• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any insight as to Mirage speakers?

The tweeter is indeed a Philips model. The woofers are Peerless.

Refoaming was quite easy. One afternoon for both woofers (no shims - audio generator method). They turned out nicely. After a short breakin period, they sound quite respectable on my "new" Adcom GTP-400/GFA-535 combo.
 
I am an omnidirectional guy - my main rig uses a pair of Ohm Walsh speakers - and when I was putting together the sound for my vacation house (where my main room was really three rooms in one - a living room, dining room and kitchen), I opted to go with four Mirage Omnisat speakers and a Hsu sub.

The sound is great - all over the room...cooking dinner...sitting in front of the fire...at the dinner table....

I think it's a great speaker...small footprint...mounted or placed anywhere...great HT speaker (if your system is doing multi-duty)...and frequently, Vanns sells them for cheap...
 
I have had a pair of 190is's for about 12 years that still sound great and I use a set of Omnisats for my rear speakers.
 
I have a pair of Mirage M990Bs. I'm okay with them, but they don't totally knock my socks off.

Sorry for the following rant...I'd just like to vent a little with like-minded audio buffs. :)

When I first bought the M990s (ebay), they arrived with the boxes dented up really good. I had asked the Fed Ex guy to make a notation on the tablet that they carry, but he said there was no place to do so. He said I could either accept or refuse the packages. I accepted.

Long story short, both of the bases at the bottom of the cabinets were damaged. I filed a claim with Fed Ex, but they wound up turning my claim down. I don't remember why. They were a little rude through the whole process, so that left a bad taste in my mouth. The new bases set me back $120. Ah well...what can you do? ;)
 
I filed a claim with Fed Ex, but they wound up turning my claim down. I don't remember why. They were a little rude through the whole process, so that left a bad taste in my mouth.
FedEx - and the other shippers - don't like to give anyone anything if they don't absolutely have to. Once it's dropped off at your doorstep and paid for, they don't want anything more to do with it IME.
 
my friend has M3s

and theyre too big for him now, he would like a little more space. i know this is an old thread but now and then good things happen.
 
nah...but

both of us are in so-cal and there should be SOMEONE interested. i have maggie MMGs, spendor s3/5s and infinity priimus 150s to go with my hsu sub. oyeah, i also have nht absolute zeros too..

i am not in need, just as i dont need a different phono cart. i have PLENTY at this time.
 
I have a pair of M1 si's from mid 90s, absolutely love them...silky smooth highs,tight bass...also a pair of M3's, very nice...bipolar sound means different sound than front firing speakers: more omni-present, less holographic...(to my ear) not everyone's cup of tea...
 
The 750 is a heck of a great speaker. Certainly much more than the sum of it's parts.

What are you driving them with?

Yes, they just seem to beat all comers. I have used a lot of tube amps (Dynas, Fisher, Bogan, Quicksilvers) and SS (NAD, B&K, Adcoms, and now using a Nikko 650). They really seem happy with either type of amplifier and show what is upstream ... good or bad. It is a very coherent, dynamic speaker and does not sound like a box. Also heard them with some 45 mono blocks, Citation II's/V's, and a Marantz 8B. Very revealing of the differences.

I have brought in a lot of other speakers but the 750's just send them to the curb. Last ones were the Vandersteen 2ci's...not even close here.
Now the Heathkit AS-101's (Valencia's) are something different but I do not see a reason to ever get rid of the 750's.
 
Last edited:
wow! this thread is a blast from the past.

i'll chime in though..... the 750 and SM2.5 are among my favorite speakers -and i have/had
many , many other speakers.. i can't put it into words other than " i'd rather be listening
to 750's / sm-2.5's ......"


i lost mine in a house fire years ago. they're basically the same speaker , but the 750
had a slightly better tweeter than the sm2.5's audax minidome.

i bought my sm-2.5s in 1983 , the first w/ the doped woofers. they blew me away, were better than
anything else i could even closely afford in the store ($700pr) and just made my stereo rule .
the woofers fell to pieces , and in 1995 i found some 750s. they had the same natural mids and
were just what i needed , but my house burned and i lost them.
 
Last edited:
Sm4 ?

I have a pair of what I thought was SM4 by Mirage. Audax drivers. Sound is quite nice. I am wondering if this is right because no one has much to say about the SM4 except them being smaller. These are almost two feet tall.
Two ways with an 8 inch flat rubber surround. Any info would be helpful.
Thank you
Niles
 
Hello:

For a few weeks, I've had an as-found pair of Mirage two-way speakers, model SM-1 (IIRC), sitting in the garage. I believe these date from the time when the kids were little and I wasn't paying any attention to hi-fi. I remember the Mirage name, but I really don't know anything about the brand. The woofers need to be refoamed... the question is: would they be worth rescuing? Or shall I return them to their point of origin (the swap pile at the town 'transfer station').

Cosmetics are quite good, FWIW.

I have a small pair of Mirage speakers (SM .4) in very nice condition that I purchased with some NAD stuff and Kimber Kable. I did some research on the company after I got them refoamed. I can't give you names, but the company was founded by a group of audiophile that thought the could build a better speaker and set out to to do so. Heck, here is a link, they can tell it a lot better than I. John http://www.miragespeakers.com/na-en/about/history/
 
Hello:

For a few weeks, I've had an as-found pair of Mirage two-way speakers, model SM-1 (IIRC), sitting in the garage. I believe these date from the time when the kids were little and I wasn't paying any attention to hi-fi. I remember the Mirage name, but I really don't know anything about the brand. The woofers need to be refoamed... the question is: would they be worth rescuing? Or shall I return them to their point of origin (the swap pile at the town 'transfer station').

Cosmetics are quite good, FWIW.

I have a pair of SM-1s. I love them. Absolutely refoam the woofers, these are great sounding speakers.
 
the ones i've seen had philips 1" domes . check your impedance to find the right ones.

if you find the right model, but the faceplate is the wrong shape- i've found that
many , but not all v-c/dome/terminal "butterfly" assemblies are interchangeable.

some have polycarbonate domes , some textile .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
...also love my 490i's...smaller towers great for a small-ish space...gorgeous sounding..silky and sweet...absolutely no listening fatigue...so many speakers that some say are "more 'forward" to me are just harsh sounding...Mirage has always gotten that silky sweet high end thing right....just lovely sounding...
 
I agree about that silky sweet high end. I use Mirage all around: OM-12's (LR), OMC2 (C), and OM-R2's (Rear). Piano and string instruments are amazing. I could listen all day. I drive them with a NAD pre/pro and a B&K amp.
 
Back
Top Bottom