• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec Model 19 meets a Cornwall

I've been wondering this for a while, has anyone compared the Cornwall to the Model 19?

I owned both but not at the same time. I traded the Cornwalls for Altec 605s and the 19s sounded better than the 605s. But unlike other classic Klipsch speakers I owned but came to dislike I liked the Cornwalls and thought them to be pretty good speakers. But the 605s were better. I think there's a lively but smooth quality to big dog Altec midrange, most particularly to vocals, that Klipsch lacks.

I'd replaced the Cornwall mid horns with tractrix horns I bought from Klipsch Pro (they'd sell you horns and drivers at the time) which I thought made the sound cleaner and more open. Maybe it was Berenek's Law.

Cornwall tractrix mod.
E1C9AD3D-9E87-4C95-BE00-F9C34E5A4695.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Why aren't using Altec drivers and diaphragms Then you can use the model 19 crossover supplemented to insure a flat HF response.
 
The op's question was about insulation. If he has the components and a design, he should go with that. It will be a fun learning experience, more so than following a prescription.
 
Why aren't using Altec drivers and diaphragms Then you can use the model 19 crossover supplemented to insure a flat HF response.

I am using Altec 423 for the 15's, but I could not find a pair of 804-5-6 drivers when I was looking, and there was a lot of questions on forums like this about what sounded better, so I asked a customer / and friend what he uses, and thus came the Eminence 2002's.
 
Progress!

Stained.jpg
 
Very NICE!

I agree, with no damping in or near the port opening. Line the walls and/or see what they did in the Model 19.

Do you know the internal volume off hand, I could look it up but I have a feeling that you already know.
 
A couple members scratch built some Model 19 s, they talk about the Z-19 crossover that I
believe was the start of the Econowave crossover:
https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/i...del-19-speaker-building-project.471235/page-4

I think that the Z-19 XO was done over at the Lansing forum, I'll try to find it.
Edit: Here it is on AK: https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/z19-crossover.328530/page-1

Edit: Here at the Lansing site: https://www.audioheritage.org/vbull...-Altec-9844-8B&p=197971&viewfull=1#post197971

Edit: When I go to the Z-19 AK thread I am no longer logged in, something is not right and that makes it impossible to open the thumbnails and see the big pics.
 
Last edited:
Very NICE!

I agree, with no damping in or near the port opening. Line the walls and/or see what they did in the Model 19.

Do you know the internal volume off hand, I could look it up but I have a feeling that you already know.
It's a smidge over 8 cubic feet.
 
The thing is, I don’t think it matters what they did in the M19. The OP is not using the correct drivers for that. He has an MI woofer and Eminence HF driver.

I’m not saying that’s bad, just different than the Model 19. They look closer to an Altec 1202/1204 to me.
 
Yes, not the 19's. Room treatment and to a lesser degree, amplifier will have a significant impact on the sound.
 
Yes, not the 19's. Room treatment and to a lesser degree, amplifier will have a significant impact on the sound.
Romm is 12x12 treated with acoustic foam where possible. The "sound system" will be my console going to an Orban parametric E Q to shape when needed, then to a Hafler 120 watt amp.
Once I get them going, I have a friend in Nashville, with a Pioneer Hill Spectra Plus SC who is coming down to R T A the room.
 
Last edited:
The thing is, I don’t think it matters what they did in the M19. The OP is not using the correct drivers for that. He has an MI woofer and Eminence HF driver.

I’m not saying that’s bad, just different than the Model 19. They look closer to an Altec 1202/1204 to me.

Yes these parts are more 1204 than anything else. I didn't know at the time of purchase that any later edition 12" in a VOTT system was not equal to earlier iterations of same.
Lansing-reference-on-speaker-use-in-V-O-T.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom