• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any experience with oddwatt?

Register to hide this ad
What do you want to do? as in power and driving speakers or?

There's Nads out there needing repair and usually fully rebuilt for excellent results against a parts list. bout the same in time labor unless you want a real simple amp. as examples of options... ?
 
So sent an email and no reply. Any other good kit amps out there that are not Dynaco based?

Yes -- but it depends on what you want/need.

Bottlehead amplifiers, e.g., sound very good but are low/fleapower. Fine if you have speakers with triple-digit sensitivity (some of us do), not great for most modern, low-sensitivity loudspeaker systems.
 
Sorry I should have given more info. I would like something tube 15w - 50w. Most of my speakers are in the low 90's.
 
I know they are Dynaco based but the Latino ST-120 is dreamy in one of my systems! I'm looking to build a pair of the M-125s. The ST-120 was a breeze to build with no real experience in electronic kit building prior to doing this one. He can also sell you a completed kit as well.

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm#ST120
 
you won't get 15 watts out of a single 300B.

Not sure a "low-90s" loudspeaker needs 15 watts "continuous" though -- depends on the loudspeaker, the room, the type of music preferred, typical listening levels, and the impedance curve of the loudspeaker.
 
you won't get 15 watts out of a single 300B.

Not sure a "low-90s" loudspeaker needs 15 watts "continuous" though -- depends on the loudspeaker, the room, the type of music preferred, typical listening levels, and the impedance curve of the loudspeaker.

Hard to break out of the more is better type of thinking that's all. As discussed in another thread if my current amps meters are even in the ballpark I use less than 3 watts peak currently.

Oh and I had realized the 300b was not 15w, my writing style is not clear and never clearly conveys what I am thinking.
 
Hard to break out of the more is better type of thinking that's all. As discussed in another thread if my current amps meters are even in the ballpark I use less than 3 watts peak currently.

Oh and I had realized the 300b was not 15w, my writing style is not clear and never clearly conveys what I am thinking.

Quality trumps quantity, at least broad-band, in audio power every time as far as I am concerned.

For bass, yes, depending on the loudspeakers some prodigious amount of power from a low-impedance "current source" kind of amplifier can be a good thing. Depending on the loudspeakers.


PS oh, and just to be clear, that's "trumps" with a lower case T ;-)
 
Well, I'm about to delve into a little 8 watt SET amp kit from a ShenZen (China) based supplier that some local people speak very highly of. They do a variety of kits. Will report back in a few days as the unopened box is sitting waiting my attention.
 
oddwatt replied. I think I am going to try one of their kits. I have not done a kit in a long time and I really want to try one again.
 
Back
Top Bottom