• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

And Then There Were Two

Mister Pig

Pigamus Maximus
Earlier in the year I found a Dynavector DV505 II arm I could not pass up. I also had an extra cartridge laying around I could use on it. That means I just needed another table. So after an aborted attempt to buy an Amazon Grand Referenz I was able to seal the deal on a Scheu Audio Das Laufwerk No2 table that I located in Warsaw of all places. After a bit of a wait I had the Scheu here and I installed the Dynavector arm quite easily, and began to enjoy the table. It is a wonderful table, as good as I could expect from any analog spinner within my limited means.

The situation was getting a bit crowded over here though, and I thought I could live with three tables on top of my credenza as I have done this in the past, however these tables were just too big. I hemmed and hawed over time, thinking about which one should find a new home, and did I really want to do that. Truth be told I love all three tables, have a SOTA Cosmos Eclipse with SME V, The Scheu with the Dynavector DV505 II, and a Well Tempered Reference. Last week a decision was made.

I have two cartridges over at VAS for new diamond installation, so I just installed an Audio Technica OC9 XSH on the SOTA and it sounds so right that its an easy sound to live with. I will put the Transfiguration Proteus back on it when it returns, but until then I could listen to this table 24/7. The Dynavector has a removable head shell and the vestigal arm design means I can configure it as a medium to low mass arm depending on the head shell I select. The arm is quite versatile and easy to set up despite its complicated looks. That is what made the decision for me.

The Well Tempered Reference is a fine table, and if it was my only table I could be happy with it. For me the arm is its strength and conversely the reason it gets moved on. This arm is excellent for adjustability and can accommodate a wide array of cartridges. However, setting overhang on it is involved as a bolt has to be loosened under the table and the plinth weighs 65 pounds. Working with the damping cup and silicone levels is easier on this arm compared to other WT arms, but its tedious at best. But in the end it sounds superb, and that is why I went back and forth about finding it a new home when I came to the conclusion that it would be the table to move on. This table is in very nice condition and the Reference is rare and its unlikely I would come across another one again for quite awhile. I thought about boxing it up and setting it aside for a rainy day. But I don't keep a lot of extra audio equipment, and I don't run two systems, finally I have two turntables already. I decided to place it up for sale for what I bought it for and see if someone else would enjoy it.

This week the table got sold. I have it boxed up, and I just need to finish the outer boxing before I take it to ship. Funny thing is I have no regrets even though I have a deep appreciation of this table. I am glad I owned it and got to experience the sound its capable of. In terms of ultimate performance I do think the other tables edge it out, but its not by much. The versatility of the Dynavector tone arm probably tips the scale, and to be honest, the Scheu is the last table I bought and I appreciate its looks so much it really tips the scales in the decision. The SOTA has classic looks, the Scheu just looks striking especially with the Dynavector arm, and the Well Tempered is understated and a bit utilitarian looking. Once again, very nice, but 3rd place.

So it will ship out next week. I hope the new owner enjoys it as much as I do. He is a former Well Tempered owner so he should know the ins and outs of setting one up. Here are a few pics of all 3 tables just for a visual reference.

IMG_20201011_221131.jpg IMG_20201011_221123.jpg IMG_20210708_193607__01.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
What is the WT plinth made from? In your experience, how well does the WT arm stay in adjustment once you're happy with the sound? Last, did it use a thread belt and if so, how difficult was it to set up the belt?

Fantastic tables all the way around, BTW.
 
good that it went to a good home, I did see your ad and wondered if it was your table. selling for what you paid plus you got a nice cartridge in the deal (also moved on) I say well done indeed.
 
good that it went to a good home, I did see your ad and wondered if it was your table. selling for what you paid plus you got a nice cartridge in the deal (also moved on) I say well done indeed.
No the Ikeda is still here. A friend was interested in it and he had it for awhile. He made a table change and no longer had an arm to support it. So it came back to me and he got my Ortofon A90. Now the Ikeda stays permanently, I plan to send it off to Expert Stylus for refurbishment. Will do that after my Transfiguration and ZYX comes back.
 
What is the WT plinth made from? In your experience, how well does the WT arm stay in adjustment once you're happy with the sound? Last, did it use a thread belt and if so, how difficult was it to set up the belt?

Fantastic tables all the way around, BTW.
The plinth is stacks of Corian. The arm does stay in adjustment easily. Now LP Gear now produced a belt that is a quality one. That was the problem with buying original Well Tempered tables as there were no quality replacement belts available for a number of years.
 
Last edited:
No the Ikeda is still here. A friend was interested in it and he had it for awhile. He made a table change and no longer had an arm to support it. So it came back to me and he got my Ortofon A90. Now the Ikeda stays permanently, I plan to send it off to Expert Stylus for refurbishment. Will do that after my Transfiguration and ZYX comes back.

didn't know it came back home, sweet
 
Hard choice but I think you made the right one.

Yes it was something I thought about all summer, and there were days I thought I would find it a new owner, and the next day I would say to myself "are you crazy? You will never get the money that table is worth in terms of sound." Back and forth I went all summer. I suppose the final straw was thinking about what I have to do to be able to play all three tables at a moments notice. My phono stage has two inputs, so I would need a third phono stage and associated cabling. I don't have much room in my rack, and the straw that broke the camels back.

