• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AK Newbie IN Tennessee

Tech45

Member
Hello, everyone. My name is John and I am the owner/technician at Hayes Electronics in Sparta, TN. I have been in the electronics repair industry for 39 years, repairing just about anything that graces my doorway. With TV repair circling the proverbial bowl, I decided a while back to shift my focus to vintage audio repair. In short order, I found myself addicted (I'm sure you folks have no experience with that ;) ) to not only repair and restoration, but (much to my wife's chagrin) acquisition. So, I finally made the jump from unregistered lurker to registered newbie here. Thanks for having me!
 
Register to hide this ad
Hello John, thank you for introducing yourself and welcome to Audiokarma.org from a fellow Tennessean. I wish you were closer as I have a couple of Pioneer receivers in need of restoration.
 
I know a few folks very capable of repairing/restoring the vintage stuff that are in Tennessee. Depending upon where you are located, I may be able to refer you to one of them. I would not even mention any recommendations if I did not personally know these guys. Oh, and thanks for the welcome!
 
Great to have another experienced technician aboard... Welcome!

Edit: Just to be clear, I am NOT one.. just a duffer who occasionally figures stuff out with some help from wiser kind folks.
 
Welcome to the forums from Virginia.
I moved from TN to VA in '95 to work for a larger company for a lot more money. I lived in Franklin County (Rocky Mount), then Bedford County (Smith Mountain Lake/Moneta) and worked in Roanoke. I was there for 13 years and made a LOT of really good friends. Wife and I try to go up for a visit at least once a year.
 
Great to have another experienced technician aboard... Welcome!

Edit: Just to be clear, I am NOT one.. just a duffer who occasionally figures stuff out with some help from wiser kind folks.
I've been doing this since 1982 and learn new stuff every day. I will try to help others with troubleshooting questions as much as time allows. I am far from the best, but (*yanks own chain*) I'm pretty darned good. :cool:
 
Welcome aboard John
I started out in radio and TV back in the early 70's. Before I enlisted.
 
Last edited:
Welcome aboard John
I started out in radio and TV back in the early 70's. Before I enlisted.
I was the go-to guy in high school for car stereo stuff. Then, I joined the Army. Field radio and fixed station receiver transmitter repair and then crossed over in to ComSec (secure communications). Grandfather was a genius, especially with electronics. He repaired radio equipment in the Navy in WWII. Then, he went to work for the Dept. of the Navy designing missile launch systems for destroyers and carriers. Repaired TV's and radios on the side. He got me started when I was about 6 years old with Radio Shack electronics kits and the like. Electronics is all I have ever done, but I also build, modify, repair and set up electric guitars and do fine woodworking as hobbies. Thank you for your service!

And, a big thanks to everyone else for the warm welcome!
 
Welcome from another Tennessean a few counties south of you! Where is Hayes Electronics? I lived in Sparta for 2 years back in the mid-1970's, but it surely has grown and changed since then.
 
Back
Top Bottom