• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Air Guns

Here in the Peoples Republik of San Diego, they are largely frowned upon. But, my neighbors and I have somewhat regular sight-ins. We do these to ensure accuracy, and, thusly, safety. We use my pellet trap on a trash bin for this activity (see trash bin in the image, below).
My rodent fire zone has a larger than necessarily tall backstop made from two courses of 3"+ thick landscape timbers (rounded shoulder, pressure treated 4x4x8's, used for landscaping and other needs). I have two of those timbers at ground level, and then fence boards on top of those to deflect possible ground ricochets, because rodents move quickly. The point of aim/impact is so close to the ground-level base boards that steep angle ricochets are not likely. But if they do occur, there is at least, roughly, 18" of deflection immediately behind the point of impact.
My neighbors are entirely comfortable with this arrangement.

The shot essentially follows the masonry cat path, to, and beyond its end ( the cat loves this path across the foot hurting gravel).
The trash bin to the right is from last nights re-zeroing of the scope. Its my pellet trap; the structure on top of it is a housing that holds a thick steel plate on an angle to flatten and trap pellets. It rained last night, and my paper plate target is sagging.
DSCN0498.jpeg

DSCN0496.jpeg

Two courses of landscape timbers with two fence boards mounted on top of them. Its all scrap wood bits, so its a tad rough.
The rodents enter from the sides of the backstop, and, generally feed directly next to the timbers base courses - the Fire Zone.
DSCN0497.jpeg
Large numbers of Sage Rats (ground squirrels), and various rats and mice, have met their demise here.
It works very well. I've never had a pellet get through it, even with my more powerful Beeman PCP rifle.
 
It's usually considered to be in the misfit category of USA states. California always runs counter to the majority of states and often seems to have aspirations of becoming an independent country. Maybe the entire left coast of the USA will join Canada someday
No thanks.We already have enough problems
 
The Beeman P17 and Q-Tip darts are popping more rodents! I got one of two that I found on opening the gen shed. The other one,.... its just a matter of time.

From my generator shed, and, from along the hinge line fold for a tilt-up roof.
From about 10 minutes ago. I popped it up closer to the top, about 4' higher. It fell to the floor on impact - dead on arrival.

A dead mouse in following pics. If that is offensive to you, then don't open the images.

View attachment 3006721

View attachment 3006722

The shot entered behind the right ear, and went almost all the way through the body. The cotton fletching end entered into the body cavity, and is no longer visible..
View attachment 3006723

A Q-Tip dart is a typical Q-Tip, with cotton ends. It is cut into halves with nail clippers, and cut at a steep angle to create a point.

Well,... today was a fairly epic day for rodent elimination. i found mice droppings just outside the door of my generator shed. So, I opened it up, and sure as day, there was a whole family of mice running around in there.
So, I went and cut 3 Q-Tips into 6 pieces, and, got 6 mice. I lost track of one of them.

Pics of dead rodents follows. If offensive to you - fair warning - don't open the images
DSCN0544.jpegDSCN0546.jpeg

My new bionic eyes seem to function well.
 
I was doing a zero check, due to a shim block falling out of the rear sight.
That rear sight is held in place by a set screw, and a spring (screw and nut combo). On mine, that spring didn't hold the rear sight elevation well enough, and in fairly short order, it was off of its zero. So, a number of years ago, I set a piece of brass bar stock under the rear sight, and tightened the screw down hard, in order to hold that shim block in place.
Well, I've shot a ton of mice in my gen.shed, and, after the last effort, the shim fell out, after years of faithful effort. So, I set up my pellet trap, and with a shim of a piece of popsicle stick (exact same thickness as the brass shim), I re-zeroed this afternoon, and got it same-holing at 10', and shooting out a series of pencil eraser size dots on a paper plate apart. But I got sloppy, and forgot about is love for things like fingers, chest flesh, or, the worst: man nipples.
I managed to close the breech entirely, and, the action locked in place. So, I had to take the safety off, and fire it off, with my finger pinched. This allowed for the hammer to be pulled back, and the action opened, and my finger came free.
 
Kind of reminds me of “slide bite”. Students on the 9mm course would get it when they didn’t listen to instructions well…there was always at least one….

Is that the notch cut in the gripping hand?
I went fishing/hiking with some friends, and Sarge, up on a local creek. He brought along a small 9mm, and insisted that I shoot it. The grip was smaller than my hand (huge mitts!), but I tried anyway. I ended up with the slide mechanism carving a channel in the mid-knuckle of my right thumb. mm mmm pleasantness.
 
