• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

After Wet Cleaning stylus collects fuzz from record. Are records really clean?

IIRC, from the instructions.
The instructions on their website do not mention this (https://spincleanrecordwasher.com/instructions). Maybe the ones that come with the unit?
My research has shown the fluid to be a mix of SDS (anionic detergent), polyaluminum chloride (flocculant), and a preservative (identity unknown). I'd be very interested in whether they are now including enzymes in the mix, as they wouldn't remain very active in the solution, particularly in their storage protocol.
In any event, the system the OP is using is clearly not working properly. Time to change it up or completely go another direction.
 
Last edited:
I find that odd... Are you saying that there's more buildup on the records AFTER the cleaning than there was before? Surely you would have noticed if they were as bad prior to this, right? I don't think that 20 minutes of static attraction could lead to the symptoms you're describing. But it sounds like you're surprised to find dirt on the records, so I'm assuming they were relatively clean before, and didn't gunk up your stylus.

Maybe the fluid is loosening gunk? I'd be interested in a before and after report.
 
Yes, they were clean before I washed them, or at least clean enough that gunk did not build up on the stylus. The reason I wanted to wet clean them was to reduce pops and clicks that I believe are caused by random particles of dirt in the grooves.
 
I use a similar system which has the same problem. It's nothing to do with static attracting dust while drying, nor grooves being damp when played, but everything to do with the brushes loosening, but not removing all, the dirt. What is left, the needle removes over a frustratingly high number of plays. My suspicions were confirmed when, out of interest, I did clean some records that were particularly dirty and manually vacuumed them dry. Gone was the fluff. Happily, there is a solution, if not a particularly elegant one.

I had enough left over after a holiday to buy one of the new Pro-ject RCMs. It arrives next week.
 
View attachment 830421 This is after about 40 records.

:yikes: Good Lord man, you're not cleaning you're records, you're applying dirt to them! First don't EVER let you're cleaning solution get that dirty. If cost is an issue (even if it isn't), use a DIY solution. That dust bunny built up around the stylus is your answer. NO, your records aren't clean yet. If you aren't vacuuming the solution off after washing, you need to rinse it off. I let my records air dry after cleaning but not before being wiped with a clean microfiber cloth.
Just know that sometimes the stylus is going to dig up some stuff left after cleaning.
 
25-30 would be max if the records were not thrift store dirty. SC solution does a great job of taking the dirt to the bottom of the tank. I then lay out 4 micro fiber clothes. 1 for immediate drying and wipe down with another (really working the cloth around to gather any residual), and 3 clothes to air dry after dry/wipe. Works great for me, but I will admit early in my SC attempts I got dust bunnies quickly on the stylus, but then again I was cleaning too many records on 1 tank.
 
Jeff in all honesty a $60 record cleaner doesn't buy/do much today. As a couple others suggested a vac is an important part of the cleaning procedure. If on a very tight budget the Canfab RCM would of been a much better choice.
 
I just ordered the Vinyl Styl system, and with the knowledge I have gained over the years, I am sure I can make it work and have good clean records. I have a micro viewer, and I will check it after playing a few. I also use my D3 system every time as well so I am sure that is going to make a difference. Made my own cleaning fluid for my D3 and it really works well. Alcohol, distilled water, plain dish soup and surfactant. We shall see. I have many records that need deep cleaning...
 
We have no idea the condition of the records prior to cleaning but if they are in less than pristine condition you are going to have to use a more aggressive cleaning procedure than the Record Washer you have now. A record cleaning machine with vacuum system would be my recommendation. I normally don't even consider purchasing records that were neglected so my RCM is probably overkill. I wouldn't consider the Record Washer or similar machines/systems as serious record cleaning equipment. Might be time to up your game and write that purchase off as a lesson.
 
By the way I never have dust/gunk on my stylus, records play as silent as a cd, all due to good equipment and practices. Was worth the initial investment that with good care will last a lifetime.
 
Jeff, those built-in brushes in your pic might not be able to provide enough scrubbing power you may need on some records.
 
