• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Air Guns

Is it a hunk of plastic maybe splined onto barrel? Any grub screw? You could take a board and drill a hole a tad larger than the diameter of the steel barrel just past the brake. Then rip the board in half and clamp it together around the barrel using wood screws. Whack both sides of it with a rubber mallet to drive it down off the barrel and it should come off.
Why bother? A little extra mass at the end of the barrel is good for stability.
 
the use of a moderator on air guns,.... and why.

I live in a creek valley at the base of a mountain, and have a half round *bowl that is formed by the draws and canyons that come off that mountain above us. It is a nearly perfect half round bowl of terrain on that side; and, the other shoulder of this same canyon is a mere 200 yards away, and, probably 500' higher than we are as well. That bowl of terrain on the mountain above us has a very strong echoing characteristic about it. You get a reverb cycle of a few seconds until the echo totally settles out. It is such a strong echo that my neighbors dog constantly barked at itself, thinking that other dogs up on the hill were barking back at him. He did this every day, for years, until his passing.

Now, my Beeman PCP .22 has a bark of its own that resounds through at least three reverb cycles up there. It is very loud, and the hills don't let go of it for a few cycles.
So what, Mike, its just an air rifle,.... right?
The Beeman barks as loud as a powder burner. I feel that it is as loud as a rim-fire .22, or, perhaps as loud as the next size caliber powder burner. I would love for something to reduce that noise footprint.

*utilizing snow skiing terminology to describe this terrain feature.
 
the use of a moderator on air guns,.... and why.

I live in a creek valley at the base of a mountain, and have a half round *bowl that is formed by the draws and canyons that come off that mountain above us. It is a nearly perfect half round bowl of terrain on that side; and, the other shoulder of this same canyon is a mere 200 yards away, and, probably 500' higher than we are as well. That bowl of terrain on the mountain above us has a very strong echoing characteristic about it. You get a reverb cycle of a few seconds until the echo totally settles out. It is such a strong echo that my neighbors dog constantly barked at itself, thinking that other dogs up on the hill were barking back at him. He did this every day, for years, until his passing.

Now, my Beeman PCP .22 has a bark of its own that resounds through at least three reverb cycles up there. It is very loud, and the hills don't let go of it for a few cycles.
So what, Mike, its just an air rifle,.... right?
The Beeman barks as loud as a powder burner. I feel that it is as loud as a rim-fire .22, or, perhaps as loud as the next size caliber powder burner. I would love for something to reduce that noise footprint.

*utilizing snow skiing terminology to describe this terrain feature.
PCP noise is quite high. If your barrel end is threaded you can easily install a moderator which would make it mouse fart quiet. If not, you'd need to add a clamp on adapter on front of barrel.

Springer shooters don't need them and some are so hideously BIG they interfere with sight picture through a scope.
 
Last edited:
Two of mine are scoped. Don't recall if what's on the end of the Diana 48 interfering with the Macarri scope. Haven't shot any of them in years, shame on me. At least the FWB 300S range mule deserves an outing.
 
Two of mine are scoped. Don't recall if what's on the end of the Diana 48 interfering with the Macarri scope. Haven't shot any of them in years, shame on me. At least the FWB 300S range mule deserves an outing.
2 nice German springers right there.
 
The Beeman P17 and Q-Tip darts are popping more rodents! I got one of two that I found on opening the gen shed. The other one,.... its just a matter of time.

From my generator shed, and, from along the hinge line fold for a tilt-up roof.
From about 10 minutes ago. I popped it up closer to the top, about 4' higher. It fell to the floor on impact - dead on arrival.

A dead mouse in following pics. If that is offensive to you, then don't open the images.

DSCN0364.jpeg

DSCN0366.jpeg

The shot entered behind the right ear, and went almost all the way through the body. The cotton fletching end entered into the body cavity, and is no longer visible..
DSCN0367.jpeg

A Q-Tip dart is a typical Q-Tip, with cotton ends. It is cut into halves with nail clippers, and cut at a steep angle to create a point.
 