Last edited:
Is that the notch cut in the gripping hand?
I went fishing/hiking with some friends, and Sarge, up on a local creek. He brought along a small 9mm, and insisted that I shoot it. The grip was smaller than my hand (huge mitts!), but I tried anyway. I ended up with the slide mechanism carving a channel in the mid-knuckle of my right thumb. mm mmm pleasantness.
That would be the one. Most get it at the back in the crook of the thumb where it meets the hand. They usually choke up too much on the grip and when the slide racks: nip! Ouch!
 
That would be the one. Most get it at the back in the crook of the thumb where it meets the hand. They usually choke up too much on the grip and when the slide racks: nip! Ouch!
Probably a Walther PPK. Guarantied hammer bite for large hands and terrible double action trigger pull. Fortunately my wife wanted the other “James Bond gun” as she put it. She has an Sig Sauer P230 in .380.
 
Last edited:
Probably a Walther PPK. Guarantied hammer bite for large hands and terrible double action trigger pull. Fortunately my wife wanted the other “James Bond gun” as she put it. She has an Sig Sauer P380.
Having owned both, as well as the little Kimber and Colt mini-1911, the S&W 380 BodyGuard is far superior to all in an ergonomic sense. Easy on the hands (actually quite comfortable to handle & shoot) and a decent trigger. Both contribute to its being easier to achieve decent accuracy with.
 
Probably a Walther PPK. Guarantied hammer bite for large hands and terrible double action trigger pull. Fortunately my wife wanted the other “James Bond gun” as she put it. She has an Sig Sauer P380.
Our training piece was the standard issue Browning. We train like we fight and fight like we train.

Calling it slide bite might be a bit misleading on my part. It was actually hammer bite on the Browning. Most average people won’t understand “hammer bite” like the term “slide bite”.

If you moved on to something like a glock in spec ops, then slide bite was more of a possibility.

Of course, if you made it to specialist training, you usually had enough on the ball to avoid it. That is unless you were “in the middle of something” and your attention was drawn away/split at the exact wrong moment…..but thats what tac gloves are for.
 
Last edited:
What caused the finger bite was that I had lost a brass shim that I used to steady the elevation screw that tended to cause the elev. setting to change. The slam closing of the 'slide' breech of the P17 caused havoc on the elevation zero. It would quickly lose its zero.
So, a few years ago, I added a brass shim under the rear sight, and locked it down, and that stabilized it. That shim is thick enough, such that, it brought the p17 into a perfectly acceptable zero to be used in short range, and slightly longer range accuracy, and, not lose its zero. Almost all of my shooting with it is at or under 10' in distance, and the shim thickness worked out wonderfully. Example: Gophers are pretty much blind, and I can get to within -5' of them, and pop them when they stick their head out of the holes; or the mice in the gen.shed are really close range as well.
Then the shim became lost after several years in place. i replaced it, and, in checking zero, I got sloppy.

This is the elevation screw shim block. It is as far forward as possible, and, clear of the l/r windage adjustment. It just locks the elevation screw into place.
DSCN0569.jpegDSCN0572.jpeg
 
The PPK/S fits my large hands with no problem, never a bite. I just inherited a 1926 Colt Police Positive in .32 and the frame is very small. Might be the gun the Keystone Cops used. Back to topic, I've always found shooting my Webley Tempest and modified Daisy 717 keeps me in practice for my very infrequent shoots with powder propelled projectiles.
 
I think I still have three air pistols, my dad's Hy-Score concentric, an HW-70, and a Beeman/ HW P-1. Both Webleys are gone as is the vintage Crosman pumper.
Also a few long airguns, couple of Feinworkbau springers 300S mini and sport standard .177, Diana 48 on a Tyrol stock, Berman/Webley C-1, a Sheridan Silver Steak needing TLC, and a couple other springers.
 
Last edited:
I've also got an old Crossman Challenger 6100, aka Diana 45 (?), that shoots well. There was a recall on the safety, but I never did it as it seems to work fine and I never trust a safety anyway.
 
The PPK/S fits my large hands with no problem, never a bite. I just inherited a 1926 Colt Police Positive in .32 and the frame is very small. Might be the gun the Keystone Cops used. Back to topic, I've always found shooting my Webley Tempest and modified Daisy 717 keeps me in practice for my very infrequent shoots with powder propelled projectiles.
I wasn’t so lucky, but my glove size is XXL. My Sig P220 with a Hogue grip sleeve fits just right.
 
this mornings target practice at the Whack-A-Mole range (35' out); from my rear patio. It is a Gopher, fwiw. It got hit right in the gills.

Once again,.... The images are of a dead rodent. If that is offensive to you, don't open the images.

img 580 is the shoot angle from a seated position.
img 579 is a taller standing perspective, but not the shot angle
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0579.jpeg
    DSCN0579.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN0580.jpeg
    DSCN0580.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN0581.jpeg
    DSCN0581.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN0582.jpeg
    DSCN0582.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom