• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone know about this AMPEX amp?

I thought Ampex used a Stephens woofer for this unit. Anyone know how to read speaker code?

did someone say speaker codes ?? :D

I can't quite make out the numbers though - are the first three digits on that woofer 328 ? if so, that would make it a Utah . . . nice beefy magnet on that woofer . . .

can't make out the rest - can you post the complete codes, and I'll look 'em up ?
 
I'm currently trying to figure out if it is worth replacing the 3 40uf and 3 20uf caps in the power supply with Solens or something equivalent. It would cost almost $100 replacing those 6 caps.

I wouldn't spring for fancy caps just for the power supply. Garden variety electrolytics will do since they aren't in the signal path. Even if there is any effect on the sound, it's likely minimal compared to the caps in the signal path. Since the PS caps are the most expensive, that's where you can save a bundle.
 
did someone say speaker codes ?? :D

I can't quite make out the numbers though - are the first three digits on that woofer 328 ? if so, that would make it a Utah . . . nice beefy magnet on that woofer . . .

can't make out the rest - can you post the complete codes, and I'll look 'em up ?

on the woofer, the codes are: 668-0033, 328042
on the horn: 668-0033
 
Nope, I was thinking the opposite. You should definetly replace the can and remove the 10uf to return it back to spec.

i was wishing the guy replaced the can caps not too long ago, but looking at the cap, it's probably sometime ago. darn, i was hoping for easy way out. i will have to use smaller can i have around and maybe paint it....i'm gonna try completely rebuilding this thing and paint the chassis, too. only thing is, as lazy as i am, it may take up to a year....lets hope not.:thmbsp:
 
I went out to that guy's place last weekend and looked-at this exact unit. It's an interesting piece, and I think that the iron on the power-amp looked unusually beefy for the roughly 15 watts/chan that it would generate.

Unfortunately the tuner-preamp didn't look very useful to me, being designed to work with old-fashoined ceramic cartridges (not magnetic carts), and only supporting mono FM. Also the chassis of the power amp looked like it was made out of pot-metal, and clearly was never designed for display. However the tape-deck might have interested me, did I not already one one of these though.

I passed on it because I thought that it was merely an OK deal, had only ROTM very-used tubes (no Teles or Amperexes that I could see) and it necessarily came with a gigantic console that weighs a back-breaking ~400 lbs! :eek:

Anyway, I'm glad to see that an AKer who will truly appreciate that unit got it. :thmbsp:

yes, it was very disapointing to see the conditions of the components when the seller clearly explained to me that they all WORKED FINE! i really dont' understand why the words 'works fine' have different meaning for different people. not to bash the guy to death here, but when i asked him, 'didn't you say that everything worked fine and that you've tested them before telling me they did', he said, 'well it did make a sound last night - it went like wheeezzz - it wasn't clear, but did make a noise like that when i turned it on'. i was thinking, 'what the hell!!?', but didn't say it out loud.

anyways, only reason i got it was for the power amp. it looked very decently built and easy to modify and update. also, not bad looking either compared to amps like st-70. wish me luck.:thmbsp:
and as for the tubes, yes, most have been replaced with rca and tungsol, but did spot a few tele's and bugles deep inside where you couldn't see. HA!
 
Back
Top Bottom