• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any "hummus junkies" here?

jhoak

Super Member
I do love me a good bowl of hummus. Perhaps a bit too much. There was a time not so long ago when I was either buying or making it every week. Hummus and some manner of cracker or bread was my "go to" snack for a very long time.

For reasons that I don't recall now (perhaps my expanding waistline) I completely stopped eating it and haven't had any for a couple of years now.

This week the local grocery had Sabra (one of my favorites) hummus on sale buy-one-get-one. They also had Ritz crackers BOGO. Well this is what I call a "no brainer". Off to the grovery...

A 10 oz tub of Roasted Pine Nut and a 10 oz tub of Roasted Garlic hummus along with a couple of boxes of crackers later and I now remember what it was I liked about this stuff.

I've only been home from the store for a couple of hours and I've already burned through almost a full tube of crackers and about half a tub of hummus. D@MN!!!

Is there a "12 step" program for hummus addicts? Is there a local chapter of "HA"? I think I might need some help. :D
 
Register to hide this ad
There's plenty of good store bought stuff but making it at home is something else. Lady friend is pretty good at it. I prefer it plain, with a strong hint of lime :D
 
Humina humina hummus! Love the stuff. Better'n peanut butter, doesn't stick to the roof of your mouth. ;)
 
yup, eat some every day as a snack with fresh cut vegetables. Very healthy in moderation (I say this having lost a little over 40 pounds since January via Weight Watchers, with more than a little help from hummus).

Typically we have garlic hummus, but sometimes great regular flavor - sometimes home-made, sometimes locally-made from a middle-eastern supplier at our town farmer's market... the rest of the time, store-bought stuff.
 
I'm down from well over 300 lbs to under 175 lbs but it's not because I gave up hummus. It's because I have some other "issues".

The last time I made it "fresh" here I tossed in a BUNCH of pealed garlic cloves. The result was so SO good. I'm not sure that there's a way to make it "wrong".

Don't matter to me. I love the stuff right wrong or otherwise.
 
Huge Junkie. :drool:

Humus, pita, kibbeh with pine nuts, tahini, gyros, shawarma, kabob, dolma, baba ganoush, and the list goes on.


Steve
 
I've been a hummus fan for well over 20 years and still eat it 3-4 times a week, as a snack or accompanying kebabs from the grill. It's actually pretty low calorie and quite healthy. I used to make it myself, but the Hannah Classic (plain) Organic hummus in the large tub from Costco is some of the best I've had and quite a deal.

I mostly eat it plain with pita, fresh veggies, or whole wheat tortillas. It's also great with some olive oil and Spanish smoked paprika (pimenton) sprinkled on top.
 
I've been big on hummus since I was little. Fresh made is just fantastic. I haven't found a store bought brand that is palatable to me. They all seem too pasty and way too salty. Any suggestions?

I'm actually a bigger babaganoush fan nowadays. That deep earthy, fresh taste and smokiness is my favorite. If you're in Vegas you can get some of either at Paymon's cafe. If you're in Chicago head over to Reza's downtown, another great place.
 
It's so easy to make at home and so much better than any store bought stuff.
 
Fresh made is just fantastic. I haven't found a store bought brand that is palatable to me. They all seem too pasty and way too salty.

And they all taste like they used citric or ascorbic acid powder instead of actual lemon juice. They have that taste like you are sucking on a vitamin C.
 
The Hummus Guy

There's a local (to me) vendor of chips and hummus: The Hummus Guy. He does farmers markets and he is in the local Whole Foods Market. Whenever I eat his hummus (I prefer plain but he has some wonderful mixes) I get spoiled and no other hummus tastes as good.

I'm guessing it is partly ingredients and partly how fresh it is that makes it so much better than anything else I get.

But...I love hummus. After a time, my taste buds forget The Hummus Guy and I'm happy again with hummus from Trader Joe's and the local upscale markets.

A favorite lunch at work included garlic naan bread and hummus from Trader Joe's. About the same cost as a sandwich but I get additional snacks out of it.

This thread gets me excited about making it and having it fresh as can be!
 
With a food processor you can have Hummus in minutes, and I don't just make is out of chickpeas either, try lentils sometime it will roll your eyeballs up into your head. I also make it with blackeyed peas; excellent. If I am in a hurry I used canned chickpeas, and blackeyed peas, you will have to cook the lentils yourself. If you want to try a hummus with blackeyed peas and want to do it with canned "peas" I use the Trappey's brand, they make one with Jalapeno chilies that is magical.

As for recipes I don't really have any I have any I have made hummus for so many years I am in the little bit of this and a little bit of that category. As you might suspect there are thousands of excellent recipes for any kind hummus you want online. I hate sesame oil so any they have this oil are out for me.
 
Last edited:
I am sure all of you hummus heads know the secret to great hummus but lets put it in print to make it official. You have to hand-mix the tahina with the lemon juice separately until the clumps turn to creamy goodness. If you just plop everything in the food processor and go to town it might still be tasty, but you will notice a difference doing it this way. I have been adding garlic stuffed olives to the mix at the end to fill it with chunks of goodness. I eat garbonzo beans every day in one way or another. Besan (chickpea flour) bread, hummus, pizza crust, and today leftover empanadas. Since giving up wheat the magical fruit rules my life!
 
Do you have a favorite recipe, and do you have a favorite source of beans?

1 can garbanzo beans, drained
1/4 to 1/3 cup tahini
1 lemon, juiced
garlic - 1 large or 2 medium cloves
salt
hot sauce
olive oil (I use extra virgin)
paprika
water
My quick, simple recipe-
in a food processor (you can use a bowl and masher, but it won't be as smooth) put beans, tahini, garlic ( I crush it in a garlic press, but can be minced), lemon, pinch of salt ( to start), dash of hot sauce, dash of olive oil ( couple of TB), ond about 2 oz. water. Process til smooth, add more water to get desired consistency. Put in bowl, dribble on olive oil and paprika. It will last at least a week in the refrig. if you pat some plastic wrap down on it.
 
Back
Top Bottom