuff I found today- and amp, cassette and speakers. I'd never heard of them before, but I recognized them as quality gear. Can't find much about online so I posted the question here just to find out something about them. I've got no use for the cassette deck, even though it is cool in a Nakamichi kind of way. The amp I'll play around with and see if I like it well enough to keep, as well as the speakers. If I like them, I'll keep them. If not, I'll sell them, and if I make a profit I'll be happy. Oh, and because I have found AK to be a resource, not only have I donated money from sales, I've made note in a couple auctions that all profits would go to AK.
 
well he did find them fair and square, its his decision to do with them what he wants. if i were not a hardcore ADS fan who holds the L-810 in high esteem, i probobly wouldnt have even bothered to respond to any part of this thread. he also listened to them and said they were great performers and that he knew they were great speakers. seems that he has little appreciation for quality speakers and his only interest was money. would you want him to continue to solicit information on AK in order to turn a profit on his finds?
 
No, not direct solicitation every time. I too find it annoying for people to troll just for value, when they could check ebay just as easily. But if he wants to cruise AK to learn more about audio gear so that he can turn a better profit, I really don't mind. Of course I'll admit that although I'm an active participant in the community, what I've actually given back in knowledge is uhmmm, somewhat limited. Mostly because beyond what I like hearing, I know very little. So my opinion isn't of much value to him or anyone else. But frankly I'd find it more troubling to be someone like EW, who makes his living repairing stuff, to be bothered by people looking for free advice. Yet he gives quite freely.

My point is that he wasn't exactly unclear in his intentions. Many people here sell things on the bay, we ALL revel when we find a pair of HPM-100's for 5 bucks. Do we feel bad for "ripping off" the seller at a yard sale? Not many do, I imagine. If you had found them and kept them, would you feel bad for underpaying? While he may have abused the collective knowledge by directly asking, is that much worse than just being a member and learning about the hobby?

The crazy thing is I've got all this dang ADS stuff sitting in the truck, never heard of it before, now I can't wait to try it all out!
 
my only point is that he seems to have no interest in audio gear beyond what he can sell it for, and AK is just not the place for that.
 
Back
Top Bottom