• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Air Guns

I got the replacement scope, yesterday, and mounted it. I then took it out to my pellet trap, in really close at first to make sure that I was't going to miss, or, shoot around the corner again. I got it dialed enough to be able to achieve some tight groups, same holes, etc. But not dead-on zero. So, today, I break out the sandbags, and, dead-eye the thing.
It was interesting to watvch the patterns develop as I brought the POA and POI together, and created a trace towards target center. I'd totally lost that ability with the old scope. So it was satisfying in that way.
 
I got the replacement scope, yesterday, and mounted it. I then took it out to my pellet trap, in really close at first to make sure that I was't going to miss, or, shoot around the corner again. I got it dialed enough to be able to achieve some tight groups, same holes, etc. But not dead-on zero. So, today, I break out the sandbags, and, dead-eye the thing.
It was interesting to watvch the patterns develop as I brought the POA and POI together, and created a trace towards target center. I'd totally lost that ability with the old scope. So it was satisfying in that way.
I can usually lock in with 5 or less shots with a steady rest. Fire one shot at bull center. Reload and sight in on the hole. Keeping gun still, walk cross hairs back to bull center. Repeat. Sometimes 2 shots is all you need. I use a large Caldwell Tack Driver bag and a deft hand.
 
You're gonna chuckle at my hillbilly technique.
I have my pellet trap which has been great. To that, I have a apir of slots (90º drip edge) to add a cut sheet of 1/4" crafting foam from the dollar store; one sheet makes two target backers.
To that backer, I add a 9" paper plate, on which I draw a large + with dots at the end of each line, and at the center intersection. I also add dots in the center of each formed quadrant. I start with one of the centered quadrant dots, and sight on that one, until there is no more dot. Then I go around the horn, popping the centers of centered quadrant dots. When those are blown out, I clean off the end of line dots, and then the dead center dot.
Its air refill time at that point, and I rest.

And, now to confirm my amateur status,....
When the scope took a dump, and went away, I was trying different things to try to figure out what was going on. It was not allowing me to raise my elevation enough to hit target. So, I tried shimming the barrel/air tube combination at the muzzle end of the forearm, with a 1/16" piece of brass bar stock that was about 3/8" wide. That brought the shot up, but other issues were far greater. So, I took the scope off and sent it in.
Then, yesterday, i got it set up, and dialed it in.
In the middle of the night, last night, I realized that I'd forgotten to take that shim out. So, today, I started all over on a re-zero, and have a bunch of blown out dots.
 
What are the first 2 and what cal? FX?
The first is an FX M3. I have setups for .30 with a 700mm barrel and .22 with a 600mm barrel. Its a real tack driver! The second is a Edgun Leshiy 2. Shown is a .22 450mm barrel. I also have .22 in 250mm barrel and .30 with 350mm barrel. The L2 is a semi auto and a lot of fun. Surprising accurate. The last is a Steyr LP 50 HP version in .177.
 
I never knew such guns even existed. Nice!
Mostly thanks to the European countries where powder burners are mostly illegal. They have taken air guns to a very high level of performance but most have restrictions of no more than 12 foot pounds of energy. No such restrictions in US. My .30 caliber setups easily get 70 foot pounds.
 
Last edited:
How would 70 ftlbs compare with say a 30/30?
Not well. 30/30 around 1,300 fps depending on load and bullet shape. To get a lot of energy out of an air rifle, you need a big caliber. Think 45 or 50 cal balls or bullets moving slow (relative to powder burners) at 750 fps. At close range, you can take down some big game. A conventional Diablo shaped pellet is too light. Many airguns in the .30, 380 cal, 9mm, etc shoot cast slugs vs pellets for real power. Shot count is very low cuz you need to move a lot of air for a heavy projectile.
 
Air guns are good for target and small vermin/game, but just not cost effective for what powder burners do better by comparoson.
 
Air guns are good for target and small vermin/game, but just not cost effective for what powder burners do better by comparoson.
Generally, the advantages of airguns are:
Cheaper to shoot.
Quiet - neighbor friendly.
Don't require as big of a range.
Dissimilar regulations.

One great example. I can shoot powder burners here but I must be 300' from an occupied structure. I can walk out on my deck and shoot my pellet rifle.
 
Air guns are good for target and small vermin/game, but just not cost effective for what powder burners do better by comparoson.
I mostly use my air guns to safely and quietly keep my shooting instincts sharp on the convenience of my own property. I’ll always grab a powder burner for hunting or pest control if it safe to do so. If safety or noise is a concern I have no problem turning to an air rifle for anything up to a coyote and at less than 100 yards.
 
So, lots of stuff has happened over the last few months, including going legally blind; but, that legally blind thing is getting fixed.

My Beeman leaking valve seems to be fixed.
The last time that I pumped it up was in mid-November, and it hasn't budged since then; perfect pressure.
Then, I got a flu-vid thing, and this stuff got side-lined for a while; then blindness sort of really slowed things down a wee bit on the rodent popping front.
Tuesday, two weeks ago, I got a new bionic lens implant in my right eye, and, I can see the light again.

So, how do you followup being able to see again?
You blast a fat rat a couple of days later, using my new bionic right eye. Rat number one for the week.
I'm naturally right eye dominant. When the Cataract caused total 100% blurriness in the right side, I taught myself to shoot from the left. That was sort of weird, but, it became very natural feeling. Then my left eye joined in the Cataract fracas, and I started to get a little panicky; doctors visits were made, artificial lens implanted.
It was equally weird to go back to the naturally dominant right eye after a few years of not using it.

Then, last night, a rat showed up in the fire zone, and it got popped, for rat number two in the week. Bionic right eye shot.

Tonight,... a mouse entered the Fire Zone, and was immediately dispatched. Right eye, again.

These were shots at 30'
Crosman 1322 .22 Bug-out kit (Pyramyd Air promo kit) w/ 14" barrel, Baker aluminum breech upgrade, skeletal stock, Winchester 2-7x32 AO scope (scavenged from my old dead Crosman 2100 multi-pumper .177)

The game is back on. I get Lefty lens replaced in a month from now. I'm really looking forward to that (with pun emphasized)

Rat number two - last nights rodent:
DSCN0486.jpeg

Tonights mouse:
DSCN0491.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom