• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Advent 5012w Jensens?

raymeedc

Active Member
I just picked up a pair of Advent 5012w speakers. I was surprised to find out, according to the stickers on the rear, that these were made by Jensen. I guess Jensen continued making these, the last of the original Advent designs, or rebadged the remaining stock of Advent made models for a while after acquiring the company before coming out with their Legacy/Heritage/etc. line. Does anyone know which is the case, how long this went on &, more importantly, if they made any changes to this speaker before ceasing production?
 
Register to hide this ad
I've seen two versions of the 5002/12, with different markings on the back as I mention here:
http://baselaudiolabs.googlepages.com/ADVENT_LA_XO.html

That was intended to be mainly about the crossover network.

I've also noted at least two woofer versions used, one looks to be identical to the NLA woofer as noted by the cloth dust cap and square magnet. The later woofer was likely made by Jensen and utilized a paper dust cap and round magnet motor. The motor geometry is different with different front and back plate thicknesses. I measured the T&S parameters of the round magnet version here; see post 21:
http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=2931

Brief mention of the Jensen style motor:
http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=2921

See post 6 here and the pictures of a Jensen woofer:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2314510#post2314510
 
"The later woofer was likely made by Jensen "

the company "jensen" ,which made the imperial , and other fine speakers , had
nothing to do with these speakers . about as much in common as a Fisher 500-c
has with the "studio standard" line from the '80s .

"jensen" has been bought /sold by such fine outfits as Recoton and Audiovox.

doesn't make "jensen" advents bad speakers,though . i have a pair of prodigy towers
in my theater setup , and they sound fine.

don't feel bad , Altec lansing is/was owned by Sparkomatic !
 
Right not the old Jensen but the new one who today utilizes some of the most advanced computer aided design tools.
 
Back
Top Bottom