• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any "hummus junkies" here?

I'm a cheapskate, and the store bought stuff is several bucks per tub, so I make my own. Nothing wrong with the store bought stuff, and sometimes I'll snap it up when it's marked down near the exp. date. I've had some roasted red pepper stuff that was quite delish.
 
I drain all but keep it and "adjust" consistance at the end... it may be a bit softer then necessary, a night in the fridge let it stiffen again...

The olive oil and tahini is where the massive calories are, so I cut back a little on those. About an ounce (1/8 cup) of each for a can of garbanzos. It's not as rich and delicious as store-bought, but I bet I know why. Same reason things are better soaked in butter! A little extra garlic, salt, lemon juice will pep it up.

I like to sprinkle Greek seasoning mix on, if I don't have that red sumac stuff.

For a long time I had a recipe that said to drain half the juice out of the can of beans. My hummus was always kinda runny and slimy, and other people made really good pasty stuff. I finally got the brilliant idea (duh) to drain all the liquid, and viola, much better.
 
This is not your usual hummus, but it does use chickpeas as its base. And it is insanely delicious.

Seasoning Mix

2 t. salt
1 t. cayenne
1 t. ground coriander
1 t. ground fennel seed
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. onion powder
1 t. turmeric
1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. black pepper
1/2 t. white pepper

************

1/2 lb. dry chickpeas
2 heads garlic (about 40 cloves)
1/2 c. toasted sesame seads
1 c. olive oil
2 T. tamari
3 T. white balsamic vinegar
1/2 c. honey
juice of 2 lemons

Day 1:Add enough water to the chickpeas to cover them by 3 or 4 inches and soak overnight.

Day 2: Drain but do not rinse the chickpeas.

Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl.

Roast the garlic, either on an open flame or in a 500 degree oven. Remove papery outer coating first. Plunge into icy water when charred to stop cooking. Peel.

Toast sesame seed in a skillet over high heat and stir constantly until medium brown then immediately remove from heat.

Puree everything until smooth.

Great with pita bread.
 
Last edited:
Copied and filed away for the day that I have the means to make it.

Looks to be wonderful.

THANX!
 
The local grocery chain (Publix) has the Sabra hummus on sale again this week. I came home with a tub of their "Roasted Pine Nut" and "Supremely Spicy". The pine nut is well known to me but the spicy variety is new. At least to me.

The Supremely Spicy is pretty good. A bit on the hot side maybe but not enough so to prevent me from killing almost a tube of Ritz crackers and about a third of the 10 oz tub of hummus.

Maybe I'm just priming my palate for tonight's meal. Today I thawed out a tub of the "Texas Red" that I brewed up a few weeks ago. It's on the stove as I type this and making my kitchen smell really good. I'm looking forward to it.
 
That sounds great,I will be making that tomorrow along with a pita recipe I just found .

This is not your usual hummus, but it does use chickpeas as its base. And it is insanely delicious.

Seasoning Mix

2 t. salt
1 t. cayenne
1 t. ground coriander
1 t. ground fennel seed
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. onion powder
1 t. turmeric
1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. black pepper
1/2 t. white pepper

************

1/2 lb. dry chickpeas
2 heads garlic (about 40 cloves)
1/2 c. toasted sesame seads
1 c. olive oil
2 T. tamari
3 T. white balsamic vinegar
1/2 c. honey
juice of 2 lemons

Day 1:Add enough water to the chickpeas to cover them by 3 or 4 inches and soak overnight.

Day 2: Drain but do not rinse the chickpeas.

Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl.

Roast the garlic, either on an open flame or in a 500 degree oven. Remove papery outer coating first. Plunge into icy water when charred to stop cooking. Peel.

Toast sesame seed in a skillet over high heat and stir constantly until medium brown then immediately remove from heat.

Puree everything until smooth.

Great with pita bread.
 
Texas Red,Chili ?

The local grocery chain (Publix) has the Sabra hummus on sale again this week. I came home with a tub of their "Roasted Pine Nut" and "Supremely Spicy". The pine nut is well known to me but the spicy variety is new. At least to me.

The Supremely Spicy is pretty good. A bit on the hot side maybe but not enough so to prevent me from killing almost a tube of Ritz crackers and about a third of the 10 oz tub of hummus.

Maybe I'm just priming my palate for tonight's meal. Today I thawed out a tub of the "Texas Red" that I brewed up a few weeks ago. It's on the stove as I type this and making my kitchen smell really good. I'm looking forward to it.
 
That sounds great,I will be making that tomorrow along with a pita recipe I just found .

It is so, so good. Sweet and spicy. I admit to taking liberties with the garlic preparation, using cloves packed in water because I'm so tired of mashing and peeling, then just toasting them in a skillet. I grind fennel in my coffee grinder, and use regular soy sauce if I can't find the fancy tamari. Everything else is "by the book". I hope you like it as well as I and my guests do.

Greg
 
Great idea on the garlic . I have tons of it... to be honest I use granulated when I am lazy .

It is so, so good. Sweet and spicy. I admit to taking liberties with the garlic preparation, using cloves packed in water because I'm so tired of mashing and peeling, then just toasting them in a skillet. I grind fennel in my coffee grinder, and use regular soy sauce if I can't find the fancy tamari. Everything else is "by the book". I hope you like it as well as I and my guests do.

Greg
 
Cheddar next time,I have never done that. Not sure why .
I do like Chili with a peanut butter sandwich .


Yep. A big bowl topped with chopped onion and shredded sharp cheddar.

It was wonderful. What's left will be tomorrow's lunch.
 
Ooh, chile on pasta with onions, finely shredded Cheddar and hot sauce, Cincy style. :drool: But that's a different thread!
 
Back
Top Bottom