Last edited:
So, I have this love-hate thing going with my Beeman Chief.
The list of isms is long, and, I'm a sucker for something that I feel that I can fix, or, otherwise endeavor to keep alive.

I've spent endless hours trying to fix the leaking valve; finally accomplished. It holds perfect pressure now.
My latest gripe is the pellet probe-bolt, and its o-ring seals that close off the breech on closing the bolt. They're are forever getting guillotined by the round barrel, and the flatteing out at the loading tray interface. It seems to be razor sharp there in some way, and I've tried to grind the area with my Dremel and tapered grinder bits, but as a manual file only, no motorized rotation. Nothing has worked, and, I'm far beyond all of my local sources in finding working rings.
Frustrated.

So, I've been thinking about getting the probe machined to accept o-rings of a more formidable size, but don't want to spend the buck$ on that.

Then, last night, it came to me, almost dreamlike,... my long long rime favorite hobbyist/crafting item, K&S Precision Metals, and its precision brass tubing.
The precision brass tubing is designed to be perfectly concentric from one size to the next, in either diameter sizing direction. By this, I mean that each piece of tubing fits perfectly within, or, over the other pieces in the collection. The fit is tight enough for perfect for solder sweat fitting, and, pressure applications.
I can't express well enough the amount of different projects that this stuff has been totally integral in designing.

So, this morning, with total confidence in what I was about to do, I set up my 1/2" portable drill, and clamped it to my work bench, to be used as an improv lathe, I chucked the 1/2" end of the bolt into the drill, and, with a high-speed Dremel and grinde bit, I reduced the area where the o-rings were slotted to fit, and, I ground it down to perfectly accommodate a sleeve of precision brass tubing. That tubings O.D. was an ideal match to the fit of the o-rings, a snug smooth contact. I pushed that tubing as far back as it would go, and epoxied it into place.
I then took the next size larger tubing, with an o.d. of .25", which is the perfect snug smooth fit to the entrance of the breech/end of pellet probe. That .25" [iece of tubing creates a step up tapering that fills that breech end to a perfect close.

Suddenly, its a lot more quiet, without the breech end blasting towards me. And that was an emanating sound source that really added a pronounced clap sound being so close to the valve.

DSCN0371.jpegDSCN0373.jpegDSCN0374.jpegDSCN0375.jpeg


I forgot to add,....
It passes the tissue test of laying a piece of tissue paper over the breech/bolt/probe area, and firing it off.
That piece of tissue stayed in place.
This is a win in my book!
 
Last edited:
Still flexing my Umarex Ruger .22 and have pretty much cleaned out the tree squirrel population here. The only thing I have against it is it's weight. With my choice of scope (not the one pictured) it feels like it weighs as much as an elephant gun but once sighted in, it has been consistently spot-on deadly with the bushy-tailed vermin.View attachment 2976622
My kids always want to get me something for Christmas. That might just do the trick. Lists for $229, can buy on the bay for $179.
 
My kids always want to get me something for Christmas. That might just do the trick. Lists for $229, can buy on the bay for $179.
91XF9WfIpuL._AC_SL1500_.jpgbackside.jpgI pull these out when things get serious between me and the bushy tailed ones. Excellent accuracy with the Umarex.
 
So, I have this love-hate thing going with my Beeman Chief.
The list of isms is long, and, I'm a sucker for something that I feel that I can fix, or, otherwise endeavor to keep alive.

I've spent endless hours trying to fix the leaking valve; finally accomplished. It holds perfect pressure now.
My latest gripe is the pellet probe-bolt, and its o-ring seals that close off the breech on closing the bolt. They're are forever getting guillotined by the round barrel, and the flatteing out at the loading tray interface. It seems to be razor sharp there in some way, and I've tried to grind the area with my Dremel and tapered grinder bits, but as a manual file only, no motorized rotation. Nothing has worked, and, I'm far beyond all of my local sources in finding working rings.
Frustrated.