Yes, they were clean before I washed them, or at least clean enough that gunk did not build up on the stylus. The reason I wanted to wet clean them was to reduce pops and clicks that I believe are caused by random particles of dirt in the grooves.

Certain solvents, will be more powerful than others.

If the solvent used in the mix was powerful enough to emulsify and loosen the crud that remained undisturbed by the applications of different previous solutions, it can be picked up by the stylus in the first 3-4 plays. Especially if the record is not dried out thoroughly.

I had this happening after trying the WD-40 method and post about it in another thread.
I played the record right after cleaning it with WD-40 and washing it with a liquid detergent.
I assume that the crud was still somewhat wet and loose by the solvent and I was surprised by the amount of gunk picked up by the stylus.
After 4 plays there wasn't much crud left on the grooves, since my stylus came out clean at the end.

The other side wasn't played and left to dry through the night.
When I played it the next day, nothing was picked up by the stylus.
I suppose that the crud must have solidified (dried) back to a thin film during the night and the tip was just riding over it.
Overall, it was an interesting experiment.
 
Last edited:
By the way I never have dust/gunk on my stylus, records play as silent as a cd, all due to good equipment and practices. Was worth the initial investment that with good care will last a lifetime.

That is really nice.
With used and beaten up records, things are tough sometimes. The accumulated dirt on the grooves usually dates back multiple decades.
A sort of stratigraphy layer on a minor scale.
 
OP your Record Washer might of skated by if only used for well cared for records that were stored in poly sleeves and the dustcover also in a sleeve but I doubt the records you purchase are in that kind of condition. Probably ridden hard and rarely if ever cleaned, your choice either upgrade to a serious rcm or only purchase records that were well cared for and kept clean, either way you are going to pay the piper.
 
To the OP
My thoughts are that a RCM is needed if the dust on the stylus is that concerning. Maybe look into the vacuum wand that @ETLS makes and sells in Bartertown. You got to get that crud off the record. It truly makes a major difference. When i bought my VPI 16.5 ($550) I was using a New $350 TT. Even at that level it made a huge difference in the amount of static, surface noise, reduction of dust on my stylus, and the way it made records sound. Like removing several veils from the soundstage. Mine is 7 years old now and still works as new and maybe better, as the learning curve is long gone. If you look at the grooves with a 60-100x jewelers loupe there is virtually no debris left in the grooves.
 
Jeff, those built-in brushes in your pic might not be able to provide enough scrubbing power you may need on some records.
My thought too. They're soft, they don't "dig deep", they're not stiff enough. I have some brushes with quite stiff bristles, and even better, the bristles are all angled at the tips to about 60% — each one resembles a stylus (it's easy to do with a sander). They're softer than the vinyl, and can't harm the grooves.

Sadly your V-MR stylus is great groove digger. The bristles described above come close, and there are 1000s of them.

A different cleaning solution might be better, vacuum is certainly better — but even so the toughest, deepest grunge will stay where it is, it has to be "dug" out. Once loosened, fluid and suction can remove it, but they alone can't loosen it.
 
We have no idea the condition of the records prior to cleaning but if they are in less than pristine condition you are going to have to use a more aggressive cleaning procedure than the Record Washer you have now. A record cleaning machine with vacuum system would be my recommendation. I normally don't even consider purchasing records that were neglected so my RCM is probably overkill. I wouldn't consider the Record Washer or similar machines/systems as serious record cleaning equipment. Might be time to up your game and write that purchase off as a lesson.
You can't always tell if records were neglected. I have some perfect looking vinyl that is noisy as hell. No scratches etc. I have heard a record that was wet played, and you can't hear a single pop or click, but was very noisy before hand. Then played dry again, and much cleaner sounding. The stylus was covered in "mud" though. so something about getting a good wet clean is necessary. I think it was from VWestlife that I saw this. Check it out.
 
By the way I never have dust/gunk on my stylus, records play as silent as a cd, all due to good equipment and practices. Was worth the initial investment that with good care will last a lifetime.
I agree 100%, but I have to start over as my ex sold EVERYTHING after we split up. Happens...
 
Back
Top Bottom