• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Amp for Yamaha NS-1000m

I want to ask your opinions about following solutions:
Integrated:
Sansui AU-11000A


And also pioneer spec-1+spec-2?

Any of those especially suitable for NS-1000m speakers?

best regards, laika-

I own/have owned and use the Pioneer SPEC amps as well as the Sansui AU-11000A with NS-1000M's and they both sound wonderful.
 
Any common themes among the very best ones that match with the NS-1000 family?

What critical specs--what is it about your favorite amp that stands out? Or is it some indescribable quality that just clicks?

(1) lowest distortion in HF, square waves via superhigh bandwidth (200kHz Yamahas, 400kHz Sansui AU-X1) or IM/TIM?

(2) fast amp (slew rate >200 V/us) (Kenwoods' top amps) or quick rise time 18-wheeler locomotive 7us JBL Urei 6290 with low TIM?

(3) Voltage controlled/current-controlled output (Luxman/McIntosh MC275)

(4) Yamaha + Yamaha (made for each other, impedance match)

(5) ...

Not convinced about MosFET-VFET, E-transformer-toroids, class A class D, NF/complex-no NF/simple sand-tube etc etc. is necessarily better; need a well-implemented example, TOTL, & in perfectly working order of various types for a meaningful shootout...

Thoughts? Agree or nonsense? :scratch2:

...Or is it all about the Pre? :dunno:

Heavy preamps that get hotter sound better...
 
Stromberg-Carlson ASR-110 SE amp running 1958 RCA 6V6GTAs with double-D bottom getters, RCA blackplate 7199s & a Mullard rectifier. Probably around 5 wpc, but it'll rock the room pretty good. :music: The preamp is my Sir_Byrd rebuilt Marantz 1060 (for now), which surprised me at how well it matches up, much better than any other SS pre I've tried with tubes, and the tuner is a Fisher KM-60 (tubed). I've been ready to try some vinyl for awhile (Pioneer PL-570 w/AT12S Shibata cart & stylus), but the FM is particularly good today, as far as what they're playing, so I'll wait awhile. :smoke:
 
Any common themes among the very best ones that match with the NS-1000 family?

What critical specs--what is it about your favorite amp that stands out? Or is it some indescribable quality that just clicks?
For me the gear has to be free of harsh or grain and has to be well extended. I've found the NS-1000Ms are like electrostatics, you really hear what's downstream. I've used both fast and slower amps, both gave beautiful performances. The funniest thing for me was if an amp rolls off in the deep bass I really, really hear that on the NS-1000Ms where I don't seem to notice it on other speakers.


Not convinced about MosFET-VFET, E-transformer-toroids, class A class D, NF/complex-no NF/simple sand-tube etc etc. is necessarily better; need a well-implemented example, TOTL, & in perfectly working order of various types for a meaningful shootout...

Thoughts? Agree or nonsense? :scratch2:

...Or is it all about the Pre? :dunno:

Heavy preamps that get hotter sound better...
I haven't heard a Class D amp in years so I can't comment there.
SS Class AB and A, good experiences here from several vintage and modern pieces. Love the MX-2000 with the pre I heard it with. Except for Rotel, not my cuppa.
I had a chance to hear a custom tube preamp and loved the sound, but the bass was missing in action.
 
For e-stats the best is current controlled Atma-Sphere furnace monos. But that's not often mentioned in the scrounge/vintage/DIY ethos around here in AK land.

Have not yet heard Mc or Accuphase on the blueish-purple Be drivers yet. Well ok the colorful sheen is actually refraction from the 5 micron coating... :scratch2:

At an AK event someone was nice enough to bring that 500wpc Yamaha class D amp with some modern inverted dome 2 way monitors. Sweet but no real reference to compare it.

Aren't some sub plate amps Class D now? You might have heard them...
 
I've found the NS-1000Ms are like electrostatics, you really hear what's downstream.

Yes indeed. Sadly, I have a pair of ESL-57's that aren't getting reconditioned because of my NS-1000M's.

The funniest thing for me was if an amp rolls off in the deep bass I really, really hear that on the NS-1000Ms where I don't seem to notice it on other speakers.

Yes, they're a little shy in the bottom octave but for me I don't notice it because the bass that's there is solid and deep and more than adequate with the right amp driving them, like the B-2 of course; true synergy in my listening space. :tresbon: :D
 
Y
Yes, they're a little shy in the bottom octave but for me I don't notice it because the bass that's there is solid and deep and more than adequate with the right amp driving them, like the B-2 of course; true synergy in my listening space. :tresbon: :D
Oh no that wasn't what I was implying, I get good bass from them, I just mean that if an amp rolls off on the bottom octave, I can hear that right away where on other speaker that are ported, they tend to roll off above that point so we never know it. The NS-1000Ms are a few dB shy in the bass department but in a treated room (2 and 3" thick auralex) the mids and treble flattens with the bass to give a very pleasing balance in my situation, I can hear the pulsating rumbles and lowest notes in music and movies, they clearly go deeper than the 12" sub I used to run. I brought it out one day when a friend was over and the sub retired in less than 30 seconds, it just couldn't go as deep. I had a musical fidelity amp running the NS-1000Ms and it was muddied and rolled off at what sounds like 40Hz. I tried an older Kenwood amp and this particular amp just didn't work well at all, really bad and created a bump in the bass, a sign that there is likely a high pass sub sonic filter in the amp. Used a Rega integrate, all around really nice, Bryston, great bass but a bit to bright. An MX-2000 cleaned right up and produced deeper bass extension and didn't hit an Achilles heel on low bass lines. Other than the tube amp a friend build, my favorite pre was DC coupled SS and could make great ultra lows.

Overall, I find the room has a profound effect on the final presentation and bass vs highs balance. It's make or break. A while back I used them in an almost square room with no panel treatment, it was horrible.
 
Last edited:
Overall, I find the room has a profound effect on the final presentation and bass vs highs balance. It's make or break. A while back I used them in an almost square room with no panel treatment, it was horrible.

Agreed, the couch and recliner along with thick wool rug suck up most of the room refection in this old living room and the new windows help too in that there's zero window glass resonance like with the originals; very annoying. :yes: :D
 
Back
Top Bottom