• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Amp for my Cornwalls

Ok, I don't sit and listen at 2 o'clock. That is really loud. Sometimes when working around the house while rockin out, I'd get the volume up to that level. Sitting in my listening position, maybe 10 or 11 o'clock. Sorry I didn't clarify. I really do like the sound of the amp, it just feels slightly underpowered for those speakers. I don't think there's anything wrong with the speakers or the amp. I do wonder if a subwoofer would help, though I don't really have the space for one in this listening area. I did add a subwoofer to my other listening area where I'm running Heresy's. That was definitely a game changer. Super happy with my Heresy's with a sub. I also wonder if tube rolling would give me a little more punch to the base with my Glow Amp.
 
Last edited:
again, I run 11 WPC and NEVER feel underpowered so I think something may be going on here. Cornwalls are crazy efficient. I ran them once with a 3 wpc boutique amp and it was loud enough for sure.

And I've run Heresy's and they are just not in the same ball park as the Cornwalls. Got rid of them PDQ...a sub probably would have helped? but I just didn't want to bother.

bottom line a decent, well made 10 wpc amp (I prefer tubes with the Cornwalls after much testing) should absolutely suffice
 
see if you can borrow a vintage tube amp from someone. A Scott a Fisher a Mcintosh a Sherwood. All are good units and should match well with the Cornwalls. If you feel you still don't have enough power? I wonder about the Speakers
 
Ok, I don't sit and listen at 2 o'clock. That is really loud. Sometimes when working around the house while rockin out, I'd get the volume up to that level. Sitting in my listening position, maybe 10 or 11 o'clock. Sorry I didn't clarify. I really do like the sound of the amp, it just feels slightly underpowered for those speakers. I don't think there's anything wrong with the speakers or the amp. I do wonder if a subwoofer would help, though I don't really have the space for one in this listening area. I did add a subwoofer to my other listening area where I'm running Heresy's. That was definitely a game changer. Super happy with my Heresy's with a sub. I also wonder if tube rolling would give me a little more punch to the base with my Glow Amp.
I'm one who believes that a high-quality powered subwoofer can improve the overall sound in a system no matter what speakers you're using. It adds more presence and dynamics to the sound. In other words, it seems to make your speakers and the resulting soundstage sound bigger than they are, even at lower listening levels. It also takes some strain off of your amp.
 
I've had a bunch of configs with subwoofers, good subwoofers, but right now I run my cornwalls straight and I don't feel I lack in bass or soundstage in any regard, and don'f feel I would benefit from lowering the load on the amp

I'm no golden ear, but I have had many people comment on how good my config sounds. Low watt, cornwalls and no sub
 
Were you using a preamp into the Glow?
Initially, I used it as designed: as an integrated amp. One input was used by my DAC, a Schiit Modi, the other was with my turntable and a TCC-750 phono pre. Presently, I’m using it with a Schiit Saga V1 pre and it drives the mid and tweeter horns of my speakers as a power amp, with the attenuator pinned and volume control managed by the preamp; an Emotiva Mini-X A100 drives the woofers.
 
I've had a bunch of configs with subwoofers, good subwoofers, but right now I run my cornwalls straight and I don't feel I lack in bass or soundstage in any regard, and don'f feel I would benefit from lowering the load on the amp

I'm no golden ear, but I have had many people comment on how good my config sounds. Low watt, cornwalls and no sub
OK. :smoke:
 
IMG_6924.jpegI started swapping gear around. Hooked the Cornwalls up to the “Devils amp” Sansui AU-666. Not perfect but so much more base. Can’t get the volume passed 9 o’clock or it’ll knock the house down. So I’ll need to search for a tube amp that has that base punch that I was missing with the Glow Amp 2.
 
Initially, I used it as designed: as an integrated amp. One input was used by my DAC, a Schiit Modi, the other was with my turntable and a TCC-750 phono pre. Presently, I’m using it with a Schiit Saga V1 pre and it drives the mid and tweeter horns of my speakers as a power amp, with the attenuator pinned and volume control managed by the preamp; an Emotiva Mini-X A100 drives the woofers.

Okay, thanks I didn't remember the details. I asked because the Glow Two has a lower than normal input sensitivity (1.1V) for an integrated. In some systems it might benefit from an active gain stage preamp.
 
I have a pair of stock 80s CWs and for the last month I have been listening to a pair of LSIs with an ALK crossover, I do believe the ALK Universal makes them a little harder to drive. A 15 watt Ampex 6973 p/p amplifier drove the LSIs fine at (and above) my listening levels. I never tried the Ampex with the stock CWs, but use a 7? watt KT88 SET.
 
Okay, thanks I didn't remember the details. I asked because the Glow Two has a lower than normal input sensitivity (1.1V) for an integrated. In some systems it might benefit from an active gain stage preamp.
It doesn’t get much gain from my preamp, but my Dayton Audio DSP 408 does add a bit to the signal.
 
Only if you high pass the main amp, many don't.
That's why I mentioned "a high-quality subwoofer". I should have added that the subwoofer should also be designed for 2-channel use and not primarily for home theater like the majority. :thumbsup:
 
The newer class D amps have almost unmeasurable distortion and high damping factors that allow them to really control the woofers. I'm running a VTV on my LSI's and the difference in bass between that and the previous AB amp was absolutely noticeable. I wasn't expecting or even thinking about the bass when I changed amps but it was hard to miss. The mids are crystal clear and highs absolutely non fatiguing. I dismissed class D based on older reviews and previous listening experiences but the new ones are absolutely amazing.
 
That's why I mentioned "a high-quality subwoofer". I should have added that the subwoofer should also be designed for 2-channel use and not primarily for home theater like the majority. :thumbsup:
A good sub will excel in both. If it accurately reproduces bass, the sub doesn't care if it's a movie sound track or a nice 2 channel rig.
 
I went through alot of speakers/configs before I arrived at my current Cornwall/Sansui BA-202 which I have had for a # of years. I didn't know or expect the Sansui to drive the CW's so ably. I am not smart enough to technically compare 11 wpc for the Sansui with higher watt units both tube and/or SS but NO QUESTION it has the oomph necessary to get the most out of the CW's at any volume. It's a happy combo that I lucked upon
 
A good sub will excel in both. If it accurately reproduces bass, the sub doesn't care if it's a movie sound track or a nice 2 channel rig.
Not in my experience. Some manufacturers offer subwoofers for each category. The ones that are designed for both 2-channel and home theater have high level inputs while the ones that are for home theater only don't. It does make a difference in high quality 2-channel systems.

 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom