• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Amp repair shops in Wisconsin

Register to hide this ad
There's Sound center on port washington road near milwaukee, and Cranky Uncle Trotsky's Vintage Stereo Repair on the east side. His slogan is "Dont Bring Me any of that modern crap!" for tube stuff, theres Tritium Electronics in West Allis.
 
Madison

I am located by Madison, but a trip to Milwaukee is not a big deal. Not to impressed with Sound Classic in Rockford, IL.:no:

I have a SAE, Soundcraftsmen and Haffler amps that need some TLC.

Thanks for the advice on Sound Center and Cranky Uncle Troskeys. :yes:
 
Interesting, I have had excellent luck with soundsclassic. He repaired a very difficult to fix piece of equipment for me.
 
I am located by Madison, but a trip to Milwaukee is not a big deal. Not to impressed with Sound Classic in Rockford, IL.:no:

They do quite good work. They can have a less-than-pleasant demeanor at times. That can be a deal-breaker for some.

Stay away from the place on Park St. (if they're still there) and the north end of the ithsmus (Brunner, and they are still repairing TVs) . I think all their decent techs are long gone.
 
Last edited:
Soundclassic

Interesting, I have had excellent luck with soundsclassic. He repaired a very difficult to fix piece of equipment for me.

I was not to thrilled with their overall work. When you tell me it plays louder, that's a good sign, but not a comprehensive test. Not only that, they did not even attempt to blow out the dust from inside the unit. Just replace the defective caps and away it goes. I must admit, it works great, but I was expecting more.

I must be spoiled by my old amp shop in California. Cleaned, repaired and tested w/ output readings. These guys would clean all the pots, lights, whatever. When you got it, it was nice.
 
I would suggest Okauchee Electronics in Okauchee, WI. No affiliation.
He has done a lot of work for me and many other audio folks around here and is very knowledgeable and reasonably priced.
Dale is the owner and tech.
Tell him Fred recommended you - give him a call and tell him your issues.
PM me for his number.
 
I would steer way clear of sound classics and dale of okauchee. Sounds classic is a complete ass known tell tell people their item is junk and sell them something of theirs and turn around repair the junk unit and resell it. As far as Dale he is a crook plain and simple I took a receiver there by recommendation after he fixed it was worse took it to mark the fixer stuff dale invoiced wasn't even changed I paid good money for a bias adjustment. I had at the same time recommended him to two buddies he still has one of their amps and will not return their call, the other guy had two marantz receivers up there for a year, He never could get an answer or return call he surprised him one day and got his stuff in complete disrepair he had butchered them up horribly. He also owes me speaker grills as he used mine for a template to make some for the pair he was selling mine went on the speakers and sold and that's the last of that. I am disabled so I quit calling after about 9 months of no answer or return calls. So I paid him 200 bucks for nothing, I decided best way is to let karma get him and spread the word to stay away. WARNING DANGER WILL ROBINSON.... Oh by the the friend with marantzs had to parts one out and it cost him triple what it would have cost if he hasn't let Dale mess with it. He knew what was wrong with them but poor eyesight and shaky hands prevented him from doing the repair himself, so I lead my friends astray that burns me more than what he did to me. He should be out of business.

PS Mark the Fixer is the master he made it good as new. Just remembered my friend Stinz on here found an amazing tech in Madison he lives there as well pm him tell him I told you too he will set you up. Next time I am in Mad town to see Stinz maybe we could meet up and hit a record store.
 
Last edited:
Sound Classic-Video Lab

Sound Classic and Video Lab are one in the same I think. Or next door to each other anyways.
 
Same place. The name "Video Lab" is on the sign, and "Sound Classic" is their internet business. Need a photo? I can swing past on my way to/from work. When they started out in the '70s the name was "Audio Lab" and they were fairly respectable. As I mentioned, they can rub against the grain, but can also do good service work.

This is only a history lesson, and not a recommendation nor condemnation. I do all my own work so it doesn't affect me either way.
 
Good techs are hard to find

It seems good techs and shops are hard to find. :sigh: The place I used to go to in Redwood City, CA was great. My old SAE blew one of the caps and they cleaned all the puke from the caps, chassis and inside and outside of the cabinet. They installed higher quality caps and tweaked it a bit. It was rated for 200W per channel and tested out just north of 220W per channel. Works like a charm and is still a beast 15 years later.

I would like to find a shop and tech that does work like that here. :yes:
 
Okauchee seems to be hit or miss for me. He has done countless tuner alignments for me, often same day. However, he has had a receiver of mine for almost 8 months with no contact as to status. I ended up driving a ways to go pick it up unfixed. Seems best is to contact someone on this board. The closest I know of is avionic, he's in iowa somewhere.
 
