• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Allow me to stereotype the 'classic audiophile' ...

estreeter

Super Member
The holy trinity -

1. classical music, particularly large-scale orchestral and choral music in 16th century churches

2. jazz

3. classic rock - back in the 80s, we called in 'MoR'.

Am I the only one who longs for accurate reproduction of :

- Clarence Clemons' tenor sax
- Little Walter's harmonica
- Opeth, in all their black-fingernails glory
- Rammstein at full cry
- Van Halen live circa 1990
- John Petrucci's blazing guitar

If one wanted to be pedantic, it's pretty clear that many of the above owe their 'rock/blues/whatever stylings' to their classical and jazz forebears, but this is the music I prefer to listen to, and in audiophile terms, I often feel like an outcast. The emphasis on classical piano, woodwind instruments and the female voice among reviewers is just staggering : percussion occasionally gets a mention, but God help any reviewer who includes Linkin Park or Iron Maiden in a 'serious' review. Apparently that is the music of the 'common people', and we audiophiles are all grown-up, cerebral types, right ?

I dont expect anything to change, and I guess this just follows from my 'anti-Krall' rant a few weeks back, but I sometimes wonder if I'm getting impressions almost exclusively from folk who have never listened to anything 'heavier' than George Thorogood .....

What say you, AKers ? Am I just a nut standing on a wooden box in the park, reading from the bible of inane musical choices or do I have something resembling a point ? :D
 
Register to hide this ad
Yeah, I listen to Van Halen while rubbing anti-acne cream on my face and waiting for my fake ID to arrive by mail.

NOT!

22849859.jpg
 
Its kinda hard to rebel against "the Man" at 45. Mortgage, wife, ex-wife, kids, health, second mortgage... you stop caring about war, piece, love etc. You just hate rich people now and try to calm down and relax as much as you can.
 
So it sounds like you are saying that you have good taste in music and this straw man 'audiophile' doesn't, is that it?
 
The holy trinity -

1. classical music, particularly large-scale orchestral and choral music in 16th century churches

2. jazz

3. classic rock - back in the 80s, we called in 'MoR'.

Am I the only one who longs for accurate reproduction of :

- Clarence Clemons' tenor sax
- Little Walter's harmonica
- Opeth, in all their black-fingernails glory
- Rammstein at full cry
- Van Halen live circa 1990
- John Petrucci's blazing guitar

If one wanted to be pedantic, it's pretty clear that many of the above owe their 'rock/blues/whatever stylings' to their classical and jazz forebears, but this is the music I prefer to listen to, and in audiophile terms, I often feel like an outcast. The emphasis on classical piano, woodwind instruments and the female voice among reviewers is just staggering : percussion occasionally gets a mention, but God help any reviewer who includes Linkin Park or Iron Maiden in a 'serious' review. Apparently that is the music of the 'common people', and we audiophiles are all grown-up, cerebral types, right ?

I dont expect anything to change, and I guess this just follows from my 'anti-Krall' rant a few weeks back, but I sometimes wonder if I'm getting impressions almost exclusively from folk who have never listened to anything 'heavier' than George Thorogood .....

What say you, AKers ? Am I just a nut standing on a wooden box in the park, reading from the bible of inane musical choices or do I have something resembling a point ? :D

You are way off base. I listen to everything from pipe organ to rap.
 
Good night nurse !

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
 
I'm an audiophile, and I listen to everything I like. Depending on my mood, that might be Van Halen, The Who, The Dead Kennedy's, Joy Division, Ray Charles, Stan Ridgway, Sergio Mendez, Fleetwood Mac, Genesis, The Cars, The Smiths, Suzanne Vega, Sade...I never know for sure what a night of music may bring!:music:
 
With the internet and iPod- I can listen to whatever genre, whenever I like.

