• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone into Progressive Rock?

Count me in for that Porcupine Tree fan club!

I'm a progger at heart, but have taken a break from the genre for the last year or so to explore some other areas of musical interest. But I find myself coming back into the fold lately with the recent release of new Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater material.

Hyfi...when did you become a progger man? Demetrio has obviously been a good influence on you. :yes:
 
I have some ELP and King Crimson albums (can't have one without the other) but I am admittedly more of a metal head than anything.
 
AaronG said:
I have some ELP and King Crimson albums (can't have one without the other) but I am admittedly more of a metal head than anything.
Hmmm... so maybe "Deadwing" and "In Absentia" (the two latest Porcupine Tree recordings) are just what the doctor ordered. Progressive rock with the most intelligent metal tinge you can think about. :yes: :thmbsp:

http://www.porcupinetree.com/

Consider also Riverside's "Out of Myself" (think P.Floyd + Porcupine Tree + Opeth + Anathema).

http://www.riverside.art.pl/eng/main.html

Cheers,
Demetrio.
 
Prog Hair Bands?!

CarlV said:
I always have been a big time progressive fan. Man, the list
could take a while. You can buy King Biscuit CD's.
I have the Mountain, Humble Pie, and Uriah Heep ones, maybe more. Most Excellent!!! :)
Carl

Mountain,Humble Pie, Uriah Heep_you call this bands Prog Rock?:naughty:
or Prog Hair :lmao:

clint.
 
clint e. said:
Mountain,Humble Pie, Uriah Heep_you call this bands Prog Rock?:naughty:
or Prog Hair :lmao:

clint.

Uriah Heep's first couple of albums were very progressive. I suggest you check out the albums Salisbury and Look At Yourself.

Too many people only remember Uriah Heep for the songs "Stealin'" and "Easy Living".
 
What is Prog Rock afterall ?!

Uriah Heep was and i think still are more of a Hard Rock band than a Prog Band.
But by the way you are thinking,Demons and Wizzards is more appeling to your opinion than Look At Yourself.
So follow your way of thinking i gess we could say that some of David Bowie (Station To Station) or even some of the Beatles are Prog Rock too. :yes:
After all what is Prog Rock,if not a long,elaborated and experimental kind of music played by rock virtuosos influenced by Classic music and Jazz fusion...

I'm still a fan of the first two Yes Albums ,Genesis the period Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, King Crimson-In The Court of Crimson King, Dark side of the Moon , The Wall from Pink Floyd, and more recently Metropolis part II. Scenes from a memory from Dream Theater or “Snow” from Spock’s Beard.
Yes for instance,began their shows with an excert sampled from “Firebird suite” of Igor Stravinsky,and Emerson Lake and Palmer play some pieces of Aaron Copland, Bela Bartok, Modest Mussorgsky, Sergei Prokofiev, Leos Janek and sometimes mixed extended parts of plays by Johann Sebastian Bach.

Gracias :thmbsp:
clint.
 
Last edited:
...and don't forget GONG...

Gong: Gazeuse (European Version), Expresso (US Version)
It cooks and Allan Holdsworth has some stunning performances on this one.

Oh yeah...and I get to see Allan Holdsworth in Northampton, MA tomorrow night!
 
ForeverAutumn said:
Count me in for that Porcupine Tree fan club!
:thmbsp: :banana: :rockon: :yippy:

By the way, I finally received yesterday my copy of Porcupine Tree's first DVD, "Arriving Somewhere...".

ptdvd1.jpg


This DVD is wonderful, I have no words to describe how great it is. :thmbsp:

And an advice to you guys who will also buy this DVD: listen to it LOUUUUUUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This audio quality is brilliant: the louder you listen, the better!!! :thmbsp: Drums and bass are crisp, just awesome. If you have a good subwoofer in your setup, you'll thank yourself a lot for it. :rockon:

Cheers,
Demetrio.
 
another progger here,that's me,old schoolish list

ELP
King Crimson
Yes
PFM
Ozric Tentacles
Can <yeah,they can be considered prog
Gong
Pink Floyd <I know,I know,but Meddle,Atom Heart Mother stretched the boundarys of rock,they really did.
 
