• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Advice on several amplifiers

Yea that's the first thing I looked for. It's amazing it has a transformer at this price. I've been reading about these for too long now. I have to try one. I don't really even have a use for it. But I feel like I may really like it.

With ya there, I did not need it at all. I picked it up due to the fact that I was tired of disconnecting and reconnecting gear I bring home to my main amp. It was going to be used as a test amp to test gear I don't have the history on. After the 1st listen I was quite impressed. Have some new CD's arriving tonight, some good stuff. An Ofra Harnoy CD I'm really looking forward to. They sold me that's for sure. I need to do a few side by sides of other amps. I have 2-3 at home, and a few others in storage. Maybe ill up date my post on where it ranks against some popular branded amps. we will see.

Kind Regards,
John
 
I do like the idea of it. But I've never done it. So I have no opinion. And again I was responding to Dave mentioning it. So he opened the lid on it. I did not bring it up. Please read the whole thread!
No, he alluded to it, and you followed through by naming it, thus opening the door to further discussion, and if not., at least participating.
 
Blind testing is and has been controversial. The verdict is "it's bull crap".
That doesn't seem to be the verdict from the manufacturers that use it.
Do you think that if somebody played a trick on a blind man and switched his amp he wouldn't know the difference when the butler fired it up? He's going to walk in and say, "what's wrong"?
Maybe.

If he hears a difference, then there is clearly a sonic difference between his old amp and the new one.

If he doesn't hear a difference, then there isn't any sonic difference -- at least, none that our blind man can hear -- between his old amp and the new one.

Of course, there's the issue of whether or not the butler knows that the amp was changed, and what influence that might have on our blind man. That's why double blind testing is even better.
 
That doesn't seem to be the verdict from the manufacturers that use it.

Maybe.

If he hears a difference, then there is clearly a sonic difference between his old amp and the new one.

If he doesn't hear a difference, then there isn't any sonic difference -- at least, none that our blind man can hear -- between his old amp and the new one.

Of course, there's the issue of whether or not the butler knows that the amp was changed, and what influence that might have on our blind man. That's why double blind testing is even better.
You got me? I'm staying with the maybe. Let's say with no slip ups. The butler is in on it, very astute, the perfect crime.

The bottom line is everybody recognizes an abrupt change after listening to their amp over time. Being taken to task to recognize intermittent changes in gear is not a valid assessment just because it takes time to recognize the various descriptors you attach to a particular amp. Let the intervals last a week and see how the participants fare.
 
Hahah ^^

You guys have me cracking up!!

OP good luck on your amp, do post somebody pix once you have it set up.

Kind Regards,
John
 
Back
Top Bottom