• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec Model 19 or JBL 4333

I'm curious how moving them away from the wall could possibly affect the horns. Toeing them in will naturally concentrate the on axis response of the horns on the listening area, but I've never heard of horns being wall-dependant in the slightest. (And that would certainly put a kink in all those horn-based systems that were soffit-mounted in recording studios worldwide, wouldn't it? :eek: :eek::eek::eek:)

GeeDeeEmm

1030405-dacda8e7634a2acd9aad8eea58566636.jpg
Wall boundaries have a greater effect on all high frequency drivers even horns due to dispersion and wall refection
 
Wall boundaries have a greater effect on all high frequency drivers even horns due to dispersion and wall refection

Agreed. But not the walls behind them (excepting bi-polars, of course).

I think your fingers just hit the wrong keys, Joe. No big deal. I knew what you were getting at. :)

GeeDeeEmm
 
If at all possible move them at least 2ft from the front wall toed in slightly. Those horns need space
Thanks Joe. You must be on a phone. If you turn it sideways, you'll see my sig with all gear listed. TT is a Technics SL1300 Mk2 with a Dynavector DV10x5 cart.

That pic was taken in our last home. That room was pretty tight and not all that deep so that was the best compromise. Two homes before that one and they were almost 20ft from the listening position with about the same spacing and toe in. That worked well. I've never tried them out from the wall any more than 6".

In this home, I have the largest listening space I've ever had. Currently, I've got McIntosh line arrays (XRT22) in the sweet spot and the Altecs have been temporarily sidelined.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 53
I put that Altec 416 in a big MLTL box (15.5^ft) and I lost the 100hz peak of the Model 19 and gained a large amount of low bass. I should work out my measuring gear and test them but listening and tweaking is more fun.
BTW, I have 811's with the 802 and a Heil super tweeter, all mounted on sleds atop the enclosure. I don't get any ringing at the volumes I listen. I actually tried to make them ring and experimented with mass loading the horn, nada. It's probably something to do with the mounting on a baffle.
The OP can tell us if the JBL is the better speaker. I've owned a few studio monitors and they were all good.
 
That's quite the apparatus. The bungee cords holding what appears to be the crossover in place are a nice touch.

Yes, it’s been a work in progress the almost 20 years I’ve known Paul with frequent measuring and tweaking. Those are series crossovers and the horns are tractrix units laid out and built by Paul from reinforced foamcore. The system sounds like an electrost with big balls. Very smooth and coherent, large deep soundstage, first rate clarity and dynamics.
 
Between the L300 and the Altec 19s... given a LARGE room and proper amplification, amps they work well with and enough power... I would take the Altecs. Given a living room sized situation, even a fairly large one, it could go either way.... placement is so important. I have 19s and have listened to a number of L300s in different environments including retail showrooms. I have heard the 19s produce very deep, pant leg moving bass with the right placement, that coupled with the seemingly effortless enormous dynamic range makes them hard to beat in many situations on various types of music. In my opinion, with both speakers in a 'happy' environment... the L300 sounds a bit like the sound is squeezed in trying to get out compared to the 19s. The 4350s, that might be a different story as I have heard them be absolutely sweet in every way but do not have the general experience with them as with the 19s and L300s.
 
Thanks Joe. You must be on a phone. If you turn it sideways, you'll see my sig with all gear listed. TT is a Technics SL1300 Mk2 with a Dynavector DV10x5 cart.

That pic was taken in our last home. That room was pretty tight and not all that deep so that was the best compromise. Two homes before that one and they were almost 20ft from the listening position with about the same spacing and toe in. That worked well. I've never tried them out from the wall any more than 6".

In this home, I have the largest listening space I've ever had. Currently, I've got McIntosh line arrays (XRT22) in the sweet spot and the Altecs have been temporarily sidelined.
You're right using my phone. That mac speaker is impressive. I've found past mac speakers to be a bit on the bright side but I've never heard the one you have. I recently purchased my first non Lansing speakers. Tekton Double Impacts and Spatial Acoustics nice open baffle design. I do not have photos as they are in my Vegas home and l am in NY. Please visit there websites and give your opinion.
 
JBL Joe, just out of curiosity, what are the bass bins under your 8 cell horns on your VOTT set up? I can't quite figure out what they are...
 
Between the L300 and the Altec 19s... given a LARGE room and proper amplification, amps they work well with and enough power... I would take the Altecs. Given a living room sized situation, even a fairly large one, it could go either way.... placement is so important. I have 19s and have listened to a number of L300s in different environments including retail showrooms. I have heard the 19s produce very deep, pant leg moving bass with the right placement, that coupled with the seemingly effortless enormous dynamic range makes them hard to beat in many situations on various types of music. In my opinion, with both speakers in a 'happy' environment... the L300 sounds a bit like the sound is squeezed in trying to get out compared to the 19s. The 4350s, that might be a different story as I have heard them be absolutely sweet in every way but do not have the general experience with them as with the 19s and L300s.
I agree. Jbl made concessions when designing the L300 based on 4333 especially on the high frequency drivers. The 19 is more a true monitor
 
JBL Joe, just out of curiosity, what are the bass bins under your 8 cell horns on your VOTT set up? I can't quite figure out what they are...
I have not posted a photo of my vot. They are behind my 4350's. Can you explain what you are looking at in more detail. Anyway my vots are basically the way Altec built them. Hard to improve on their design IMHO
 
I found them. They look like A5s

vottcatt1945.10.jpg
Yes they 5's rescued from a movie theater in Brooklyn that was closing. Haven't used them in years. What you see in the photo of 4350 is only a small sample of my collection. Working for jbl for 25 years most speakers were free
 
Yes they 5's rescued from a movie theater in Brooklyn that was closing. Haven't used them in years. What you see in the photo of 4350 is only a small sample of my collection. Working for jbl for 25 years most speakers were free

That's a shame. Someone would undoubtedly love to run them regularly.

I run Simplex W's in my main rig with 288Bs/1005B tar filleds up top. I sandwich a pair of model 19s in between the horn and the bass bin for a little extra top and bottom end. Might look funny, but works like a charm...

39519618190_0c4ba37882_z.jpg
[url=https://flic.kr/p/23ddnDq]Altec stack by Analog Addict, on Flickr[/URL]
 
Back
Top Bottom