I have been into prog since I can remember, from the early days of Yes, King Krimson, Pink Floyd, Kansas, Rush, (even listened to some Asia for awhile.:lmao:)

Nowadays, I lean towards the heavier side of prog, and there are so many bands it's hard to list them all, however, over the last few years, it has been:

Tool
Porcupine Tree
Dream Theatre (since their first release)
Spock's Beard
Aryeon
Opeth
and more recently,
Kamelot
Deadsoul Tribe
Statovarious
Threshold
Nightwish
Transatlantic
Therion and on and on...

I won't even start with my love of Black, Death and other metals. :smoke:

:guitar:

Rock on fellas!
 
There are too many to list, but suffice it to say ---> yes. But within reason. By this I mean that oftentimes prog gets too self-indulgent. I stay away from all that commercial prog garbage (Yes, Genesis, etc...) No offense please folks, JM2C; but the underground has always been better than 99.9% of all major label releases. This tends to be the case for almost all forms of music. Different prog strokes 4 dem different freaky folks (Flamen Dialis, The Platina, Jean Cohen-Solal, Decibel, etc...)
 
Ambrosia

Great thread! Lot's of bands listed here I need to check out...
Anyone else remember Ambrosia?
 

Attachments

  • ambrosia.jpg
    ambrosia.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 4
PioneerHPMLuver said:
Anyone else remember Ambrosia?
Good stuff. At least the first two - "Ambrosia" (1975) and "Somewhere I've Never Travelled" (1976), the ones I know. :thmbsp:

Demetrio.
 
Progger said:
Some current prog bands I also enjoy a lot, together with the aforemencioned Porcupine Tree: Isildurs Bane, Areknamés, Anglagard, Anekdoten, Landberk, Echolyn, After Crying, Höyry-Kone, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Pineapple Thief, Riverside, Timothy Pure, Solaris, Pär Lindh Project, The Flower Kings, IQ, Pendragon, Pallas, Clepsydra, Shakary, Mostly Autumn, Iona, Magenta.... the list is endless...
And some other good prog bands I have discovered lately:

- Pure Reason Revolution
- Pilotdrift
- Dredg
- Oceansize
- Anamor
- Svenn
- Framauro

:thmbsp:
Demetrio.
 
I think I might have liked some progressive rock bands back in the late 60's and early 70's, but I can't remember for sure. I went to this Mountain concert and everything has been a little fuzzy since then. :smoke:
Someone said that if you can remember the 60's, you probably were not there.
In a moment of clarity I did purchase a CD, "20 Years of Jethro Tull" last week
 
Just checking in to this thread: progger, aye!

I am fortunate to have a very nice, hard local music scene that contains quite a bit of prog: Dark Aether Project, Echolyn (not sure if they're still local...ish), Crack the Sky (sort of, but not really associated with the rest of the scene, although they're good about opening acts), OHO, Brave, Food for Worms, Green something...Emerald? um...something Family? We used to have Garden of Shadows. Progression magazine had a sampler several years ago that was just awesome. Cuneiform is a local label.

I've got nothing to add, other than listen to Demetrio, he has excellent taste.

Oh, and Yes and Rush are two of my top 10 favourite bands of all time.
 
corporalcripp said:
ELP
King Crimson
Yes
PFM
Ozric Tentacles
Can <yeah,they can be considered prog
Gong
Pink Floyd <I know,I know,but Meddle,Atom Heart Mother stretched the boundarys of rock,they really did.
I can't believe someone said PFM
That was a great Italian band. Saw them at August Jam in Charlotte. The first group. Had 3 of their albums. Photo's of Ghost was their best.
 
Progger said:
By the way, I finally received yesterday my copy of Porcupine Tree's first DVD, "Arriving Somewhere...".

I picked this up a couple of weeks ago but haven't had time to watch it yet.

I bought the new Dream Theater DVD at the same time. Haven't watched that yet either.

And it's not looking good to find the time to watch these anytime soon. :no:
 
Back
Top Bottom