• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS metal grills touchup. Paint pens? Dents?

Yup sorta my swan song on this issue in your thread about restoring adequate original grilles. Maybe now we can get back to our regularly scheduled thread and those that are moving forward with replacements can get a brand new thread to enjoy and post Q&A with results.

We'll get back to hounding you on your grilles in a couple weeks after you have decided to do the project and had to some time to actually get to it. Enjoy the speakers, Ohm and ADS.
Gonna try to get on them before I get harassed!!!
 
Wow, thank you for the information on the ADS grills. I will ask my metal shop if there is a stock material that they have for this. Otherwise, I can have it drawn in CAD and made to spec. Who else wants L1290 grills?
 
Threads like this make me glad the L1290 speakers I picked up have grills in mint shape although the rubber bumpers have split so I will have to toss a little bit of adhesive on them.
 
I spent some time fixing the rough condition ADS L1290 grills that I got off the Bay. I had good success with a black sharpie and black shoe polish (paste). I never would have thought of using that combination, thanks again for the information.

Oh, I was able to find an alternative for the obsolete ADS L1290 grill pins/spacers. Not OEM, but works: a 3/4 inch 6-32 alu hex spacer and a 1 inch black oxide 6-32 countersunk flat head hex socket cap screw. Looks stock and the remaining thread grabs the hole in the speaker when pushed in. Works great!
 
Jelle,
Glad to hear you got your grills lined out. Reminds me, I need to work on my dent and blackening scratches.
 
Take the dents out with small tools, it only takes a small amount of pressure to get the dings out then spray paint them, not only will they look great they will sound better as well....:naughty:
I have a pair of L-780's had some small dents and minimum paint chipping to the grills.
I touched them up with Testors model paint.
I would re cloth the insides as well, these grills lets the dust right in and when it gets on those sticky domes forget getting it off.
 
I've had good luck burnishing the back side of ADS/Braun grills with a old Peerless tweeter magnet to "rub-out" the dents.
The key is having a smooth concrete floor to use as a foil for the magnet to reform the dented grill.
Larger dents can be coaxed back into shape with a ball-peen hammer and fine tuned with the magnet
The front side finish can be protected with a layer of soft material between the concrete and grill.
 
I resurrected this thread. I repaired two dents in my grills with small block of wood tapped by rubber hammer. Grill was laying flat on large wood board. I used black magic marker on bare metal areas. Yes, I can see the shinier marker areas within two feet if light reflects right. Paste shoe polish would not cover. Decided on this method instead of painting. Less risk. if it did not work I could spray paint. Satisfactory result. Thanks to all who posted ideas.IMG_20160913_132106.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom