• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec Model 19 or JBL 4333

Maybe dull and lifeless is a bit harsh, but I know just what he means, and have to agree to some extent. There are characteristic nulls in the system that can reduce clarity and make voices and such sound dull.

Note too I said <somewhat> dull and lifeless. I think it’s a good speaker and leagues ahead of such extraordinarily dull and lifeless speakers such as the constipated AR3 and Advent.
 
Last edited:
I should have only said <somewhat> tone deaf. :jump:

But really, there is an AKer somewhat local to me who swears that if I come hear his Altec 19s with his setup, I'll change my mind about them. I suppose I should take him up on that some day.
I don't know if he even posts any more.
 
It's probably worth noting that my L300s have 2235s in them rather than comparatively week-kneed 136A.
I had 2234s in my L200/300 clones, Walnut external horns with 2" drivers, and the 2405 slots on top!
 
At the cost of some sensitivity, but the cost is not linear across the band, and it reduces midrange clarity and increases tubbiness. My L200/300s have "AlNiCo 2235's" and if I had them redone again, I would have the rings left out. They are not necessary if you use a sub.

Remember that the 15" reproduces the majority of the vocal range fundamentals, even for ladies.
 
The difference between 2234 and 2235 is the mass ring that sits on top of the voice coil. It lowers the Fs at the cost of some sensitivity.
Yep, knew that.
I had a pair of 2234s and a pair of 2235s at the time. I had just bought a pair of 4341 and found the PO had replaced the original drivers with the 2234s (they did pro sound and apparently had them handy),
and I got some 2235s from a Lansing forum member in Canada to make them right. But as long as they were loose, I tried the 2235s in the L200s first,
and when I swapped them out, I found I preferred the 2234s in there.
 
At the cost of some sensitivity, but the cost is not linear across the band, and it reduces midrange clarity and increases tubbiness. My L200/300s have "AlNiCo 2235's" and if I had them redone again, I would have the rings left out. They are not necessary if you use a sub.

Remember that the 15" reproduces the majority of the vocal range fundamentals, even for ladies.
I have an extra pair of baskets out in the shop. I may have to build them and do a little A/B-ing.
Ideally, I would like to have a pair of 4343 or 4344, but it's pretty unlikely that I will find any that are even close to my price range.
 
I will say that Altec 288 and 802 drivers are very high resolution devices ( sporting a lush mid-range ) and that it borders on criminal to mask what they can deliver with lousy horns .

It's a shame that Zilch passed away since he & I were trading our findings back & force looking into the whole 811/511 ringing-horn bugaboo .

Here's one of his CSD waterfalls ( for an unmounted/ un-terminated 811b ) which displays the very definition of excessive ringing ( keep in mind that signals 10db down are half as loud to ones auditory senses ).
- All that energy starting at @ 1.8 milliseconds and continuing on past 5.5 ms is audible ringing ( & it'll only get worse with more drive signal ).

CSD_1_902-8B_811B_25db.jpg


Here's one of mine ( for an 802 on a no-name plastic horn ).

802_2_35480Fram_Sammi_Horn_a_Burst_CSD.PNG


It's decay is much quicker, more even across the range & cascades down to a lower db figure ( all in all, this combo is much better behaved ).

While these are really apples to oranges comparisons it shows the beginning of the work that's needed to quantify ( & reconcile ) the varying experiences people have with all this stuff.

For example, we never got to retest the ringing profile of Zilch's horn/driver combo to see how many db ( of ringing ) would get shaved off by the mounting of the combo to a baffle-board ( since most agree that it does make a difference ). Test#3 ( & on ) would be to quantify the effect of the various bell damping techniques.

If one equates ringing to a distortion figure a worthy goal would be to reduce ringing to 40db down ( getting there quickly & evenly ) since this would get it into the 1% THD range.

:)

PS: ( just a bit of background ) I've been a long term JBL Pro user since 1977 but prefer Altec HF drivers for critical home listening .
 
For me it's really a tough call, I like both. I think the Altec 19 is probably the better speaker, but it doesn't go as low, and I've always had issues with that 811 horn, no matter what it's in. The L300 goes lower and with enough authority to avoid a sub, but the bass can get a bit tubby.

Mine are L300 based, but Edgar salad bowl horns instead of the JBL horn/lens. Oh, and Tom's old 076's :).
 
Those 9862s are sweet - never heard or seen a pair. What do they sound like Joe?

I've owned 14s and 19s both. I didn't much care for the sound of the 19s - I was never able to achieve a good balance with them no matter what I tried with them for amplification, tube / SS, etc. OTOH, I'd still have my 14s if the ex didn't take them in the divorce.

Neither the 14s or the 19s will likely hold a candle to those 4350s. You seem to be the expert here - tell us what you think Joe.
I haven't used them in quite a long time but all recall is that the studio returned them for 4311's. You are right not nany speakers cab compete with 4350. But the 19 more than holds its own versus 4333. I feel for you losing the 14. My fiancé bought me a Simon Yorke Series 9 turntable .She's a keeper!!
 
Those 9862s are sweet - never heard or seen a pair. What do they sound like Joe?

I've owned 14s and 19s both. I didn't much care for the sound of the 19s - I was never able to achieve a good balance with them no matter what I tried with them for amplification, tube / SS, etc. OTOH, I'd still have my 14s if the ex didn't take them in the divorce.

Neither the 14s or the 19s will likely hold a candle to those 4350s. You seem to be the expert here - tell us what you thinkJoe
The 9862 has that vintage Altec sound they were returned by the studio I replaced with 4311. And you're right the 19 does not compare to the 4350 but more than holds its own with the 4333 which is basically a L300
 
I haven't used them in quite a long time but all recall is that the studio returned them for 4311's. You are right not nany speakers cab compete with 4350. But the 19 more than holds its own versus 4333. I feel for you losing the 14. My fiancé bought me a Simon Yorke Series 9 turntable .She's a keeper!!
Indeed. Here are the only Altecs I still have, pictured in my last home - 9846-8A. I bought them in 1992 or 1993 - I can't recall. They were flown in a church just outside of Little Rock. They upgraded the system and these came down. I recently re-capped the crossover networks and they sound simply glorious. Currently, I have an MC7300 connected to them but they don't get used very much. My fiance has been after me to fly them over the bass cabs of the XRT22s to get them into the family room. I don't know about that but I would certainly like to get them into rotation more often than they are at present.

I also have a spare set of NIB 411-8A squirreled away for them should I ever need 'em.
 

Attachments

  • Home Theater 2.jpg
    Home Theater 2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 82
Indeed. Here are the only Altecs I still have, pictured in my last home - 9846-8A. I bought them in 1992 or 1993 - I can't recall. They were flown in a church just outside of Little Rock. They upgraded the system and these came down. I recently re-capped the crossover networks and they sound simply glorious. Currently, I have an MC7300 connected to them but they don't get used very much. My fiance has been after me to fly them over the bass cabs of the XRT22s to get them into the family room. I don't know about that but I would certainly like to get them into rotation more often than they are at present.

I also have a spare set of NIB 411-8A squirreled away for them should I ever need 'em.
You have a incredible system . what turntable are you using
 
Indeed. Here are the only Altecs I still have, pictured in my last home - 9846-8A. I bought them in 1992 or 1993 - I can't recall. They were flown in a church just outside of Little Rock. They upgraded the system and these came down. I recently re-capped the crossover networks and they sound simply glorious. Currently, I have an MC7300 connected to them but they don't get used very much. My fiance has been after me to fly them over the bass cabs of the XRT22s to get them into the family room. I don't know about that but I would certainly like to get them into rotation more often than they are at present.

I also have a spare set of NIB 411-8A squirreled away for them should I ever need 'em.
If at all possible move them at least 2ft from the front wall toed in slightly. Those horns need space
 
Interesting thread and opinions, will follow along. I am in kinda the same boat, was debating selling my Altec A7s and adding 077s to my JBL L200Bs (or finding L300s / 4333s).
 
Interesting thread and opinions, will follow along. I am in kinda the same boat, was debating selling my Altec A7s and adding 077s to my JBL L200Bs (or finding L300s / 4333s).
Whatever sounds best with your associated equipment, room and music. I worked for jbl for 25 years outfitting recording studios but since they were sister companies l sold a bit of altecs. Heres a photo of my jbl and vot's in the background
 

Attachments

  • 2061329_eb.jpg
    2061329_eb.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 39
If at all possible move them at least 2ft from the front wall toed in slightly. Those horns need space

I'm curious how moving them away from the wall could possibly affect the horns. Toeing them in will naturally concentrate the on axis response of the horns on the listening area, but I've never heard of horns being wall-dependant in the slightest. (And that would certainly put a kink in all those horn-based systems that were soffit-mounted in recording studios worldwide, wouldn't it? :eek: :eek::eek::eek:)

GeeDeeEmm

1030405-dacda8e7634a2acd9aad8eea58566636.jpg
 
I'm curious how moving them away from the wall could possibly affect the horns. Toeing them in will naturally concentrate the on axis response of the horns on the listening area, but I've never heard of horns being wall-dependant in the slightest. (And that would certainly put a kink in all those horn-based systems that were soffit-mounted in recording studios worldwide, wouldn't it? :eek: :eek::eek::eek:)

GeeDeeEmm

1030405-dacda8e7634a2acd9aad8eea58566636.jpg
By looking at photo the proximity to both rear and side will definitely the resonance peaks of the horn.
 
Back
Top Bottom