• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anybody Try The Hockey Puck As A Record Clamp/ Results?

Reporting back on the $25 ($40 incl shipping) weight/clamp featured here http://www.ttweights.com/catalogue.html. I made this purchase primarily to enhance sound quality and secondarily because I liked the look.

I've used it on my basement playroom system and my main rig in the family room: two distinctly different configurations both in terms of acoustic characteristics of the room and in the equipment in the rig. In each case there was a noticeable improvement in quality of sound. Bass is much fuller, highs and mid ranges more clear. And the look is quite classy and rated highly from a WAF perspective.

$40 may seem steep to some but from my perspective it is well worth it.

My 2 centavos.
 
In complete sincerity, aesthetics aside (can't underestimate the WAF!) I'd be interested to know how it compares to my $1.99 hockey puck.
 
I'm guessing the big difference IS the wife acceptance factor! No doubt it looks classier but function is similar. :yes:

Steve
 
While the Hockey Puck is a nifty idea for a substitute, I don't think it even approaches the function of the clamp-style retainer. With the clamp, you can push down hard on the record and then tighten the collet, which gives you a superior amount of pressure on the record, thus eliminating any chance of resonance. I'd say you need at least the equivalent of 1 lb. of pressure to be effective?

By the way, I wonder why we still abbreviate pound or pounds with the LB, which is short for the latin 'libra', meaning scales or weights.
 
While the Hockey Puck is a nifty idea for a substitute, I don't think it even approaches the function of the clamp-style retainer. With the clamp, you can push down hard on the record and then tighten the collet, which gives you a superior amount of pressure on the record, thus eliminating any chance of resonance. I'd say you need at least the equivalent of 1 lb. of pressure to be effective?

By the way, I wonder why we still abbreviate pound or pounds with the LB, which is short for the latin 'libra', meaning scales or weights.

Well I disagree I'm using a jar lid that is drilled so You have to use force to get it took lock in place on the spindle and i know it is gripping. because I can grab the clamp and it will stop the platter from spinning as well as trying to pull up on the record. Plus I'm a cheap sob and 40 bucks to me sounds a little steep.
To each his own.
 
OT Alert

By the way, I wonder why we still abbreviate pound or pounds with the LB, which is short for the latin 'libra', meaning scales or weights.
OT Alert: Good question that I never even thought of! Wikipedia's definition explains each of the terms, but not the history of how the two became married expect that "the Romans did it, too":

The word pound comes from the Latin word pondus meaning "weight". The abbreviation lb comes from the Latin word libra, meaning "scales, balances", which also described a Roman unit similar to the pound.

And on a related note, why do we use "$" as the denomination for "dollars", then? Or sometimes the quotation mark and apostrophe to denote "feet" and "inches"?

Back to the scheduled programming.
 
In reading this thread I'm wondering about the thinner records you've come across with using a clamp, with so much down force in the center does the outer part of the disc bow up at all ?
 
I think some of us are only able to use weights and not clamps due to the shape and height of the spindle. On my Rek-O-Kut there is only about 1/4" of tapered spindle sticking out above the record so nothing for a collet clamp to grip to. The straight ends right at the surface of the LP.

Steve
 
With respect to an A/B comparison, hockey puck vs. new clamp/weight because I'm reluctant to press the puck into place on my suspended t/t I can't be very helpful.

I won't deny that there was an element of the WAF consideration in my decision to go for the classier looking clamp.

With respect to the effect of the clamp on thinner LPs, my experience thus far is consistent with Stanton681EEES.
 
Last edited:
With respect to an A/B comparison, hockey puck vs. new clamp/weight because I'm reluctant to press the puck into place on my suspended t/t I can't be very helpful.

Sounds like a wise decision. I have an SL-1200, so that's not an issue for me.
 
So your record is now not laying flat on the surface (platter), so what's the piont then ?

Speaking only for myself, and in clarification of my earlier post on the matter, in order for one of the thinner LPs to bow up at the edges it must have a warp that would tend to make it bow to begin with. In my experience, the thinner LPs that do not have a noticeable warp do indeed lay flat on the platter mat when I use the clamp/weight.
 
So your record is now not laying flat on the surface (platter), so what's the piont then ?

To clarify and to answer you, if the record is slightly warped YES it will cause the edge to not lay flat. BUT I do notice a difference in sound and it still keeps the center section flat. The only time I don't use the clamp is with a badly warped record which thank god I only have two in that condition and there both hard to replace. That's the point.:yes:
 
Well I disagree I'm using a jar lid that is drilled so You have to use force to get it took lock in place on the spindle and i know

I am wondering if you could provide a photo of this jar lid system you have worked out? This sounds intriguing.
Does the lid 'scratch' the spindle on your TT after multiple uses?
 
I am wondering if you could provide a photo of this jar lid system you have worked out? This sounds intriguing.
Does the lid 'scratch' the spindle on your TT after multiple uses?

No the lid being plastic doesn't scratch the spindle in fact i made another one out of a metal lid, those type with the thin lid that has a small raised spot in the middle and it grabs the spindle when pushed down in the middle.
I wish i could remember the size drill bit I used but you'll have to experiment with it. it took me three tries before i got it dead center and drilled with the correct hole. not to tight or to loose. Sorry I don't have a camera to take pics.
Good Luck with the clamp and your Technics.
 
Back
Top Bottom