• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Aiwa

Aiwa AD-3700

Back when I was into "specs" I bought this Aiwa cassette deck (1981?) It was a 3 head dual capstan deck. It had a very wide freq. responce, and high s/n ratio. Many of my TDK SA-90 cassettes were recorded on this deck...yes I filled out the cassette's questionaire, and still have 95% of those tapes.

There was a remote control add-on (another $100...it was a separate box..basic functions only) I liked the 3 head design. Push the monitor button, and instantly compare source/tape. When I started recording Cds it was hard to tell which setting it was on (tape or source)

Bought it at HI FI Buys-Bailey's Crossroads in Alexandria Va. Around $400 with the remote. :yes: It developed issues with the capstan (I think?), and I eventually chucked it. :bash:


Very much a sleeper deck.
 
Last edited:
Im am an owner of 3 Aiwa cassette units. A HS-G35 walkman, a XK-009 Excelia tape deck, and the famed XK-S9000 deck. I must say the 9000 is a nice deck, but mine the bias has shifted due to improper meter reading. Not sure if that can be fixed or not. The levels don't show what they are supposed to be on my deck in one channel. The 009 deck the erase head doesn't work after 1 second. The walkman is ok, but the volume switch needs some Deoxit.

Here are a couple pics of my two Aiwa decks. I took off the side wood panels till I finish the servicing needed on them.
 

Attachments

  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 9000.JPG
    9000.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
That's a 6900. I've got a couple of them, and a 6900 MK II. They are *very* good decks, although as you note, a nightmare to change belts on. I changed them on one of mine, and I am in no rush to do the other two..

Aiwa also made some fine mini components. The 22 series is very good quality, and pretty good looking too.

Aiwa also made one of the better Walkman units, a real metal cased unit that cost $200 in 1980 or so. I've still got one of those too.

HTH,

bs


Yes, it's a 6900 MKII. I even had the remote for it. To think I bought it for $10 over 15 years ago at the swap.
 
I was no spec-head in the day but, back in the '80s Aiwa was the must-have brand in 'personal stereo' -- aka "Walkman" -- far beyond (any affordable) Sony so, though I haven't had much experience of the brand since, I certainly never considered them to be low-end. When I became aware of the XK-S9000 a while ago, I wasn't too surprised, let's just say.
 
I've always been under the impression that Aiwa decks were quite good at least the higher end ones. Back in the early 80's a friend of mine bought one new. It had a strange loading system. Horizontal like a car deck but was transparent so you could see the tape iirc. Anyway he made me tapes on it all the time and they sounded excellent.
 
I have 2 ADF 800 series decks. Both make fantastic recordings. Had to do the belt job on both, but was not bad at all. One of them I picked up at a thrift, and for $28.00 total, have a great unit. Underrated, IMO
 
AIWA Receiver:

Had one of these AIWA AX-7500 last year,very well built and decent power I thought....:):thmbsp:
 

Attachments

  • AIWA AX-7500.jpg
    AIWA AX-7500.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 31
my daily desktop driver for the last few years has been an aiwa af-3090 casseiver...
a fairly obscure mid -late 70's model that most folks would pass by as just another gimmicky 3-in-1 compromise unit and certaintly not hi-fidelity...:nono:
..which is a good thing ...because i'd buy another one tomorrow :D
 
Last edited:
In 1985 I bought one of their HSJ02 portable radio/cassette walkman style (recording) decks. It was the best portable unit I ever owned _ I still have it around somewhere.

IMO this was one of their bestselling portable units - until Sony bought their technology and things went tumbling down.
 
As you can see in my sig, Im the proud owner of an F 770. Lots of electronics for sure, thank goodness they all work. That being said, playback and recording is spectacular. This Aiwa is no joke as far as Im concerned.
 
Someone commented somewhere that Aiwa was the upper market version of Sony. I know the two companies shared technology and even the same factory. Sort of like Sony is Honda and Aiwa was Acura.

Aiwa got their start on tape players- mostly portables. They were well known for tape units. Someone commented they hate Aiwa tape decks because of the plastic delrin gears they use which break easily. May be true, but I don't have transport issues with either my 009 or 9000.
 
Back
Top Bottom