• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anybody familiar with these speakers?

jmarley7

Active Member
I personally am not familiar with these speakers and can't seem to find anything on the interweb related to the RDC-2C. Anyone?
 

Attachments

  • rdc 1.jpg
    rdc 1.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 82
  • rdc 2.jpg
    rdc 2.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 211
  • rdc-3.jpg
    rdc-3.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 168
Register to hide this ad
Yep, I am figuring mid seventies. I grew up in the 70's and thought I had heard of most of the names producing speakers back then. I am not even sure RDS is the manufacture or a model made by a manufacture.
 
There were lots and lots of "names" on speakers in that period that you'll never find anything about on the web. Back then I owned a pair of house brand speakers called "Lab Standard" that were the local "stereo warehouse" house brand. I'm sure the same speakers were sold under a dozen other names. Usually not great components, a few resistors instead of a crossover, and zero actual engineering. Not that they were total junk - mine sounded good and were very solidly built. Your drivers look very typical of a house brand speaker.

So how do they sound?
 
The cabinets look sturdy and the drivers appear to be US sourced and of decent quality. I have never been a fan of large diameter cone tweeters, so by swapping those out you could probably improve the sound quality for not a whole lot of money. As long as the ohm rating and efficiency rating of the new tweeters were really close to the existing tweets, the swap should be simple and rewarding. It's time to play Franken-speaker! (lol)
 
I know this thread is a bit old, but I was searching for the same speaker. Nice cabinets, very deep bass (DSOTM is playing on the local classic rock station - solid deep bass thud). A friend of mine had them and just gave them to me while cleaning house. The cabinets alone seem too nice to toss out.

Those tweeters as installed are a joke, not so much quality as that they don't even close the hole in the cabinet - yet the woofers are sealed in with a caulk gasket. Drivers are Becker from 1970. My tweeters are rotting apart. Woofers are cheap with a 1" VC, but then again it's the sound that counts. I've got a pair of 3.5" CTS cones that are Magnavox console pulls from the mid 1970s that should work better.

Good for a garage speaker. Curious myself as to which store had these as a house brand.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3349.jpg
    IMG_3349.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom