• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone know about this AMPEX amp?

gogofast

Addicted Member
hello,
i'm in a position to possibly get a nice ampex power amp. i do not know the model number, but it's from a console model 5758-2.
a while a go i saw this thread where one of AK'er scored same console. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=125050
does anyone know anything about this amp? wpc? tube type, amp type, and from the pictures, it looks like it has 3 speaker hook up. is this a 3 channel amp? any input will be appreciated. thank you.
 
Register to hide this ad
Ampex Amp 5758-2

gogofast ,I'm the one who picked one of these up a while back

Its a two channel stereo useing 6973 output tubes of unknown power as I haven't gotten that far yet. It uses a 7199 tube as a preamp tube I think as I'm learning here my self. I just got done repairing my amp just yesterday, Replaced power supply caps, power supply diodes, four bypass or are they coupling caps anyway they got replaced with orange drops, rebuilt(restuffed multi section can cap ) and the amp is good to go. now iI need to trun my attention to the tuner/preamp as I belive it also has some caps in need of replacing.

Not to hijack his thread but I cannot find any info on this console. I am in need of the schmetics on this unit, Can some one help me ? englissa
 
gogofast ,I'm the one who picked one of these up a while back

Its a two channel stereo useing 6973 output tubes of unknown power as I haven't gotten that far yet. It uses a 7199 tube as a preamp tube I think as I'm learning here my self. I just got done repairing my amp just yesterday, Replaced power supply caps, power supply diodes, four bypass or are they coupling caps anyway they got replaced with orange drops, rebuilt(restuffed multi section can cap ) and the amp is good to go. now iI need to trun my attention to the tuner/preamp as I belive it also has some caps in need of replacing.

Not to hijack his thread but I cannot find any info on this console. I am in need of the schmetics on this unit, Can some one help me ? englissa

thank you for the info.
so what's the wire connection in the middle part of the amp front?
i thought it was for center channel.
anyways, have you tried the power amp with other preamp?
what does it sound like?
 
Ampex Amp 5758-2

The middle connection is to the power lamp that is in the front, , hacent gotten to useing a different preamp yet, kinda slow about things englissa
 
Schematic for the Tuner/preamp is Sams 612-3 (Ampex model 550). I have not found an amp Sams for this however I have a jpg of the schematic that I could email if you need it.

Power output of the amp is 17 watts per channel at clipping with both channels driven (it was rated for 15) and the only output tap is 8 ohm. I really like my Ampex amp and once I get my preamp/tuner recapped I'm hoping I'll like it as much.

What RTR came with this Englissa? Do you have a picture? For some reason I'm slowly but surely acquiring all the hardware to recreate this console. I wish I could stumble across one somewhere so I could just buy the whole thing, it's getting expensive to buy it piece by piece.
 
Scuzzer thanks for the schematic help as i got the amp pettery under controll but a copy of it wouldn't hurt, please send it to me, I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow and post them to my ftp site so that you can view them , it getting late , I really havent paid much attition to the RTR or turntable englissa
 
Schematic for the Tuner/preamp is Sams 612-3 (Ampex model 550). I have not found an amp Sams for this however I have a jpg of the schematic that I could email if you need it.

Power output of the amp is 17 watts per channel at clipping with both channels driven (it was rated for 15) and the only output tap is 8 ohm. I really like my Ampex amp and once I get my preamp/tuner recapped I'm hoping I'll like it as much.

What RTR came with this Englissa? Do you have a picture? For some reason I'm slowly but surely acquiring all the hardware to recreate this console. I wish I could stumble across one somewhere so I could just buy the whole thing, it's getting expensive to buy it piece by piece.

scuzzer,
can you possibly email me those info you have?
i'd really appreciate it. i got a call from seller saying it is available.
 
I don't have an electronic copy of the tuner/preamp Sams and no scanner. Perhaps one of the guys with the Sams library have it on hand.

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send a copy of the amp jpg.
 
I don't have an electronic copy of the tuner/preamp Sams and no scanner. Perhaps one of the guys with the Sams library have it on hand.

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send a copy of the amp jpg.
thank you.
i will do that.
 
just a little info

gogofast ,I'm the one who picked one of these up a while back

Its a two channel stereo useing 6973 output tubes of unknown power as I haven't gotten that far yet. It uses a 7199 tube as a preamp tube I think as I'm learning here my self. I just got done repairing my amp just yesterday, Replaced power supply caps, power supply diodes, four bypass or are they coupling caps anyway they got replaced with orange drops, rebuilt(restuffed multi section can cap ) and the amp is good to go. now iI need to trun my attention to the tuner/preamp as I belive it also has some caps in need of replacing.

Not to hijack his thread but I cannot find any info on this console. I am in need of the schmetics on this unit, Can some one help me ? englissa

those tubes are getting very hard to find as im told i just picked up an amp with the same ones tubes 6973 if you take a look at the post i did the other day mhrdy sent me a link for the replacements
 
OOooooo . . . more Ampex scores !

gogofast - I snagged a complete Ampex console a few months ago, and it has the dual monoblock version of that amp . . Still trying to track down a 6973 GE tube, and need a few more caps, BUT, I think allthis ampex stuff rocks.

I too am in new territory with the Ampex stuff - I can point you to my thread, which has shots of the speakers, amps,, and other goodies . . .

