• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Amp/Receiver for B&W Matrix 803

Last time I checked we are on a forum for Vintage Audio right? Recap? Thats like $100 or less. I get what your saying but its not accurate... This gear can be tuned up and repaired over and over and over for dirt cheap.. Some of the new stuff tanks in value as soon as you buy it, I love Schiit gear but you can have killer sound without spending thousands.

:thumbsup:

Although I don't agree that this forum (Speakers) or AK is just for "Vintage Audio".

New or old equipment? The answer depends on the needs of each situation.
 
Last edited:
Well, I picked up the speakers today and have good news and bad news. The good news is they are gorgeous and seem to be in good cosmetic shape. The bad news is that the woofer in one of them is making a buzzing/rattling noise. I associate that with a blown speaker. I tried to get a video of it here.

I've also attached photos of the speaker and the woofer pulled from the cabinet. I didn't want to do more than unscrew it and take some photos since I don't know what I'm doing.

I tried swapping speaker wire from left to right speaker and it was still present, which I believe rules out a speaker wire or receiver issue.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing? Happy to take it to a speaker repair place if that's my next step. Also speak up if this belongs as its own thread. I figured some folks are following along so it might be useful to keep it altogether.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20261004_040417942.jpg
    PXL_20261004_040417942.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20261003_204834530.jpg
    PXL_20261003_204834530.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20261004_035833672.jpg
    PXL_20261004_035833672.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20261004_035936095.jpg
    PXL_20261004_035936095.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20261004_035859685.jpg
    PXL_20261004_035859685.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20261004_035845884.jpg
    PXL_20261004_035845884.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20261004_035847730.jpg
    PXL_20261004_035847730.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20261004_035919847.jpg
    PXL_20261004_035919847.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20261004_035925374.jpg
    PXL_20261004_035925374.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 18
:thumbsup:

Although I don't agree that this forum (Speakers) or AK is just for "Vintage Audio".

New or old equipment? The answer depends on the needs of each situation.
The forum is NOT only for vintage equipment: take a look at the home page, there are sub forums for DACs, Guitar Amps, Home Theater, Tube Equipment... anything and everything audio not just tired old unreliable vintage equipment. I have a mix of both old and new and enjoy reading about all of it.
 
They are 803s (photo of rear attached).

Some of this is repeated from a dedicated thread I made on the rattle issue, but for those following here:

I did a deep dive with AI this morning. I took the woofer out, pressed the cone, and discovered it makes a scratching noise only when pressing on the side closest to where the spider is wired. Here's a video of me pressing that side first 3-4 times and you can hear a slight scratching, then I press the other side 3 times and it's silent, then I press the side that causes scratching once more and you hear another scratch. Ignore my poorly timed sniffle which in this context creates a confusing noise.
The AI gods says I need to tell a repair shop that I have "voice coil rub on a B&W Matrix 803 woofer." It said they will most likely recone it, or could possibly recenter it but that's less likely.

If any of this sounds like bad advice, let me know. Otherwise, it sounds like I have my solution: find a shop that can do this repair, or (less likely) find a replacement woofer (part #ZZ8508)
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20261004_024701566.jpg
    PXL_20261004_024701566.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 6
The forum is NOT only for vintage equipment: take a look at the home page, there are sub forums for DACs, Guitar Amps, Home Theater, Tube Equipment... anything and everything audio not just tired old unreliable vintage equipment. I have a mix of both old and new and enjoy reading about all of it.

Why quote me, wouldn't quoting the member that posted it make more sense? :dunno:
 
find a shop that can do this repair
Don't know what may be local to you, but Speaker Works in Tulsa is known to do good work. You could call them to get an estimate.
 
If you elect to use basic power amp, a used Parasound would be up to the task. EBay is your friend .. I have enjoyed the extra headroom from a pair of Outlaw Audio monoblocks which occasionally go on sale ..
 
BTW I think those are 804s, not 803s.

Bass drivers do come up infrequently on the ‘bay.
Well, now I’m stumped. According to the B&W brochure, 803s have 2 bass drivers, 804s have one, as shown in your pic.

And I know what 805s look like, I have 3 of them.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8449.jpeg
    IMG_8449.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 3
:thumbsup:

Although I don't agree that this forum (Speakers) or AK is just for "Vintage Audio".

New or old equipment? The answer depends on the needs of each situation.
Yes while it caters to other topics as well, As a whole though AK is widely known as the main vintage audio forum of the internet.

The forum is NOT only for vintage equipment: take a look at the home page, there are sub forums for DACs, Guitar Amps, Home Theater, Tube Equipment... anything and everything audio not just tired old unreliable vintage equipment. I have a mix of both old and new and enjoy reading about all of it.
Not sure why you think older gear is so unreliable? I have a room behind me with close to 40 pieces of older equipment, Some rebuilt and some completely fine and original.
The stuff doesnt just fall apart, Most of the newer stuff cant even be repaired and wont be here in 50 years.

I do like some modern newer stuff but the older stuff can also be great and isnt as unreliable as you think.
If something goes wrong your usually just a few dollars and a forum post away from help.

Anyway im not helping the topic at hand, carry on!
 
Last edited:
Yes while it caters to other topics as well, As a whole though AK is widely known as the main vintage audio forum of the internet.


Not sure why you think older gear is so unreliable? I have a room behind me with close to 40 pieces of older equipment, Some rebuilt and some completely fine and original.
The stuff doesnt just fall apart, Most of the newer stuff cant even be repaired and wont be here in 50 years.

I do like some modern newer stuff but the older stuff can also be great and isnt as unreliable as you think.
If something goes wrong your usually just a few dollars and a forum post away from help.

Anyway im not helping the topic at hand, carry on!
I sold almost all my vintage equipment, I spent too much time tinkering with the cantankerous stuff (volume/balance pot issues, etc) to enjoy listening to music.
 
the older stuff can also be great and isnt as unreliable as you think.
If something goes wrong your usually just a few dollars and a forum post away from help.
Many don't have the knowledge, ability or even the desire to do anything beyond flipping the power switch.
 
Back
Top Bottom