The new owner should have a nice table once he works through the set up. The new fully decked out SOTA with a SME V retails for $15K, the importer of the Scheu has that table listed for $15K also and I am not sure that includes the arm. I bought the Well Tempered for $2200 total, and it comes very very close to the level of performance of the other two tables. So the WTR is the cost verses performance winner, but you have to accept its oddities. The SOTA and Scheu are very straightforward tables to set up and use. The WTR is a bit more involved with its set up parameters of the arm. But once its set up you can forget it and it stays in adjustment forever. It's a heavy beast though, its supposed to weigh 65 pounds. But when I boxed and shipped the plinth and platter in its factory plywood box, the final package of it alone weighed 80 pounds. Now the SOTA weighs 44 pounds, but its a suspended table and they are typically lighter. the Scheu however weighs 38 kilo, just shy of 84 pounds. So the WTR is a bit of a middle weight in comparison.

Thanks for reading my ramblings, I know I will miss the Well Tempered Reference for I surely appreciate it, but I won't regret it since it goes to someone who will appreciate it. As a hobbyist I am more of a consolidator with one system versus a collector. So this fits my M.O.
 
any analog spinner within my limited means.

Made me laugh... you have more high end turntables then most on these forums. Always a tough decision to sell something you become attached to but you can only play one at a time. Congrats on the sale. The Scheu and Dynavector are quite the drool worthy combination. Visually in another league from the Sota.
 
Yes it was something I thought about all summer, and there were days I thought I would find it a new owner, and the next day I would say to myself "are you crazy? You will never get the money that table is worth in terms of sound." Back and forth I went all summer. I suppose the final straw was thinking about what I have to do to be able to play all three tables at a moments notice. My phono stage has two inputs, so I would need a third phono stage and associated cabling. I don't have much room in my rack, and the straw that broke the camels back.

The new owner should have a nice table once he works through the set up. The new fully decked out SOTA with a SME V retails for $15K, the importer of the Scheu has that table listed for $15K also and I am not sure that includes the arm. I bought the Well Tempered for $2200 total, and it comes very very close to the level of performance of the other two tables. So the WTR is the cost verses performance winner, but you have to accept its oddities. The SOTA and Scheu are very straightforward tables to set up and use. The WTR is a bit more involved with its set up parameters of the arm. But once its set up you can forget it and it stays in adjustment forever. It's a heavy beast though, its supposed to weigh 65 pounds. But when I boxed and shipped the plinth and platter in its factory plywood box, the final package of it alone weighed 80 pounds. Now the SOTA weighs 44 pounds, but its a suspended table and they are typically lighter. the Scheu however weighs 38 kilo, just shy of 84 pounds. So the WTR is a bit of a middle weight in comparison.

Thanks for reading my ramblings, I know I will miss the Well Tempered Reference for I surely appreciate it, but I won't regret it since it goes to someone who will appreciate it. As a hobbyist I am more of a consolidator with one system versus a collector. So this fits my M.O.
I always enjoy reading your ramblings. You mentioned the quality of the WT tone arm. I have an AR 'The TT' with Vinyl Nirvana mods, KCC Chronos, & a Jelco 750 tonearm. Very interested in what you think of the two arms you kept. Don't know much about the Dynavector arm. How would you compare the two?
 
Very small correction, Monsieur Cochon. The WT Reference plinth was made from Fountainhead, not Corian. Both of these brands are super-dense "solid surface" material made primarily for countertops and such. Dupont's Corian has become the generic name for all of these, the way we say Kleenex or Soctch Tape, but is one of many different brands. Corian is acrylic, mixed with coloring agents and (oftentimes) bits of natural mineral particles. Fountainhead was a blend of polyester and acrylic, plus the colorants and mineral particles. I just did a quick search and I'm not sure Fountainhead is being made at this time. When the WTR came out, Fountainhead was chosen for its particular properties (which could have been acoustic, ease of workability in the shop, price, or all three). Happy you found your Scheu and that the WTR has a new and appreciative home. My square-motor original Well Tempered Turntable plays on effortlessy and continues to please and impress — I've had it since 1990!
 
Congrats Mister Pig - sometimes less is more and it sounds like this is one of those times.

I'd like to hear more about your change of heart on AT carts too. Didn't think you cared for them so maybe something has changed on the farm ?

Jblnut
 
Congrats Mister Pig - sometimes less is more and it sounds like this is one of those times.

I'd like to hear more about your change of heart on AT carts too. Didn't think you cared for them so maybe something has changed on the farm ?

Jblnut

This latest series of OC9 are excellent, AT has done a nice job voicing them. I have the XML also, and I will put it on a head shell for the Dynavector. If it sounds as nice as it's running mate on the SOTA it can be my daily driver as it's very affordable for it's quality of sound.
 
Very small correction, Monsieur Cochon. The WT Reference plinth was made from Fountainhead, not Corian. Both of these brands are super-dense "solid surface" material made primarily for countertops and such. Dupont's Corian has become the generic name for all of these, the way we say Kleenex or Soctch Tape, but is one of many different brands. Corian is acrylic, mixed with coloring agents and (oftentimes) bits of natural mineral particles. Fountainhead was a blend of polyester and acrylic, plus the colorants and mineral particles. I just did a quick search and I'm not sure Fountainhead is being made at this time. When the WTR came out, Fountainhead was chosen for its particular properties (which could have been acoustic, ease of workability in the shop, price, or all three). Happy you found your Scheu and that the WTR has a new and appreciative home. My square-motor original Well Tempered Turntable plays on effortlessy and continues to please and impress — I've had it since 1990!

when I was in contact with Bill Firebaugh about replacement Delrin pads I mentioned upgrading my plinth to something like Corian, he advised against the change as it would be a step in the wrong direction sonically, the MDF is better, but I'm still considering something like it lol, it just looks so damn good.
 
Back
Top Bottom