Very helpful
Thank you, this answers alot of questions. It didn't see people more interested in the DBX version of the 747 than the regular version and I think this answers it.
Thanks for the help.
I currently have a standard 747 running through some old but great Crown equipment and with the DBX 224 that I just bought and the DBX 4BX unit to expand the dynamic range, it sounds pretty awesome; atleast to my ears.
I am working a deal on another 747 in black this time and your info has helped alot.
Jim
Any thought on meters, which are more accurate and easier to set the normal VU or the led meters?
Jim
The answer to that is not as simple as you might guess.
Yes can can buy external dbx units. But deciding which one to chose is not so easy.
The 747dbx came with dbx Type I NR (the professional version) which I have always felt was a poor choice for a consumer machine due to its extreme dropout sensitivity and extreme sensitivity to the type of HF response roll-off that one experiences at 3.75ips.
If you want a type I unit for the purposes of maintaining compatilbility, then get a DBX 150.
But if you actually intend to use DBX NR, I recommend that you get a DBX 224 series unit (dbx type II NR). These are far less sensitive to drop-outs and HF compression problems that you will have on virtually all consumer machines.
Thank you, this answers alot of questions. It didn't see people more interested in the DBX version of the 747 than the regular version and I think this answers it.
Thanks for the help.
I currently have a standard 747 running through some old but great Crown equipment and with the DBX 224 that I just bought and the DBX 4BX unit to expand the dynamic range, it sounds pretty awesome; atleast to my ears.
I am working a deal on another 747 in black this time and your info has helped alot.
Jim
Any thought on meters, which are more accurate and easier to set the normal VU or the led meters?
Jim