• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

And the winner is ...............................

MMinMN

New Member
OK folks, which sansui did you prefer the sound of and by how much over its brethren.
The series I'm interested in is the AU-7900, AU-9900, AU-11000, AU-20000 and the big separates, BA-2000, BA-3000, BA-5000 with their associated preamps.

Trying to understand if there is a significant improvement/value for pricier models vs say the 7900

So for those that have owned both or all of these please jump right in.


TIA
 
Register to hide this ad
Welcome to MM.. You have been lurking for a long time now.
 
AU-7900, AU-9900, AU-11000, AU-20000
In my opinion this series will sound quite alike, (some differences), but with increasing power capability which you probably won't notice much unless you have power hungry speakers and/or until you audition the AU-20000. ;)

The BA-2000 (with CA-2000) will sound a lot like an AU-9900 or AU-11000, the BA-3000 (with CA-3000) will likely eat the rest of them for breakfast. :D

The BA-5000 is very special, very imposing looking and is very powerful, and might be the overall equal of the BA-3000 (although sounding a little different) if it is used with a CA-3000.

All above comments 'in my humble opinion' of course, I don't want to upset anyone. :D

(The above assessment is based on what I think I know :) about the above models in a technical sense, backed up with having reconditioned an AU-7900, owned an AU-9900, and reconditioned a BA-5000).
 
Last edited:
In my opinion this series will sound quite alike, (some differences), but with increasing power capability which you probably won't notice much unless you have power hungry speakers and/or until you audition the AU-20000. ;)

The BA-2000 (with CA-2000) will sound a lot like an AU-9900 or AU-11000, the BA-3000 (with CA-3000) will likely eat the rest of them for breakfast. :D

The BA-5000 is very special, very imposing looking and is very powerful, and might be the overall equal of the BA-3000 (although sounding a little different) if it is used with a CA-3000.

All above comments 'in my humble opinion' of course, I don't want to upset anyone. :D

(The above assessment is based on what I think I know :) about the above models in a technical sense, backed up with having reconditioned an AU-7900, owned an AU-9900, and reconditioned a BA-5000).

Hello John, did you find much difference between the 7900 and 9900, or is it just a little more power? I have a 7900 ;-)
 
The AU-9900 was nicer. ;)

Interesting, I recall many thinking the 7900 should have been part of that series. will take your word for it. I'm going to add another piece/system, but don't need to go BA-5000 if the improvement say over a 20000 or 11000 is not significant. Would be great to test them all in one place against each other, but that's not likely to happen
 
I've heard a AU-9900, 11000, BA/CA 2000 and 3000.

I'd stick with the AU-9900. It's a big jump from the lower models.
 
To me has a lot to do with how much do you want to invest and what kind of speakers you want to drive. You are talkng about a pretty big range of the Sansui line here, mid to top. None of the options you mention are likely to dissapoint but matching your system is important. Enjoy the journey!
 
I had a 7900 in my main system for the last few years but have recently switched to a 20000. I can say that while the sound is similar the way they deliver it is different. There is no question in my mind the 20000 is superior but its lack of loudness switch can be an issue for low volume listening. The 7900 can instantly provide a full/rich sound at low to mid volume which is where most of my listening is, it also paired very well with my older B&W CDM1 speaker. The 20000 just begs you to keep turning up the volume and it gets better and better but after the kids are asleep things have to be kept at a reasonable level and I don't like to constantly be playing with tone controls so I find it to be less pleasing in that situation. At any rate it all depends on how you will be using it but like other have said you cant really go wrong with any in the AU5900 to AU20000 series.
 
I had a 7900 in my main system for the last few years but have recently switched to a 20000. I can say that while the sound is similar the way they deliver it is different. There is no question in my mind the 20000 is superior but its lack of loudness switch can be an issue for low volume listening. The 7900 can instantly provide a full/rich sound at low to mid volume which is where most of my listening is, it also paired very well with my older B&W CDM1 speaker. The 20000 just begs you to keep turning up the volume and it gets better and better but after the kids are asleep things have to be kept at a reasonable level and I don't like to constantly be playing with tone controls so I find it to be less pleasing in that situation. At any rate it all depends on how you will be using it but like other have said you cant really go wrong with any in the AU5900 to AU20000 series.

Thank you, I tend to be an LV listener as well Quality not Quantity :thumbsup:
 
Officially banned from the Sansui Forum! :whip:

giphy.gif
 
In my opinion this series will sound quite alike, (some differences), but with increasing power capability which you probably won't notice much unless you have power hungry speakers and/or until you audition the AU-20000. ;)

The BA-2000 (with CA-2000) will sound a lot like an AU-9900 or AU-11000, the BA-3000 (with CA-3000) will likely eat the rest of them for breakfast. :D

The BA-5000 is very special, very imposing looking and is very powerful, and might be the overall equal of the BA-3000 (although sounding a little different) if it is used with a CA-3000.

All above comments 'in my humble opinion' of course, I don't want to upset anyone. :D

(The above assessment is based on what I think I know :) about the above models in a technical sense, backed up with having reconditioned an AU-7900, owned an AU-9900, and reconditioned a BA-5000).


And yet your all time favourite is none other but the aud11II.:banana:...
 
Back
Top Bottom