Just to add to the size of the sample group, I've use Sound Classic in Rockford a couple of times. I bought my Sunfire amp from them, and they gave me good value on a couple of items I traded. The amp went on the fritz a year or two later, and after taking it to someone local who really screwed the pooch, I sent it back to Sound Classic, where they fixed it up very well, documenting what the other guy had done wrong, and now it performs better than new (at least based on the power meter).
I also used them to rehab my Revox A77. They did a nice job, but it took them over 6 months. In fairness, it was pretty messed up when I took it to them, but that was still a very long time.
 
Forgot to mention - there's a guy in Antioch, Illinois with a shop called called Track One Vintage Stereo. It's a used record store and vintage audio shop. I've gone to him for records but have no experience with his repair business. I just know that he does that kind of work. Maybe worth looking into.
 
And this is why I'm learning to repair my own crap. Granted, it's a work in progress, but so far, I'm batting 6 for 6 on complete rebuilds. Wonder what that would have cost me had I taken it somewhere local?

Dale in Okauchee repaired my Pioneer receiver 2x, but he's a fix what's broken guy which means you'll always be back with a vintage piece. He's why I decided to learn for myself so I probably owe him a debt of gratitude. There is a place in Waukesha on Sunset that claims to be an authorized Mac repair center. Never took anything there but picked up a part or two. There is also a guy in a little repair shop on like 60th and National in West Allis (Electromania) He is a former military guy (electronics) who seems to know his stuff. Has tight hours but repaired a couple boards on a RPT television for me. Works on audio too - might be worth a try. His name is Dennis (no affiliation)
http://www.electromania.com/
 
Audio Ventures in Waukesha. These guys are McIntosh experts, specializing in it but will repair other gear as well. They repaired my Boston Acoustics sub and it's still kickin'. Now, they can be a little snobish when it comes to McIntosh gear, but they're good. Bill owns the place. I bought my MC2100 & C26 there. Gear works flawlessly.

Audio Ventures
W24670 Sunset Dr.
Waukesha, WI 53189
www.audioventures.com
262-896-9000

S.J.
 
Just to add to the size of the sample group, I've use Sound Classic in Rockford a couple of times. I bought my Sunfire amp from them, and they gave me good value on a couple of items I traded. The amp went on the fritz a year or two later, and after taking it to someone local who really screwed the pooch, I sent it back to Sound Classic, where they fixed it up very well, documenting what the other guy had done wrong, and now it performs better than new (at least based on the power meter).
I also used them to rehab my Revox A77. They did a nice job, but it took them over 6 months. In fairness, it was pretty messed up when I took it to them, but that was still a very long time.

I would say their internet and send in business are probably okay but face to face forget it total rude jerk ninety percent of the time. I went one time reluctantly looking for parts for a turntable that I couldn't find anywhere. He was standing at the door unloading a ton of vintage equipment from a truck that he had bought from a closed store as I had to wait while him and the truck driver yapped to get in with my walker . He finally looked at me and do you need something very rudely told him what I needed. I have them on a parts table but I am not going to go digging for them for that measly price I would get ask her and pointed to the counter the lady I assume is his wife as she is always there and just as rude waits until I try to weave my walker through the maze of equipment laying everywhere and get up to the counter. She then says if he ain't doing why in hell would you think I would? We don't have time for that piddly stuff no money to be made doing that crap. She turned and walked away well it took me a minute to get turned around to get out as I was fuming but bit my tongue, she looked back at me and said didn't you hear me it ain't happening buddy.. Then it was enough I said wow what a B!7{H then she told me to leave or she would get her husband to throw me out really okay whatever. So I will never darken their door ever again, I don't care if he is giving all Mcintosh gear away to anyone who comes in with a walker that's ridiculous. He literally told my buddy his 9090 was totally fried my friend then was told he would take the 50 bucks he charges then at least to look at stuff off another 9090 he had there for 850 and would keep his for trade and give him ten more off. My buddy said I will be right there. The guy had the new one on the counter waiting my buddy said no I wan't mine back as he knew it wasn't totally fried as he looked inside the guy there said the boards were black. He told my buddy a deal is a deal my bud said I never said I was doing that the guy said well you are a dumbass if you don't. My bud said well I am a dumbass then, give me my 9090 he had to go gather up all the parts put them in a box opened the door and threw it on the ground and told my buddy get the hell out of my store you f-ing liar... My bud said when did I lie he said you said I will be right in to me that means you wanted the deal okay really how does that mean we have a deal. He came to my house beat red his blood pressure was through the roof I had not known he had taken it in there or I would have stopped him. When it was audiolab it was great but he started pulling this kinda of stuff and the partner left and took the name with him not sure where he is now but I have seen him post in other blogs back in the 90s about how much the guy is a jerk. Hometown boy here live about 6 miles from the store.
 
Back
Top Bottom