• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone Doing the LCR With Their Vintage McIntosh?

MX117.MC7150

Listener
Subscriber
Thinking about picking up an MC250 or MC2100 to run a center channel from my MX114 and am wondering if anyone has done this and thinks it is worth the effort?
 
Register to hide this ad
As stated in a different thread back in 80,81 or so did a trial before store hours with XR7s and a C-27. However due to the current edge of the art recording techniques the audiophile community will have to address true full range LCR sound stages as have the pros in all venues.
 
Am using MC303 for LCR and MC252 for surround , to me really worth it compare to my previous Anthem amp :) . Will be adding another mcintosh amp for my surround back in near future :)
 
Am using MC303 for LCR and MC252 for surround , to me really worth it compare to my previous Anthem amp :) . Will be adding another mcintosh amp for my surround back in near future :)
Thanks...........but am asking about the 'vintage' LCR which several of the older McIntosh pieces (MX114, C27, etc.) of yore were set up to handle. Not talking about the modern 'surround sound' type of thing with its electronic processing.
 
I am using a 2505 for the center channel , and 1 2105 for left and right as well as another 2105 for the rear

i use a c29 as my pre-amp - which i have a reel to reel and a dual TT as analog sources - I use an outlaw 1050 receiver for the theater side - the L and R pre-outs go to another input on the c29 , all the other C, LS,RS go to their respective amp , the 861 is the cd source , and the movie fronts go thru the same pre-outs to the c29

each amp is calibrated for sound levels as well as the c29's volume set to a center point - then all the volume for multi-channel is controlled by the volume on the 1050

does that make sense - I want the analog going thru the c29 - an all vintage system

gary
 
I have tried it over the years. One consideration is how long the wall is for the LCR. That is, if the wall behind the speakers is long enough to cause hole in sonic image, then an LCR setup could be considered. Otherwise, I would ask why do it?

Cheers,

David
 
The R+L to center was Macs answer for the time of mostly mono mixes or overly exagerated stereo with horns that left much to be desired in center fill.

For today we will need to learn to do it because there is no true stereo recordings anymore. They are all contrived close micked concoctions from the recording engineer's mixer.
 
Last edited:
I still have a bunch of Mercury, Telarcs, Sheffield, Audio Fidelity, and personally recorded stereo or 3 channel to stereo mixed tapes. I use an Ampex bridging transformer to derive my center channel. If I use the sum of left+ and right+ I loose all the ambient sound for the center channel. If I use left+ and sum with a negative right I get the ambient sound for the center channel. Its fun to be able to choose what you want the center channel to do or be. How do you get a negative right. Take the pin 3 output of a balanced xlr from the right channel as the signal. Remember, pin 2 + polarity, pin 3 - polarity, pin 1 ground. If you don't have balanced outputs, it still can be done. Look at Jensen transformers web site. TWI
 
Back
Top Bottom