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121169&highlight=ampex

I can also tell you the speakers sound REALLY nice - mhardy and I put the 8 inch mid / woofers on some open baffles, and they sounded great - the tweeters are cool little designs - 3 inch cone, funky metal phase plug . .

good luck and keep us posted !
 
gogofast - I snagged a complete Ampex console a few months ago, and it has the dual monoblock version of that amp . . Still trying to track down a 6973 GE tube, and need a few more caps, BUT, I think allthis ampex stuff rocks.

I too am in new territory with the Ampex stuff - I can point you to my thread, which has shots of the speakers, amps,, and other goodies . . .

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121169&highlight=ampex

I can also tell you the speakers sound REALLY nice - mhardy and I put the 8 inch mid / woofers on some open baffles, and they sounded great - the tweeters are cool little designs - 3 inch cone, funky metal phase plug . .

good luck and keep us posted !

those mono blocks are the real jackpot. my brother has a pair of those with separate pre, and they sound like heaven. i'm glad to hear that those drivers work in open baffle set up - that's what i was gonna do with them too. i'll post pictures once i get it today. thanks!!:thmbsp:
 
oh yeah, i remember that thread markus.
did you break your wrist cleaning those things?:D
looks like some birds took it as a nest for awhile.
 
Still trying to track down a 6973 GE tube

Most of the 6973s made were by RCA. GE used RCA 6973s, so if you can find an RCA, that would do just as well. There are a few oddball 6973's out there by Westinghouse and Sylvania, though they are far a few between. You can almost immediately recognize them - short and non-flat plates. I am hesitant to buy them because the RCAs typically go for the same price and I know they sound great.

good luck
 
Last ones I bought were in the $10-$30 range off ebay. That's been a year or two. Everything's more expensive at the audio tube dealers. Of course, you might get matched pairs that way, etc. There are a host of other dealers that cater more to the antique radio crowd, and you might find them cheaper there, or take your chances on ebay. I laid in a half dozen spare used ones for my monoblocks. Still don't have the amps up and running though.
 
got the console this morning.
the sad news is that it's not in as good of a shape as the seller explained.:thumbsdn: turns on, but no fm reception at all, reel to reel deck is completly shot, turntable is in coo coo shape. speakers are not what i expected either. i see a simple horn that's very similar to magnavox console horns and probably GE woofers (looking at the magnet). worst of all, all the tubes have been replaced with rca and tung sol!:thumbsdn:

i paid the guy little less than what he asked for initially, but still a lot of money (lets say around $100) for something of this condition. i couldn't cut the price more considering that he delivered this to my garage and all. atleast the power amp looks to be working fine. that's the only positive thing.:thmbsp: i will definately take the power amp out and rebuild it. looks to be very simple. probably needs to change the location of power plug and speaker connector. lamp and level control can look really cool when modified - being in the front pannel.

i will post some pictures later today.:thmbsp:
 
GOGOFAST sorry to hear that you were somewhat mislead to its condition, most likely you will need to rebuild the amp and tuner/preamp. The amp is very straight foward except setting the bias as I have yet to do it on mine, after I replaced the power supply parts I fired it up and it work but had a bad hum, about ten minuted into listening to it the can cap took a crap, most likely you will need to do something with yours, maybe not if luckey ???. I got my parts from mouser. I bought mine mainly for the tuner/preamp and amp, the cabinet it in too good of shape to trash so I'll hold on to it for a while. I havent even messed with the turntable or reel to reel. Here is a link to some pictures of mine http://members.dandy.net/~englissa/Ampex Console/

englissa
 
GOGOFAST sorry to hear that you were somewhat mislead to its condition, most likely you will need to rebuild the amp and tuner/preamp. The amp is very straight foward except setting the bias as I have yet to do it on mine, after I replaced the power supply parts I fired it up and it work but had a bad hum, about ten minuted into listening to it the can cap took a crap, most likely you will need to do something with yours, maybe not if luckey ???. I got my parts from mouser. I bought mine mainly for the tuner/preamp and amp, the cabinet it in too good of shape to trash so I'll hold on to it for a while. I havent even messed with the turntable or reel to reel. Here is a link to some pictures of mine http://members.dandy.net/~englissa/Ampex Console/

englissa

englissa, how do you go about setting the bias on these things? this thing has no bias adjuster. i mean as long as the resistors and caps are up to spec, bias will conform, right?
i hooked up the power amp with my other preamp and tt, and it sounds very good. though there are hum probably from bad caps, it sounds very very good to my standard. this thing has some beefy irons and huge power cap values....lots of $$$ to be spend replacing them...

on your amp, what do you mean it took a crap? stopped working? i found replacing power caps to be somewhat pain in the butt sometimes. specially the grounding issue - thus the hum. i had same issues before but was able to trouble shoot and get rid of the hum to minimum. i hope it works out for your amp.
 
For the time being I left the bias pots alone till I find out the procedure,It does have bias pots. On each side of the can cap their are two holes, these are for adjustments. The rebuild wasnt to bad price wise, The main caps are the most expensive and their not that costly. I listened to mine using the units tuner/preamp their still is a pretty good hum still in it so it could sound better but all and all i'll go decent on the sound. If i used good preamp which i dont have readly handy yes I probbly would agree the sound would be fairly good
 
Back
Top Bottom