• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone heard of JS Audio inc.

showett

Active Member
Picked these up today at local TS and can not find much info, searched google and here. They look well built and have clear cone 8" woofer and dome tweeter, I will try to get pics up tonight. They need re-foam so no listening comments yet. Thanks in advance.
 
Register to hide this ad
If its an acoustic suspension design, its the 28, and ported, its the Mesa. That's my impression from the Orion Blue Book. 1987-92, located in Morris Plains NJ (which information is made a bit dubious in my mind by the fact that the immediately subsequent JSE also is said to have the same address, though my strong impression is that JSE was located in CT, and never in NJ.)
 
They are in NJ, I picked up a pair of very solidly built monitors for a song in Montclair, and the seller made a note they were custom shop builds from that really good HT /AV shop in Morris Plains.
They are really well built, solid cabinetry, do have dovetail joints, blonde wood finish, nice butyl surrounds on the cones. They're in my darkroom now, as I replaced their position in the bedroom 5.1 system with Infinity 2000.2 s for a spell.
 
I didn't really doubt that they were from NJ, its just that Orion is so haphazard in everything, and the fact that the address immediately next was pretty clearly wrong, made all the addresses suspect.
 
That's a SEAS tweeter, and a very nice one, too. Refoamed, they might sound very nice.
 
JS Audio Monitors

Here are the ones I found. I didn't see a model number or anything on their website to identify them. They sound better than good for their size and are handsomely finished. i rotate them in and out of second or third systems. How are yours sounding?
 

Attachments

  • AHA_0491.jpg
    AHA_0491.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 179
  • AHA_0500.jpg
    AHA_0500.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 132
  • AHA_0501.jpg
    AHA_0501.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 125
  • AHA_0497.jpg
    AHA_0497.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 137
Nice. Audax HD-something tweeters in there, one of the best domes I've heard. Audiomaster (a UK company who made an LS3/5a for a while) used them in quite a lot of their smaller speakers.
 
Here are the ones I found. I didn't see a model number or anything on their website to identify them. They sound better than good for their size and are handsomely finished. i rotate them in and out of second or third systems. How are yours sounding?

I have nearly the same bookshelf speakers, although I think my woofers are different. They were a gift to me circa 1990. I grew up one town over from Morris Plains and remember visiting the shop at least once. The owner made his own speakers from high-quality components. I remember him showing me some Bose speaker that had come in for repair and comparing how much heavier his cabinets were, and so forth. I see there's still a website although it's very home theater oriented, with no mention of speaker building.
 
Here are the ones I found. I didn't see a model number or anything on their website to identify them. They sound better than good for their size and are handsomely finished. i rotate them in and out of second or third systems. How are yours sounding?

Also in your pictures I see a 201 area code phone number on the label on the back of speaker. That became a 973 area code phone number in mid-1997, so the speakers would definitely pre-date that.
 
JS Audio

in 87, I bought a traded in 15" subwoofer w/built in xover from JS Audio. Richard was/is the owner, great guy, great speakers. I usually stopped in there 4 or 5x a year to browse and BS. In 99, I bought the 2 way bookshelf speakers pictured; after a few months, my 15 YO convinced me to buy the 3 way speakers, small floor standing units. I kept the 2 ways, later added a center channel with 6 or 8 shielded drivers and a 15" sub. I replaced an Energy system, which my son now has, along with my KEF 2005.2 (or something like that, 6 smaller egg shaped satellites). I'm using a NAD 2200 in bridged mode for the sub (1.6KW!) and a Yamaha RX-V1500 for the rest of the channels. My son (now 29) was always bragging about how his systems always were better than mine, LOL. Last night he asked if I would give him the NAD 2200 and JS Audios for "a wedding or a house warming present". I told him he could have them when I moved to the Philippines or died, but not before. I have some really nice KLH Model 23 speakers in the BR, powered by another 2200 or a NAD 7155 Receiver, depending upon my mood, sounds better to me on music than the JS Audios, but I loved the JS Audios a few years ago when I had the Yamaha as a preamp driving the 3 NADs across the fronts. Great thing about Richard is when my son messed up the original sub, he fixed it free; ditto for the center channel. When one of the drivers went south, he replaced all of the shielded drivers with new ones (I saw a slight look of disapproval on his wife's face though). I think they stopped making speakers, but they were quite reasonable and other than that 1 driver, never a problem.
 
Last edited:
Gave son JS Audios

I finally relented and gave my son the JS Audio 3 ways, center, 15" sub and 1 NAD 2200 amp, as he bought a house and these were for his "man cave" (he finally admitted that the JS Audio's were better than his/my old Energy speakers) Last night, get a text, surrounds on 8" woofers in 3 ways shot! Wow, maybe that's why the KLHs started to sound better. Called JS today, Richard sold the biz 6 years ago, the guy was very helpful about where to look for new woofers or new surrounds. If Richard were still making speakers, these folks no longer are, I'd bet $5 that he would have fixed or replaced for free. Great guy.
 
I've had a number of speakers from JS over the years. EXCELLENT speakers, reasonably priced and Rich was a super-nice guy.
 
JS Audio

I bought a traded in JS Audio unpowered 15" subwoofer with speaker level inputs/crossover for $200 in 1987, shortly after moving to NJ. I worked "around the corner" in Cedar Knolls, so I stopped in here several times a year. Richard, the founder and former owner, was a great guy to chat with, even if not buying anything. In 1998, I upgraded my AV system to Energy e:XLs, but by 1999, I had VRIPed from AT&T and upgraded to JS bookshelf 2 ways, which my then 15 YO son said had no mids and he talked me into JS Audio 3 ways (my son was Richard's "best salesman"!). I wanted to trade in the 2 ways, but Richard's wife gave a look, so I bought the 3 ways for $400, I think. Over the next several months I also bought a 15" passive sub and an 6 or 8 driver center; the sub was powered by a mono'd NAD 2200, delivering 1,600 watts. Richard was a great guy; when one of my Center drivers stopped working in 2008 or so, he said "bring it in". When I got there, he asked if I still had a CRT or a LCD, I said LCD and he replaced all of the shielded drivers with better unshielded ones (as his wife rolled her eyes, LOL). Shortly afterwards, he sold the business and they just do custom installations now. My son got the Energys in 1999 and for the next 15 years proceeded to tell me how much better his system was (at first the Energy speakers, powered by my cast off Yamaha RXV877, later by receivers of his own choosing). About a year ago, after getting engaged and buying a house with an awesome AV Room in the basement, my son called me and asked if maybe "I'd give him my JS Loudspeakers and the NAD for a housewarming or engagement present"; after getting him to admit that my system was better, I said "No, but if I move to Asia or when I kick off, they're yours". I finally relented after a few days and he now has my JS Audios and the NAD 2200, while I now have the Energy setup and a pair of KLH Model 23s (powered by 2 mono'd NAD 2155 amps, not as good as a single NAD 2200 though); I also kept the JS Audio 2 way bookshelf speakers, which I saw FS online in So Jersey last year for $60 the pair. I'm using them with the Energy 10" sub, otherwise I think they'd be in storage, but they sound great this way. Wherever you are Richard, thanks for everything!
 
I just bought a set of these. They are 3-ways. But one is missing a grill. Anyone know where i can buy one? Hell i dont even know the model of these. Here is what they look like.
 

Attachments

  • 118EE7D3-A8DC-4B44-8695-7852E849F7A5.jpeg
    118EE7D3-A8DC-4B44-8695-7852E849F7A5.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 47
Back
Top Bottom