By the way- my wife listens primarily to classical music on a little Memorex brand cd player she bought at Walmart. Does that make her a audiophile? She's an audio-filly, but doesn't know how to turn my stereo on and listen to the iPod, and more importantly, she doesn't want to know how. Since she listens primarily to classical music, tells me my rock music is too loud, that makes her a audiophile.
 
The holy trinity -

1. classical music, particularly large-scale orchestral and choral music in 16th century churches

2. jazz

3. classic rock - back in the 80s, we called in 'MoR'.

Am I the only one who longs for accurate reproduction of :

- Clarence Clemons' tenor sax

OH Hellz Yes!!! ...gives me goose bumps. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbirnz5LAk0

and don't forget Wayne Shorter. :thmbsp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-1oYJzVcNk

Actually I would love to get into some classical music if I could find some that did not sound like they were playing it with a stick up their arse. ...but I digress. :lmao:
 
Being an audiophile means you like sound - reproduced sound around here. Whatever sounds engage you. You get goose bumps from Van Halen (I have, back in the day), or Mr. Page and the Zep (live - 40 ft away), or Mel Martin (jazz), or Amazing Rhythm Aces (Country Fusion) - the list is endless. What's your point?

You want a music social club about what you like, or how to play it best, or what gear to play it on, or what ...
 
Having to endure another one of these threads...

Godspeed :blah:

Yet another "audiophile thread" leads me to say only one thing, Bacon!

Bacon, bacon, bacon, bacon, bacon, bacon! And eggs! And potatoes!

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Now back to your regular programming (Pandovski can you post that picture from "A Clockwork Orange" again?).
 
Yet another "audiophile thread" leads me to say only one thing, Bacon!

Bacon, bacon, bacon, bacon, bacon, bacon! And eggs! And potatoes!

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Now back to your regular programming (Pandovski can you post that picture from "A Clockwork Orange" again?).

You forgot the sausage! :D

Grilled+Sausage+with+P&O+2.jpg
 
I'm an "Attentive-phile"!

I don't own any super high end equipment (yet) or have any tubes (yet), but I am constantly listening to all kinds of genres and bands after getting a reasonable system with good soundstage. It's fun to go through your whole selection of music to reveal more details. It's even more amazing when you've heard songs on the radio in the past, and then re-hear them on a good setup and realize some of the "OK" songs are now some of your favorites: Sultans of Swing, Hall/Oates "She's Gone", lots from Elton John, many from ABBA, etc....

There are plenty of kids that like playing outside (music). Some kids come across a magnifying glass and cheap microscope and really start looking at what's really outside. All the different kinds of insects in trees/bushes or worms, snakes, and small critters in the grass and dirt. These kids don't have expensive 1000x microscopes or fancy binoculars, just a passion for exploration. They don't get the title of "scientist or archeologist", but they share the same drive and do with the best they can.

But neither does have a few books of Edgar Allen Poe in your small library collection make you a specialist in "macabre" literature (damn hipsters!). Actually, I think having Helter Skelter is the "new" book to have in young adults book collection.
 
That's what's cool about being an audiophile, you don't have to own expensive equipment, you just have to make the effort to get the most out of what you have.

I have less than $2k in my audio system, and it kicks ass. I have:

Pioneer VSK-1121-K as my preamp and DAC ( I paid $375 open box, but looked brand new from Amazon)
B&K EX442 Sonata amplifier (I paid $350 used)
DCM Time Window 3 speakers (I paid $225, then spent about $200 more on a resto, so $425 used)
Two Polk Audio subwoofers ($200 new for both)
One Velodyne CT-100 subwoofer ($100 used)
I stream from my computer using Pioneers free app (free)
 
Its kinda hard to rebel against "the Man" at 45. Mortgage, wife, ex-wife, kids, health, second mortgage... you stop caring about war, piece, love etc. You just hate rich people now and try to calm down and relax as much as you can.

You summed it up very well there. As much as I love my rebel years and I still relive them in my head I can never go back to them. I am in a different stage of life. Mid life!!
 
Back
Top Bottom