• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec Model 19 meets a Cornwall

Bob Mayben

New Member
I am building a couple of Model 19-ish Klipsch Cornwall speaker cabs. The components will be an Altec 811B horn with Eminence driver, an Altec 423 8Z 15' and a N1201A crossover. My question for the group is: I have treated every surface inside with acoustic material, do I cover the inside surface of the bass port at the bottom of the Klipsch design?
Klipsch-Cornwall-Altec-19-cabinet.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't know about the acoustic material but I have to ask if the 811B horn will fit within the depth of that cabinet.
The 811B horn alone (no driver) is 13.5" deep, and the Cornwall speaker cabinet depth is 13.5". Some creativity is in order to make it all work.
 
If the 811 is mounted to the front of the baffle(normal), it extends 9-1/2 inches into the cabinet to the mounting face of the driver flange.

There's room for an 802, 1/4 inch to spare.

The 3-1/4 inches of horn that protrudes in front of the baffle will make grills a challenge unless they're at least 3-1/4 inches deep.
 
I suppose the easiest options then would be to go grill-less or create a partial grill cover, leaving only the horn exposed.
 
Last edited:
SOME ANSWERS:
1. I had the cabinet builder "cheat" a little and so the front surface and the back surface mount on to the side and top panels flush, that is, are not recessed as the drawing shows. I just measured with the 811 in place, and I have 4.5 inches from the driver mounting plate to the back surface of the cabinet. The Eminence driver is 2" deep.

2, Grills, you have to be kidding. The actual reason I chose these components besides the Altec reputation, is I want to see that beautiful horn as I listen. Grills are not a concern.

3. I chose the 811b because that is what Altec used in the 19, the 844/9844, the VOTT, etc.
 
2, Grills, you have to be kidding. The actual reason I chose these components besides the Altec reputation, is I want to see that beautiful horn as I listen. Grills are not a concern.
You must not have kids, or grandkids / great grandkids roaming around your house who may show some interest in that 15" Altec woofer.
 
I used lots of horns in my projects including Altec 511s, 811s and 1005s, JBLs, EVs (including the superb SM-120A), Edgar saladbowls, McCauleys, PAudios, Klipsch Pro and Emilars and I think the 811 is pretty good.
 
I am building a couple of Model 19-ish Klipsch Cornwall speaker cabs. The components will be an Altec 811B horn with Eminence driver, an Altec 423 8Z 15' and a N1201A crossover. My question for the group is: I have treated every surface inside with acoustic material, do I cover the inside surface of the bass port at the bottom of the Klipsch design?

Which Eminence drivers are you using?

EDIT: never mind, I see it in your drawing...PSD-2002-8. Should be interesting

I have the 811B horns, they sound really nice with the 806A drivers but would like to experiment with others.

If the horns don't fit in the enclosures, why not mount them on top? They look very good exposed.
 
Last edited:
I used lots of horns in my projects including Altec 511s, 811s and 1005s, JBLs, EVs (including the superb SM-120A), Edgar saladbowls, McCauleys, PAudios, Klipsch Pro and Emilars and I think the 811 is pretty good.

@Tom Brennan Which is your favorite for this type of application?
 
Last edited:
Which Eminence drivers are you using?

EDIT: never mind, I see it in your drawing...PSD-2002-8. Should be interesting

I have the 811B horns, they sound really nice with the 806A drivers but would like to experiment with others.

If the horns don't fit in the enclosures, why not mount them on top? They look very good exposed.

I agree, and I love that V.O.T.T. look. But the horns will fit 4.5 inches to the back panel to spare, and the driver is only 2 inches deep.
I went with a recommendation of one of my customers that does outdoor sound. He said the Eminence drivers sound great with the 811's.
 
Back
Top Bottom