So, I've been thinking about getting the probe machined to accept o-rings of a more formidable size, but don't want to spend the buck$ on that.

Then, last night, it came to me, almost dreamlike,... my long long rime favorite hobbyist/crafting item, K&S Precision Metals, and its precision brass tubing.
The precision brass tubing is designed to be perfectly concentric from one size to the next, in either diameter sizing direction. By this, I mean that each piece of tubing fits perfectly within, or, over the other pieces in the collection. The fit is tight enough for perfect for solder sweat fitting, and, pressure applications.
I can't express well enough the amount of different projects that this stuff has been totally integral in designing.

So, this morning, with total confidence in what I was about to do, I set up my 1/2" portable drill, and clamped it to my work bench, to be used as an improv lathe, I chucked the 1/2" end of the bolt into the drill, and, with a high-speed Dremel and grinde bit, I reduced the area where the o-rings were slotted to fit, and, I ground it down to perfectly accommodate a sleeve of precision brass tubing. That tubings O.D. was an ideal match to the fit of the o-rings, a snug smooth contact. I pushed that tubing as far back as it would go, and epoxied it into place.
I then took the next size larger tubing, with an o.d. of .25", which is the perfect snug smooth fit to the entrance of the breech/end of pellet probe. That .25" [iece of tubing creates a step up tapering that fills that breech end to a perfect close.

Suddenly, its a lot more quiet, without the breech end blasting towards me. And that was an emanating sound source that really added a pronounced clap sound being so close to the valve.

View attachment 3018494View attachment 3018495View attachment 3018496View attachment 3018497


I forgot to add,....
It passes the tissue test of laying a piece of tissue paper over the breech/bolt/probe area, and firing it off.
That piece of tissue stayed in place.
This is a win in my book!
Well, your persistent, I'll give you that. Breech seal failure is a common source of loss of power and certainly a bad leade is generally one possible culprit. If you could get the barrel out, a slight tapering (1-3 deg) and polishing of the leade may have also fixed the problem but there are always at least 2 ways to skin a cat. Good job. Extending the bolt a bit also ensures proper seating of the pellet into the rifling lands. Good job.
 
Well, your persistent, I'll give you that. Breech seal failure is a common source of loss of power and certainly a bad leade is generally one possible culprit. If you could get the barrel out, a slight tapering (1-3 deg) and polishing of the leade may have also fixed the problem but there are always at least 2 ways to skin a cat. Good job. Extending the bolt a bit also ensures proper seating of the pellet into the rifling lands. Good job.

Persistence,...
Well, the scope started sighting in things around the corner, and sending out wild fliers.
It is a Leapers UTG Mini-SWAT 4-16x44 that I bought in mid-2018. It decided to lose any zeroing ability just as I thought that I might be getting close to finishing this thing out (my Beeman Chief).
So, i contacted Leapers, and they responded fantastically in regard to their lifetime warranty.
So, I sent the scope in, and they said, FUBAR'd.
Today, I contacted Bill Sanchez of Leapers, again, to see if there was any sort of diagnosis, and they said that they were sending out a new one today on warranty.
Great service on a mid-price scope. I'd recommend them again, based on this.
 
Persistence,...
Well, the scope started sighting in things around the corner, and sending out wild fliers.
It is a Leapers UTG Mini-SWAT 4-16x44 that I bought in mid-2018. It decided to lose any zeroing ability just as I thought that I might be getting close to finishing this thing out (my Beeman Chief).
So, i contacted Leapers, and they responded fantastically in regard to their lifetime warranty.
So, I sent the scope in, and they said, FUBAR'd.
Today, I contacted Bill Sanchez of Leapers, again, to see if there was any sort of diagnosis, and they said that they were sending out a new one today on warranty.
Great service on a mid-price scope. I'd recommend them again, based on this.
Leapers makes a decent air rifle scope. Springers are especially hard on scoped because of the dual recoil. It's rare to have one bust on a PCP rifle. Glad they took care of you.
 
Back
Top Bottom