• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

an old audiophile friend had spun a last record

gogofast

Addicted Member
i met this old guy maybe 4 years ago at a music store. he was a widower living only with his old dog. i was looking for some jazz records to buy, and he was surprised that a younger person was interested in records. we had a long conversation, and i explained to him about this hobby and that many people still enjoy records.

we became friends and i visited his house once in a while. he was a serious audiophile. for his entire system, according to his words, he had spent $200,000. i believed him when i saw a pair of $50,000 avantgarde speakers in his living room. i fixed some of his older gear from the 50's and 60's such as scott and fisher receivers for a beer or two. i recapped and matched tubes for him. he just had a lot of sentimental values for those pieces even though he had much better equipments...like mark levinson and some european stuff i wasn't really familiar with. he had hundreds of blue-note original records. i never asked him to sell those records to me, because i knew he still enjoyed them.

anyways, long story short - i haven't seen him in about a year, and recently tried to call him to see if he was up for a beer or two. the number was disconnected. so, i drove to his house a few days ago, and saw the house was up for sale. a neighbor told me that he passed away, and that his daughter sold the furniture and cleared a lot of "junks". it was really sad to hear this, and also hope what she meant by "junks" is not the gear and records this guy cherished.
 
Register to hide this ad
Sad to hear that. Sounds like he had lived a wonderful life. Hope his family was there for him when he passed.
 
The saddest thing would have been if you had never met him. I hope there is someone like you to remember me when I check out.

Well done - - -
 
You gave an old man, seemingly all alone except for his dog, something that is worth more than anything you did fixing up his stuff. You gave him friendship. And companionship. Maybe for the last time in his life. Feel really good about that.
 
I would have asked what he did with the records and the gear, but that's just me. Yep, I would have even called his daughter if I could contact her.
 
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend gogo. I'm positive that he treasured those times you and he spent together. I hope his four legged friend found a good home.
 
Great story, OP. I sometimes wonder how may older guys or gals are living alone with a dog or cat and music and/or TV and that's it.

I am sure he was glad you became his friend, and enjoyed talking with you. What Record Store in Seattle did you meet him at?
 
I'm certain that having someone to share his passion for audio meant a lot to him. Thank you for sharing a touching story.
 
Great story, OP. I sometimes wonder how may older guys or gals are living alone with a dog or cat and music and/or TV and that's it.

I am sure he was glad you became his friend, and enjoyed talking with you. What Record Store in Seattle did you meet him at?
it was at crossroads in bellevue. there used to be number of stores that sold records. most of 'em are gone now, but the silver platter and 1/2 price book store still sell them.



thank you all for nice words. i was just sad, but after reading all of your comments, i agree that we shared some good times listening to music and talking about the gear. it was weird seeing empty place where i vividly remember what amps and speakers sat there.
 
How wonderful that you had the good fortune to cross each others paths and enjoy each others company.
 
it was at crossroads in bellevue. there used to be number of stores that sold records. most of 'em are gone now, but the silver platter and 1/2 price book store still sell them.



thank you all for nice words. i was just sad, but after reading all of your comments, i agree that we shared some good times listening to music and talking about the gear. it was weird seeing empty place where i vividly remember what amps and speakers sat there.

My wife and I go to Crossroads every time we go up there. Last time was kind of a disappointment. I used to find interesting CD's at Silverplatters. I'll still go there, it's habit. I'll think of this story next time I'm there.
 
My wife and I go to Crossroads every time we go up there. Last time was kind of a disappointment. I used to find interesting CD's at Silverplatters. I'll still go there, it's habit. I'll think of this story next time I'm there.

thanks art,
i can't remember the name, but there used to be a record store selling just records with a lot of 45's as well. that was years and years ago, but they used to have all kinds of weird singles and stuffs you can't find anywhere else.
 
You got to know him as a friend so that's Ok by me. :thmbsp:

The saddest thing would have been if you had never met him. I hope there is someone like you to remember me when I check out.

Well done - - -

You gave an old man, seemingly all alone except for his dog, something that is worth more than anything you did fixing up his stuff. You gave him friendship. And companionship. Maybe for the last time in his life. Feel really good about that.

I'm certain that having someone to share his passion for audio meant a lot to him. Thank you for sharing a touching story.

How wonderful that you had the good fortune to cross each others paths and enjoy each others company.

All so true...

+1000
 
I am glad you were able to share friendship with him in his last years. It may well have brought him great joy to share those times with you.

Where does your quote about pain being inevitable. It is quite remarkable that the last word is joy. I showed that to my wife and she wants to know who said that.
 
Great story! Sorry for you lost a new friend but I'm sure you made his lonely life much more livable with something to look forward to by having you visit. That's awesome!
 
The music was not the records that you heard but the time you spent together. This is something that you will treasure far more than any vinyl for years to come. :music:
 
once again, thanks guys.

I am glad you were able to share friendship with him in his last years. It may well have brought him great joy to share those times with you.

Where does your quote about pain being inevitable. It is quite remarkable that the last word is joy. I showed that to my wife and she wants to know who said that.

here's a link that explains in short page. :thmbsp:
http://www.internetmonk.com/archive/choose-joy
 
Back
Top Bottom